Home Forums Theater 2019 Tony Awards Predictions Center Now Active

2019 Tony Awards Predictions Center Now Active

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 241 through 255 (of 334 total)
Created
6 months ago
Last Reply
3 months ago
replies
views
users
Jeffrey Kare
prognosticator
Anton Spivack
  • Jeffrey Kare
    Participant
    Topics:

Remember four years ago when a lot of us predicted The Audience was going to receive a Best Play nomination along with The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time, Hand to God, and Wolf Hall? We were proven wrong as the more acclaimed play, Disgraced, took the fourth slot instead despite having already shuttered a couple months beforehand. After all, The Audience was more acclaimed for the performances by Helen Mirren and Richard McCabe as well as the costumes, but not so much the play itself.

I have a feeling that Network is going to be treated similarly by the nominating committee as it was more acclaimed for Bryan Cranston’s performance as well as a lot of the design elements, but not so much the play itself.

ReplyCopy URL
    Awardsfan1990
    Participant
    Topics:

If both the Outer Critics Circle and Drama Desk nominate Network, then I’ll predict it for the Tonys, but maybe in 4th or 5th place.

ReplyCopy URL
    Jeffrey Kare
    Participant
    Topics:

Keep in mind that voters from both the Outer Critics Circle and Drama Desk don’t overlap with the Tonys. They’re all completely separate voting bodies. We’ve seen productions in the past like American Psycho and Anastasia receive tons of nominations from the first two awards groups, yet very little from the Tony nominating committee. So it’s important to take everything they say with a grain of salt.

• This reply was modified 4 months, 4 weeks ago by  Jeffrey Kare.
    • This reply was modified 4 months, 4 weeks ago by  Jeffrey Kare.
    ReplyCopy URL
    prognosticator
    Participant
    Topics:

Keep in mind that voters from both the Outer Critics Circle and Drama Desk don’t overlap with the Tonys. They’re all completely separate voting bodies. We’ve seen productions in the past like American Psycho and Anastasia receive tons of nominations from the first two awards groups, yet very little from the Tony nominating committee. So it’s important to take everything they say with a grain of salt.

Also a lot of stuff won’t be eligible.

ReplyCopy URL
    FreemanGriffin
    Participant
    Topics:

What’s up with the New York Times? His review of All My Sons was SCATHING! Totally negative. All of the other reviews of the production were positive, mostly raves. Really strange… How will All My Sons do in the nominations? I don’t think it will do all that well, and am not predicting Letts or Bening, but think the reviews – despite the Times – will get it in to Best Revival…

Three more shows to open – Tootsie (tonight), Ink, and Beetlejuice…

ReplyCopy URL
    Jeffrey Kare
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m now predicting All My Sons to receive 5 nominations for…

Best Revival of a Play
    Best Lead Actor in a Play (Tracy Letts)
    Best Lead Actress in a Play (Annette Bening)
    Best Featured Actor in a Play (Benjamin Walker)
    Best Direction of a Play (Jack O’Brien)

ReplyCopy URL
    prognosticator
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m now predicting All My Sons to receive 5 nominations for…

Best Revival of a Play
    Best Lead Actor in a Play (Tracy Letts)
    Best Lead Actress in a Play (Annette Bening)
    Best Featured Actor in a Play (Benjamin Walker)
    Best Direction of a Play (Jack O’Brien)

Annette was so good. Jesse Green must’ve seen a different show than I did. I’m still thinking about it. She and Benjamin Walker were really good. Annette really nailed the layers.

ReplyCopy URL
    FreemanGriffin
    Participant
    Topics:

The reviews are in for Tootsie and they are valentines, especially for Santino Fontana! (: So it looks like it is indeed Hadestown vs. Tootsie, and that my fave Santino will win for Best Actor in a Musical! (: IDK if it will get any featured performer nominations and it will be interesting to see who gets in those categories for both musicals and plays – they are really harder than usual to predict this year!

ReplyCopy URL
    prognosticator
    Participant
    Topics:

The reviews are in for Tootsie and they are valentines, especially for Santino Fontana! (: So it looks like it is indeed Hadestown vs. Tootsie, and that my fave Santino will win for Best Actor in a Musical! (: IDK if it will get any featured performer nominations and it will be interesting to see who gets in those categories for both musicals and plays – they are really harder than usual to predict this year!

Tootsie is winning everything! Book, score, musical, featured actor for Andy Greuteleschen or one of the other featured actors and some other awards no doubt. A beautiful, big comedy!!

ReplyCopy URL
    Djoko
    Participant
    Topics:

Tootsie is winning everything! Book, score, musical, featured actor for Andy Greuteleschen or one of the other features actors, featured actress for Julie Halston, best direction and choreography. A beautiful, big comedy!!

You are probably the worst predictor on here. (If you’re actually being serious with this post)

ReplyCopy URL
    prognosticator
    Participant
    Topics:

You are probably the worst predictor on here. (If you’re actually being serious with this post)

I do think it’ll win book, score, musical and actor as well as featured actress at the very least. Just a little bit of history repeating. It’s like when Kinky Boots won.

ReplyCopy URL
    Djoko
    Participant
    Topics:

I do think it’ll win book, score, musical and actor as well as featured actress at the very least. Just a little bit of history repeating. It’s like when Kinky Boots won.

This is not even close to like when Kinky Boots won. Jeffrey Kare, this is why I just can’t sometimes on this board.

ReplyCopy URL
    Anton Spivack
    Participant
    Topics:

Don’t forget The Prom.  That makes three frontrunners.  And then we have to see if Beetlejuice is a viable candidate.

ReplyCopy URL
    eastwest
    Participant
    Topics:

Has an actor or actress ever been nominated for performances in each genre in the same year before?

ReplyCopy URL
    Djoko
    Participant
    Topics:

Tootsie’s reviews were good, but not even close to Hadestown or even The Prom. They’re not going to award a middle-of-the-road production with the top award over much better shows. I can see Tootsie winning Actor and Book, but that’s it.

Just to refresh everyone’s memory. You’ll see a major difference:

https://www.show-score.com/broadway-shows/hadestown-broadway

https://www.show-score.com/broadway-shows/the-prom

https://www.show-score.com/broadway-shows/tootsie-broadway

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 241 through 255 (of 334 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.