Home Forums Theater 2019 Tony Awards Predictions Center Now Active

2019 Tony Awards Predictions Center Now Active

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 271 through 285 (of 334 total)
Created
3 months ago
Last Reply
1 week ago
replies
views
users
Jeffrey Kare
prognosticator
Anton Spivack
  • prognosticator
    Participant
    Topics:

The administration committee has recently met for the last time this season, and they’ve determined eligibility on the following productions: King Lear, Oklahoma!, Burn This, Hadestown, Hillary and Clinton, Gary: A Sequel to Titus Andronicus, Arthur Miller’s All My Sons, Tootsie, Ink, and Beetlejuice.
    https://www.tonyawards.com/news/tony-awards-eligibility-for-2019-part-4/

The Committee announced the following:

*Jayne Houdyshell, Elizabeth Marvel, Aisling O’Sullivan, Ruth Wilson, Pedro Pascal and John Douglas Thompson will be considered eligible in the Best Performance by an Actress/Actor in a Featured Role in a Play categories for their respective performances in King Lear.

*Damon Daunno and Rebecca Naomi Jones will be considered eligible in the Best Performance by an Actor/Actress in Leading Role in a Musical categories for their respective performances in Rodgers and Hammerstein’s Oklahoma!.

*Reeve Carney and Eva Noblezada will be considered eligible in the Best Performance by an Actor/Actress in a Leading Role in a Musical categories for their respective performances in Hadestown.

*Benjamin Walker will be considered eligible in the Best Performance by an Actor in a Featured Role in a Play category for his performance in Arthur Miller’s All My Sons.

*Santino Fontana will be considered eligible in the Best Performance by an Actor in a Leading Role in a Musical category for his performance in Tootsie.

*Jonny Lee Miller will be considered eligible in the Best Performance by an Actor in a Leading Role in a Play category for his performance in Ink.

*Alex Brightman and Sophia Anne Caruso will be considered eligible in the Best Performance by an Actor/Actress in a Leading Role in a Musical categories for their respective performances in Beetlejuice.

*Kenneth Posner and Peter Nigrini will be considered jointly eligible in the Best Lighting Design of a Musical category for their work on Beetlejuice.

I think Walker will get in featured actor in a play. I think Alex Brightman will get in for leading actor in a mustcal. Featured actress in a musical is packed. Thinking Cooper, Stroker, Stiles, Styles and Testa are the nominees. Poor Amber Gray can’t catch a break.

ReplyCopy URL
    Jeffrey Kare
    Participant
    Topics:

How many times do we have to keep reminding you that Amber Gray wasn’t eligible at both the Outer Critics Circle and Drama Desk Awards for Hadestown given that she already was the show’s prior engagement Off-Broadway?

• This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by  Jeffrey Kare.
    • This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by  Jeffrey Kare.
    ReplyCopy URL
    prognosticator
    Participant
    Topics:

How many times do we have to keep reminding you that Amber Gray wasn’t eligible at both the Outer Critics Circle and Drama Desk Awards for Hadestown given that she already was the show’s prior engagement Off-Broadway?

She was eligible for the OCC and nominated. But I think Tootsie and Oklahoma are going to overshadow Hadestown. She’s going to be snubbed yet again.

ReplyCopy URL
    Anton Spivack
    Participant
    Topics:

I think it’s going to be Grey, Hsu, Stiles, Stroker and Testa for Featured Actress in a musical.  It’s a shame Bonnie Milligan might get snubbed.  For leading actress I’d pick Block, Kinnunen, Leavel, Noblezada and O’Hara.

ReplyCopy URL
    Djoko
    Participant
    Topics:

Take Hsu out and maybe put Halston in for Tootsie. I’m starting to think she’ll get in.

Gray will get in. You’re gaga for Tootsie for some reason.

ReplyCopy URL
    prognosticator
    Participant
    Topics:

Gray will get in. You’re gaga for Tootsie for some reason.

Because it’s actually a musical and not a staged concert? I actually only liked Amber Gray and Patrick Page in Hadestown. They actually had arcs. No one else is as well drawn.

ReplyCopy URL
    Xander Cassel
    Participant
    Topics:

She was eligible for the OCC and nominated. But I think Tootsie and Oklahoma are going to overshadow Hadestown. She’s going to be snubbed yet again.

Let me get this straight: you think that Amber Grey, already a snubee for Great Comet, second in the GoldDerby predictions center, the most consistently praised part of the most consistently praised show on Broadway (even from reviews that are more mixed or negative, Grey has been getting praise), will not only not win (entirely possible, with Testa in the race as well), but will miss a nomination entirely? Even without me being a Hadestown stan I can see how dumb that is.

ReplyCopy URL
    prognosticator
    Participant
    Topics:

Let me get this straight: you think that Amber Grey, already a snubee for Great Comet, second in the GoldDerby predictions center, the most consistently praised part of the most consistently praised show on Broadway (even from reviews that are more mixed or negative, Grey has been getting praise), will not only not win (entirely possible, with Testa in the race as well), but will miss a nomination entirely? Even without me being a Hadestown stan I can see how dumb that is.

Ali will win and I said I liked Amber and Patrick. Liking isn’t winning. And stans are horrible people. Part of the distaste I have for this show-the obnoxious obsessive stans.

ReplyCopy URL
    Xander Cassel
    Participant
    Topics:

Ali will win

I do think it’ll win book, score, musical and actor as well as featured actress at the very least. Just a little bit of history repeating. It’s like when Kinky Boots won.

and I said I liked Amber and Patrick. Liking isn’t winning.

Tootsie is winning everything!

And stans are horrible people. Part of the distaste I have for this show-the obnoxious obsessive stans.

Tootsie is winning everything! Book, score, musical, featured actor for Andy Greuteleschen or one of the other featured actors and some other awards no doubt. A beautiful, big comedy!!

I do think it’ll win book, score, musical and actor as well as featured actress at the very least. Just a little bit of history repeating. It’s like when Kinky Boots won.

Because it’s actually a musical and not a staged concert? I actually only liked Amber Gray and Patrick Page in Hadestown. They actually had arcs. No one else is as well drawn.

My left eyebrow has escaped my forehead and is currently somewhere in the stratosphere. Thanks for that.

ReplyCopy URL
    Djoko
    Participant
    Topics:

Ali will win and I said I liked Amber and Patrick. Liking isn’t winning. And stans are horrible people. Part of the distaste I have for this show-the obnoxious obsessive stans.

I’m not a Hadestown stan – it’s just infinitely better than Tootsie and moderately better than The Prom. But you’re definitely a Tootsie “stan” for some reason.

As for featured actress, Stroker was unfortunately not in when I saw Oklahoma!, but even with what her understudy did I can’t imagine her doing anything that amazing. Testa was even worse and had to leave at intermission. Her understudy was so much better than her in the second act. I much prefer Amber Gray for Hadestown or Sarah Stiles for Tootsie. I’d be happy if either of them won.

ReplyCopy URL
    Lindsayisagoddess
    Participant
    Topics:

I think Tootsie and Oklahoma are going to overshadow Hadestown.

Based on what? Hadestown has been the talk of the season, and received much more consistent praise than Tootsie, both from critics and audiences. Hadestown also escaped the industry bias against commodity musicals, so how are you imagining Tootsie will overshadow Hadestown?

ReplyCopy URL
    prognosticator
    Participant
    Topics:

Based on what? Hadestown has been the talk of the season, and received much more consistent praise than Tootsie, both from critics and audiences. Hadestown also escaped the industry bias against commodity musicals, so how are you imagining Tootsie will overshadow Hadestown?

Read Hadestown’s reviews then read Tootsie’s. One received mixed while the other got pretty darn close to universal raves. Teenie bopper fans don’t count for very much.

ReplyCopy URL
    Anton Spivack
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m pulling for Ali.  Not just because of her performance, but considering how only 2% of characters in TV and movies are disabled, and 94% of them are played by nondisabled actors, to see a wheelchair user win a Tony would be a major advancement.

ReplyCopy URL
    Djoko
    Participant
    Topics:

Read Hadestown’s reviews then read Tootsie’s. One received mixed while the other got pretty darn close to universal raves. Teenie bopper fans don’t count for very much.

Let’s see about those “universal raves”:

“Despite its razzle-dazzle, ‘Tootsie’ feels empty at the center. It’s all but impossible to sympathize with the lead, and it’s hard to be that interested in the woman he falls for…Sour center or not, ‘Tootsie’s’ got bushels of exceptional talent toiling away on it, and these serious chops go a long way toward buoying up the show. I just can’t help wishing that we’d all start spending fewer resources on dragging the past, kick-lining and screaming, into the present.”
    https://www.vulture.com/2019/04/theater-review-can-tootsie-work-when-its-not-1982.html

“The Broadway version of the 1982 movie is both chaotic and apologetic, with a sharper and better book than it has music. The show has speeches grafted into it about gender inequality and feminist respect that stand out like absurd sore thumbs.. The book…is witty and sharp…If the words are mostly on point, the music, design, and choreography of ‘Tootsie’ rarely rise above meh…This ‘Tootsie’ is slightly lost in its own cloud of sequins and cultural intent.”
    https://www.thedailybeast.com/tootsie-on-broadway-a-cross-dressing-classic-gets-a-large-spoonful-of-woke?source=articles&via=rss&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

“Substandard…Yazbek rehashes the busy, jazzy rhythms of his earlier works…Horn’s book is chock-full of one-liners…Ellis’ production is busy but empty and uninspired…Fontana navigates the role’s unique physical challenges, but he lacks the necessary obnoxious edge. The supporting cast members bring doses of personality and comic sensibility, but it is hardly sufficient to save ‘Tootsie.’”
    https://www.amny.com/entertainment/tootsie-review-1.30156295

“But ‘Tootsie’ struggles mightily to get past one problem…It needs to punish Michael for his ruse…And yet, the show well knows that everyone has come to see Dorothy Michaels…The show wants both to deconstruct ‘Tootsie’, and snag its nostalgic fans.”
    https://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/broadway/ny-review-chris-jones-tootsie-broadway-20190424-wpqyylhetzgdhjpkvitm5giyvy-story.html

“But when they strike up the band, the workmanlike score, by David Yazbek, drains most of the fizz from the champagne. Yazbek won a Tony last year for “The Band’s Visit,” which certainly marks his finest achievement to date. (I still felt it was ersatz-sounding Middle Eastern music, but never mind.) With his songs for “Tootsie,” unfortunately, he reverts to the familiar form on display in “The Full Monty,” “Dirty Rotten Scoundrels” and “Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown.” Which is to say: pleasant, generic-show-tune competence, with the occasional bright flash of inspiration.”
    https://broadway.news/2019/04/23/review-tootsie-gets-the-laughs-but-not-the-music/

ReplyCopy URL
    prognosticator
    Participant
    Topics:

Let’s see about those “universal raves”:

“Despite its razzle-dazzle, ‘Tootsie’ feels empty at the center. It’s all but impossible to sympathize with the lead, and it’s hard to be that interested in the woman he falls for…Sour center or not, ‘Tootsie’s’ got bushels of exceptional talent toiling away on it, and these serious chops go a long way toward buoying up the show. I just can’t help wishing that we’d all start spending fewer resources on dragging the past, kick-lining and screaming, into the present.”
    https://www.vulture.com/2019/04/theater-review-can-tootsie-work-when-its-not-1982.html

“The Broadway version of the 1982 movie is both chaotic and apologetic, with a sharper and better book than it has music. The show has speeches grafted into it about gender inequality and feminist respect that stand out like absurd sore thumbs.. The book…is witty and sharp…If the words are mostly on point, the music, design, and choreography of ‘Tootsie’ rarely rise above meh…This ‘Tootsie’ is slightly lost in its own cloud of sequins and cultural intent.”
    https://www.thedailybeast.com/tootsie-on-broadway-a-cross-dressing-classic-gets-a-large-spoonful-of-woke?source=articles&via=rss&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

“Substandard…Yazbek rehashes the busy, jazzy rhythms of his earlier works…Horn’s book is chock-full of one-liners…Ellis’ production is busy but empty and uninspired…Fontana navigates the role’s unique physical challenges, but he lacks the necessary obnoxious edge. The supporting cast members bring doses of personality and comic sensibility, but it is hardly sufficient to save ‘Tootsie.’”
    https://www.amny.com/entertainment/tootsie-review-1.30156295

“But ‘Tootsie’ struggles mightily to get past one problem…It needs to punish Michael for his ruse…And yet, the show well knows that everyone has come to see Dorothy Michaels…The show wants both to deconstruct ‘Tootsie’, and snag its nostalgic fans.”
    https://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/broadway/ny-review-chris-jones-tootsie-broadway-20190424-wpqyylhetzgdhjpkvitm5giyvy-story.html

“But when they strike up the band, the workmanlike score, by David Yazbek, drains most of the fizz from the champagne. Yazbek won a Tony last year for “The Band’s Visit,” which certainly marks his finest achievement to date. (I still felt it was ersatz-sounding Middle Eastern music, but never mind.) With his songs for “Tootsie,” unfortunately, he reverts to the familiar form on display in “The Full Monty,” “Dirty Rotten Scoundrels” and “Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown.” Which is to say: pleasant, generic-show-tune competence, with the occasional bright flash of inspiration.”
    https://broadway.news/2019/04/23/review-tootsie-gets-the-laughs-but-not-the-music/

And look at Sunday’s Times ad to find out who’s helping Tootsie win.

And what’s so special about a show with an unfocused book, a collection of self-indulgent fans and actors who try to elevate the unfinished material (it really is a concert not a musical) from the dregs?! I feel bad because the actors are actually talented. They just have nothing to work with.

And where are the out and out raves for Hadestown?! You found nice pull quotes. But those are NOT raves.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by  prognosticator.
    • This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by  prognosticator.
    • This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by  Riley.
    ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 271 through 285 (of 334 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.