Home Forums Theater 2019 Tony Awards: Reactions

2019 Tony Awards: Reactions

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 161 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
50 years ago
( +3 hidden )
replies
views
users
Jeffrey Kare
Djoko
Singsongoflov..
  • Djoko
    Participant
    Topics:

There’s no race lol. Whether Hadestown announces a tour or not they’re still winning.

FreemanGriffin
    Participant
    Topics:

The one thing I was thinking about in Gray vs Stroker is that Featured Actress has often gone to someone who appears in a Rodgers & Hammerstein musical… I still have Stroker in my predictions but am uncertain about it. I feel pretty confident in most categories, but the design categories (Lighting and Sound) always are hard for me to predict.

I am also unsure about Featured Actor in a Play but am going with Bertie Carvel for Ink; he’s the only older actor in the category, and is well liked from Matilda – not sure about it but I’ve noticed that actors such as Richard McCabe, Reed Birney and Ian McDiarmid win instead of younger actors so I will stick with Carvel in my predictions…

adamunc
    Participant
    Topics:

The one thing I was thinking about in Gray vs Stroker is that Featured Actress has often gone to someone who appears in a Rodgers & Hammerstein musical… I still have Stroker in my predictions but am uncertain about it. I feel pretty confident in most categories, but the design categories (Lighting and Sound) always are hard for me to predict.

I am also unsure about Featured Actor in a Play but am going with Bertie Carvel for Ink; he’s the only older actor in the category, and is well liked from Matilda – not sure about it but I’ve noticed that actors such as Richard McCabe, Reed Birney and Ian McDiarmid win instead of younger actors so I will stick with Carvel in my predictions…

Featured Actor is a bear between Carvel and Walker. I get your point about the older actors, but in 2017, Michael Aronov beat out a category full of much older vets and in 2010 Eddie Redmayne beat out David Alan Grier and Stephen Henderson. Recent history also shows a pretty even split between new plays and revivals in winners for this category. Carvel’s role in Ink isn’t really that big in terms of stage time, but he’s quite memorable. This seems to be homegrown boy Walker’s sort of breakthrough role in terms of reviews in a prestige show, so I’m slightly leaning that way right now, but I think this one will be a photo-finish.

Sound is such a toss-up. My only real criteria for judging it is could I hear it or not, and that’s not very exact. I’d love to know what the experts who vote in that category are looking at when comparing nominees.

Lighting in a Play is another toughie. My memory of Network is that it was just a lot of bright lighting because it was mostly set on a television stage. Ink had a couple of lighting effects with crossing spots during confrontations. For right now, I’m going with The Ferryman; the lighting there really made an impression on me because it was so evocative of different times of day as we follow this extended family through a morning, afternoon, and night. It was essential to the changing moods of the piece.

Jeffrey Kare
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m currently predicting Benjamin Walker to win Featured Actor in a Play because with All My Sons being a big contender for Revival, I think that he might be the production’s best shot at an acting prize. Though I can see Annette Bening being a threat Elaine May in Lead Actress.

Singsongoflove01
    Participant
    Topics:

The one thing I was thinking about in Gray vs Stroker is that Featured Actress has often gone to someone who appears in a Rodgers & Hammerstein musical… I still have Stroker in my predictions but am uncertain about it. I feel pretty confident in most categories, but the design categories (Lighting and Sound) always are hard for me to predict. I am also unsure about Featured Actor in a Play but am going with Bertie Carvel for Ink; he’s the only older actor in the category, and is well liked from Matilda – not sure about it but I’ve noticed that actors such as Richard McCabe, Reed Birney and Ian McDiarmid win instead of younger actors so I will stick with Carvel in my predictions…

Rodgers & Hammerstein shows have a track record to be sure but this revival really has people divided. I still have Stroker picked (Gray is doing very special work in her show and is more deserving). However the divisive nature of this revival makes me wonder. I think Stroker has it and let’s be honest this might be her one chance. Amber Gray is going to be a big star and will likely have other chances-maybe for a leading actress award.

I’m sticking with Carvel for now in featured actor in a play. I loved Walker in All My Sons but a lot of people thought Carvel should’ve won for Matilda so this is his make up award.

adamunc
    Participant
    Topics:

The good news is the Times poll will tell us which way the voters are heading in Revival. If All My Sons is leading, I would be comfortable saying Walker goes along for the ride. If it’s not, it begs the question of whether they snub it altogether.

I still think May has it in the bag and will be one of those rare acting winners from a closed show. A massive percentage of voters are in the age group dealing with aging parents and that performance will stick with them.

Awardsfan1990
    Participant
    Topics:

For Featured Actress In A Musical, right now I’m leaning toward Ali Stroker, because in my research, I noticed that only one Best Revival Of A Musical winner this decade failed to take home at least one acting award, that being Once On This Island. Plus, Stroker’s been hailed by many as the standout in Oklahoma!, and she’s certainly been promoting herself a lot with performances on The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon and Live With Kelly & Ryan.

Hadestown will probably win at least one acting award. Andre De Shields has still never won a Tony, so voters may be keen to finally see him get his due. And if the negative critical backlash against The Cher Show as a whole prevents voters from giving it to Stephanie J. Block, perhaps Eva Noblezada wins, or maybe Beth Leavel from The Prom, since they may feel they need to give The Prom at least one major award.

Djoko
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m really hoping the Times poll doesn’t only do the lead categories, but in recent years they haven’t done featured. Since they’ll discuss musical and musical revival, I’m almost certain they’ll mention how big of a support Hadestown and Oklahoma! have. If Oklahoma! only gets votes just because they have to vote for it out of two nominees then most likely Stroker doesn’t have the support over Gray.

FreemanGriffin
    Participant
    Topics:

I just looked up Sam Eckmann’s updated predictions and we are only in disagreement in 2 categories this year! (Featured Actor and Featured Actress in a Musical). I always compete with Sam every year in my mind to see if being in NYC helps or hinders! (; He often switches a few predictions at the last minute so I will wait and see…. (;

Singsongoflove01
    Participant
    Topics:

For Featured Actress In A Musical, right now I’m leaning toward Ali Stroker, because in my research, I noticed that only one Best Revival Of A Musical winner this decade failed to take home at least one acting award, that being Once On This Island. Plus, Stroker’s been hailed by many as the standout in Oklahoma!, and she’s certainly been promoting herself a lot with performances on The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon and Live With Kelly & Ryan. Hadestown will probably win at least one acting award. Andre De Shields has still never won a Tony, so voters may be keen to finally see him get his due. And if the negative critical backlash against The Cher Show as a whole prevents voters from giving it to Stephanie J. Block, perhaps Eva Noblezada wins, or maybe Beth Leavel from The Prom, since they may feel they need to give The Prom at least one major award.

Once on This Island’s situation isn’t so very different from Oklahoma! There’s a new show with a ton of noms and limited options for revival. There’s a board of very educated theatergoers who are really divided over Oklahoma! Now while the Drama League isn’t the best indicator of the Tonys it’s rather shocking that Kiss Me, Kate best out Oklahoma!

It made me go hmmm just a little.

Anton Spivack
    Participant
    Topics:

I used to think Stephanie J. Block would win Best Actress, but perhaps Tonys voters will swing toward The Prom and Caitlin Kinnunen will win.  A new musical that isn’t up for Best Musical hasn’t won an acting Tony since Aida in 2000.

Jeffrey Kare
    Participant
    Topics:

Once on This Island’s situation isn’t so very different from Oklahoma! There’s a new show with a ton of noms and limited options for revival. There’s a board of very educated theatergoers who are really divided over Oklahoma! Now while the Drama League isn’t the best indicator of the Tonys it’s rather shocking that Kiss Me, Kate best out Oklahoma!.

It made me go hmmm just a little.

It is worth noting that the last time a production won Best Revival of a Musical without a directing nomination was 2005. Though that year, each of the four nominees for Best Direction of a Musical were also the exact same shows nominated for Best Musical.

Jeffrey Kare
    Participant
    Topics:

I used to think Stephanie J. Block would win Best Actress, but perhaps Tonys voters will swing toward The Prom and Caitlin Kinnunen will win. A new musical that isn’t up for Best Musical hasn’t won an acting Tony since Aida in 2000.

Of the two actresses nominated for The Prom, I think Beth Leavel may be the more likely standout. Though I can see Eva Noblezada winning for Hadestown given that it is the Best Musical frontrunner.

adamunc
    Participant
    Topics:

I really don’t think Noblezada is a threat. She sounds great, but it’s just not a Tony-winning role, regardless of the show’s status. No big showcases and it feels like an ensemble part.

Singsongoflove01
    Participant
    Topics:

I really don’t think Noblezada is a threat. She sounds great, but it’s just not a Tony-winning role, regardless of the show’s status. No big showcases and it feels like an ensemble part.

Christine Ebersole in 42nd Street could be compared. Eva sure has presence and doesn’t feel like an ensemble part.

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 161 total)

The topic ‘2019 Tony Awards: Reactions’ is closed to new replies.