Home Forums Theater 2019 Tony Awards: Reactions

2019 Tony Awards: Reactions

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 161 total)
Created
7 months ago
Last Reply
50 years ago
( +3 hidden )
replies
views
users
Jeffrey Kare
Djoko
Singsongoflov..
  • Djoko
    Participant
    Topics:

In Michael Riedel’s latest column, he talks about how he thinks several Tony races are shaping up.
    https://nypost.com/2019/05/30/tony-awards-favorites-aint-too-proud-could-pull-off-upset-win/

By the way, he also confirms that Lead Actress in a Play frontrunner, Elaine May, will be attending the Tonys, which is good to hear since she is usually elusive and reclusive.

Jeffrey Kare, how many times do I have to tell you to stop posting Riedel’s nonsense. The fact that he can only get a job at conservative trash like the NY Post speaks for itself.

Jeffrey Kare
    Participant
    Topics:

I just wanted to see everyone’s response to them.

The Artist Formerly Known as Xander Cassel
    Participant
    Topics:

In Michael Riedel’s latest column, he talks about how he thinks several Tony races are shaping up. https://nypost.com/2019/05/30/tony-awards-favorites-aint-too-proud-could-pull-off-upset-win/ By the way, he also confirms that Lead Actress in a Play frontrunner, Elaine May, will be attending the Tonys, which is good to hear since she is usually elusive and reclusive.

So we know Ain’t Too Proud isn’t winning.

Also, I still can’t get over Brantley thinking that Tootsie is winning Musical

Djoko
    Participant
    Topics:

First Riedel picked The Prom then he picked Hadestown when it came out to raves and then he picked Tootsie when it came out. Now he says Ain’t Too Proud is surging when we know it has no chance of winning. He just makes up this crap as he goes along because he has nothing else to fill up his column. I wouldn’t be surprised if he gets paid to give good press to certain shows, especially right before the Tonys.

Jeffrey Kare
    Participant
    Topics:

Riedel is the same guy who predicted Best Musical would go to Newsies instead of Once, Matilda instead of Kinky Boots, Beautiful instead of Gentleman’s Guide, and An American in Paris instead of Fun Home.

Singsongoflove01
    Participant
    Topics:

Riedel is the same guy who predicted Best Musical would go to Newsies instead of Once, Matilda instead of Kinky Boots, Beautiful instead of Gentleman’s Guide, and An American in Paris instead of Fun Home.

Riedel has a knack for picking every show but the eventual winner. The year of Dear Evan Hansen he had to be persuaded and cajoled at the last minute into admitting Dear Evan Hansen was winning.

Jeffrey Kare
    Participant
    Topics:

Though while he did correctly forecasted that The Band’s Visit would win Best Musical last year, he still predicted that Tina Fey would win Best Book. I never once bought into that hoopla at all because I highly doubted that Mean Girls even had snob appeal. The year before, Tony voters really had such an amazing opportunity to spread the wealth by giving Book to Come From Away and Score to Dear Evan Hansen, yet the latter swept through both of those categories. If they couldn’t have done it then, I did not think they would all of the sudden do it by giving Book to a show that skews very young.

Djoko
    Participant
    Topics:

Though while he did correctly forecasted that The Band’s Visit would win Best Musical last year, he still predicted that Tina Fey would win Best Book. I never once bought into that hoopla at all because I highly doubted that Mean Girls even had snob appeal. The year before, Tony voters really had such an amazing opportunity to spread the wealth by giving Book to Come From Away and Score to Dear Evan Hansen, yet the latter swept through both of those categories. If they couldn’t have done it then, I did not think they would all of the sudden do it by giving Book to a show that skews very young.

Also, anyone who has seen the Mean Girls movie knows she used a lot of the same jokes for the show so the Book was very unoriginal.

The Artist Formerly Known as Xander Cassel
    Participant
    Topics:

Though while he did correctly forecasted that The Band’s Visit would win Best Musical last year

That doesn’t count. I knew Band’s Visit was winning as soon as the cast recording was released.

FreemanGriffin
    Participant
    Topics:

My current predictions for Sunday:

Best Play: The Ferryman
    Best Revival: The Waverly Gallery
    Best Director: Sam Mendes, The Ferryman
    Best Actor: Bryan Cranston, Network
    Best Actress: Elaine May, The Waverly Gallery
    Best Featured Actor: Bertie Carvel, Ink
    Best Featured Actress: Celia Keenan-Bolger, To Kill a Mockingbird
    Best Scenic Design: The Ferryman
    Best Costume Design: Gary: A Sequel To Titus Andronicus
    Best Lighting Design: The Ferryman
    Best Sound Design: The Ferryman

Best Musical: Hadestown
    Best Revival: Oklahoma!
    Best Score: Anais Mitchell, Hadestown
    Best Book: Anais Mitchell, Hadestown
    Best Director: Rachel Chavkin, Hadestown
    Best Actor: Santino Fontana, Tootsie
    Best Actress: Stephanie J Block, The Cher Show
    Best Featured Actor: Andre de Shields, Hadestown
    Best Featured Actress: Ali Stroker, Oklahoma!
    Best Choreography: Warren Carlyle, Kiss Me, Kate
    Best Orchestrations: Hadestown
    Best Scenic Design: Beetlejuice
    Best Costume Design: Bob Mackie, The Cher Show
    Best Lighting Design: Hadestown
    Best Sound Design: Hadestown

Jeffrey Kare
    Participant
    Topics:

Broadway World has just published an Industry Editor Exclusive about how the new voting system for this year works.
    https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Industry-Editor-Exclusive-Tidbits-on-the-2019-Tony-Awards-20190604

montana82
    Participant
    Topics:

Theater Talk did a predictions special! Yassss

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBeflXFkM3I

"Here's a wonderfully b*tchy post from Montana82...." - Tom O'Neill Emmy Prediction Slugfest August 1st, 2019

Djoko
    Participant
    Topics:

Theater Talk did a predictions special! Yassss

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBeflXFkM3I

This is the first time I have ever watched this stupid show and I wanted to know do they have any reviewers on there under 50? Anybody who can ever give a young perspective on theatre or are they all pretentious older people? This is the problem with most of the theatre reviewers today. I just can’t wait for the Times poll, which is the only thing that matters before the Tonys.

adamunc
    Participant
    Topics:

Critics often make the worst prognosticators, because they can’t separate their own opinions from other factors.

FreemanGriffin
    Participant
    Topics:

Does anyone know when the Times poll is coming out? Tomorrow or Friday? Looking forward to it! (:

A category that is driving me nuts is Best Revival of a Play: All My Sons or The Waverly Gallery? If it’s the former it will be like Once On This Island last year, winning without any other wins (unless Benjamin Walker wins instead of Bertie Carvel, which is possible), whereas I believe that Elaine May is a lock for Best Actress in a Play. I am totally uncertain but am predicting The Waverly Gallery, despite it’s having closed a long time ago. It’s a gut feeling but IDK for certain at all!

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 161 total)

The topic ‘2019 Tony Awards: Reactions’ is closed to new replies.