Home Forums Theater 2019 Tony Awards Predictions Center Now Active

2019 Tony Awards Predictions Center Now Active

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 286 through 300 (of 321 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
6 days ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
Jeffrey Kare
prognosticator
Anton Spivack
  • prognosticator
    Participant
    Topics:

Let’s see about those “universal raves”:

“Despite its razzle-dazzle, ‘Tootsie’ feels empty at the center. It’s all but impossible to sympathize with the lead, and it’s hard to be that interested in the woman he falls for…Sour center or not, ‘Tootsie’s’ got bushels of exceptional talent toiling away on it, and these serious chops go a long way toward buoying up the show. I just can’t help wishing that we’d all start spending fewer resources on dragging the past, kick-lining and screaming, into the present.”
    https://www.vulture.com/2019/04/theater-review-can-tootsie-work-when-its-not-1982.html

“The Broadway version of the 1982 movie is both chaotic and apologetic, with a sharper and better book than it has music. The show has speeches grafted into it about gender inequality and feminist respect that stand out like absurd sore thumbs.. The book…is witty and sharp…If the words are mostly on point, the music, design, and choreography of ‘Tootsie’ rarely rise above meh…This ‘Tootsie’ is slightly lost in its own cloud of sequins and cultural intent.”
    https://www.thedailybeast.com/tootsie-on-broadway-a-cross-dressing-classic-gets-a-large-spoonful-of-woke?source=articles&via=rss&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

“Substandard…Yazbek rehashes the busy, jazzy rhythms of his earlier works…Horn’s book is chock-full of one-liners…Ellis’ production is busy but empty and uninspired…Fontana navigates the role’s unique physical challenges, but he lacks the necessary obnoxious edge. The supporting cast members bring doses of personality and comic sensibility, but it is hardly sufficient to save ‘Tootsie.’”
    https://www.amny.com/entertainment/tootsie-review-1.30156295

“But ‘Tootsie’ struggles mightily to get past one problem…It needs to punish Michael for his ruse…And yet, the show well knows that everyone has come to see Dorothy Michaels…The show wants both to deconstruct ‘Tootsie’, and snag its nostalgic fans.”
    https://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/broadway/ny-review-chris-jones-tootsie-broadway-20190424-wpqyylhetzgdhjpkvitm5giyvy-story.html

“But when they strike up the band, the workmanlike score, by David Yazbek, drains most of the fizz from the champagne. Yazbek won a Tony last year for “The Band’s Visit,” which certainly marks his finest achievement to date. (I still felt it was ersatz-sounding Middle Eastern music, but never mind.) With his songs for “Tootsie,” unfortunately, he reverts to the familiar form on display in “The Full Monty,” “Dirty Rotten Scoundrels” and “Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown.” Which is to say: pleasant, generic-show-tune competence, with the occasional bright flash of inspiration.”
    https://broadway.news/2019/04/23/review-tootsie-gets-the-laughs-but-not-the-music/

And look at Sunday’s Times ad to find out who’s helping Tootsie win.

And what’s so special about a show with an unfocused book, a collection of self-indulgent fans and actors who try to elevate the unfinished material (it really is a concert not a musical) from the dregs?! I feel bad because the actors are actually talented. They just have nothing to work with.

And where are the out and out raves for Hadestown?! You found nice pull quotes. But those are NOT raves.

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 3 days ago by  prognosticator.
    • This reply was modified 3 weeks, 3 days ago by  prognosticator.
    • This reply was modified 3 weeks, 1 day ago by  Riley.
    ReplyCopy URL
    24fanatic
    Participant
    Topics:

Does anyone here actually know of any Tony voters or have heard what they have or haven’t been responding to??

Based on last year, with the snubbing of Spongebob (who should have easily won Lead Actor) and Mean Girls (most losses ever at the Tonys)… plus Frozen underperforming… it seems like voters took a harsh stance against popular movie/tv to Broadway adaptations. I mean… A Band’s Visit didn’t deserve a double-digit win tally. It’s not going down in the history of musicals as one of the best ever, yet it won more than most of those have. Given that, I would be inclined to think that Hadestown or The Prom have the ultimate edge over Tootsie in Best Musical. Why in a year where there are 2 critically-acclaimed original musicals and another fan-favorite original (Be More Chill) would they choose a popular movie adaptation over those 3, especially after last year???

ReplyCopy URL
    Djoko
    Participant
    Topics:

Does anyone here actually know of any Tony voters or have heard what they have or haven’t been responding to??

Based on last year, with the snubbing of Spongebob (who should have easily won Lead Actor) and Mean Girls (most losses ever at the Tonys)… plus Frozen underperforming… it seems like voters took a harsh stance against popular movie/tv to Broadway adaptations. I mean… A Band’s Visit didn’t deserve a double-digit win tally. It’s not going down in the history of musicals as one of the best ever, yet it won more than most of those have. Given that, I would be inclined to think that Hadestown or The Prom have the ultimate edge over Tootsie in Best Musical. Why in a year where there are 2 critically-acclaimed original musicals and another fan-favorite original (Be More Chill) would they choose a popular movie adaptation over those 3, especially after last year???

When it comes to the nominations we never really get a sense of what they’re thinking because it’s voted on by a much smaller committee. We’ll know more about what they’re thinking closer to the actual awards show. Of course, the NY Times Tony Voters poll is the gold standard, but that doesn’t come out until the Friday before the awards.

ReplyCopy URL
    Jeffrey Kare
    Participant
    Topics:

Based on last year, with the snubbing of Spongebob (who should have easily won Lead Actor) and Mean Girls (most losses ever at the Tonys)… plus Frozen underperforming… it seems like voters took a harsh stance against popular movie/tv to Broadway adaptations. I mean… A Band’s Visit didn’t deserve a double-digit win tally.

Mean Girls actually tied with The Scottsboro Boys as the biggest losing production in Tony history. I guess producers need to avoid using boys/girls in the titles of their musicals.

ReplyCopy URL
    Anton Spivack
    Participant
    Topics:

And neither Hadestown nor Be More Chill is entirely original, the former is based on the myth of Orpheus and Eurydice and the latter is adapted from a young adult novel.

Perhaps if there were more new musicals last season, The Band’s Visit would likely have not won so many Tonys.

ReplyCopy URL
    Jeffrey Kare
    Participant
    Topics:

It does appear nowadays that people have different criteria for what originality is suppose to be. There are some musicals that are completely original and not based on any pre-existing source material (The Book of Mormon, Come From Away, and Dear Evan Hansen). There are other musicals that are based on some pre-existing source material, yet the way they’re presented theatrically are very original (Once, Fun Home, Hamilton, and The Band’s Visit).

ReplyCopy URL
    Xander Cassel
    Participant
    Topics:

Read Hadestown’s reviews then read Tootsie’s. One received mixed while the other got pretty darn close to universal raves. Teenie bopper fans don’t count for very much.

You’re a moron.

How are we feeling about Beetlejuice? The reviews have improved–is that enough to get it to the Tonys?

ReplyCopy URL
    Jeffrey Kare
    Participant
    Topics:

I have Beetlejuice receiving two nominations for lighting design, scenic design, and nothing else. Though costume design is definitely possible.

ReplyCopy URL
    EmmyWinner
    Participant
    Topics:

I saw Tootsie yesterday and OMG I had a blast!

Santino is amazing, he is easily winning the Tony and Sarah Stiles is a riot.

FYC EMMY 2019:
    - Phoebe Waller-Bridge (Fleabag): Lead Actress in a Comedy Series and Writing Comedy Séries (2x06)
    - Olivia Colman (Fleabag): Supporting Actress in a Comedy Series

ReplyCopy URL
    Awardsfan1990
    Participant
    Topics:

Costume design for Beetlejuice is a given, because it’s William Ivey Long, and it’s obvious he’s the Meryl Streep of Broadway costume designers, meaning he can pretty much do no wrong with them. He may not always win, but because he’s William Ivey Long, he will almost always be nominated.

ReplyCopy URL
    adamunc
    Participant
    Topics:

I saw Tootsie yesterday and OMG I had a blast!

Santino is amazing, he is easily winning the Tony and Sarah Stiles is a riot.

Saw it yesterday too and feel the same. Santino is a shoo-in, as is the screamingly funny book. Still going with Hadestown for Best Musical.

ReplyCopy URL
    Anton Spivack
    Participant
    Topics:

And Alex Brightman could easily be nominated for Best Actor.

Gettin’ the Band Back Together was touted as “a completely original musical” (just before each performance began) but even though it wasn’t an adaptation the consensus was that it was too cliched to be original.  The Prom was also original but didn’t need to promote itself as such.  Ken Davenport could easily be the next David Merrick.

ReplyCopy URL
    Xander Cassel
    Participant
    Topics:

And Alex Brightman could easily be nominated for Best Actor.

I have him in fifth place now, after Fontana, Daunno, Ashmanskas, and Baskin

ReplyCopy URL
    FreemanGriffin
    Participant
    Topics:

My goal is to get 80% correct in my predictions this year. I feel very confident in some categories and less so in others, especially the featured acting categories, which are really difficult this year!

ReplyCopy URL
    Djoko
    Participant
    Topics:

And where are the out and out raves for Hadestown?! You found nice pull quotes. But those are NOT raves.

Of course they’re not raves, I was posting SOME OF the bad/mixed reviews Tootsie got since you said it only got “universal raves.” I can post more if you’d like.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 286 through 300 (of 321 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.