Home Forums Theater 2019 Tony Awards Predictions Center Now Active

2019 Tony Awards Predictions Center Now Active

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 316 through 330 (of 334 total)
Created
7 months ago
Last Reply
4 months ago
replies
views
users
Jeffrey Kare
prognosticator
Anton Spivack
  • Djoko
    Participant
    Topics:

The Tonys rarely have splits. They vote for whomever they like the most even if there is someone else from the same show in the category.

ReplyCopy URL
    Anton Spivack
    Participant
    Topics:

The New York Times critics made their picks: https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/14/theater/tony-awards-critics-picks.html
    Do you agree? I’m not sure about including Off-Broadway shows.

ReplyCopy URL
    Awardsfan1990
    Participant
    Topics:

I don’t know why on Earth they’re allowed to include Off-Broadway shows when they’re not even eligible for Tony consideration. It makes absolutely no sense!

ReplyCopy URL
    Anton Spivack
    Participant
    Topics:

There’s the Drama Desks for Broadway and Off-Broadway.  They both agreed with my picks for acting in the musical categories: Fontana, Block, De Shields and Stroker.

ReplyCopy URL
    Singsongoflove01
    Participant
    Topics:

There’s the Drama Desks for Broadway and Off-Broadway. They both agreed with my picks for acting in the musical categories: Fontana, Block, De Shields and Stroker.

The Drama Desks don’t  include Hadestown in a bunch of categories so in my opinion it’s not really a good indicator of where the Tonys will go. Hadestown was only eligible in director, featured actor, and design elements and book and score. (It got seven noms.)

These guys are no more accurate than the average GoldDerby predictor for what it’s worth. Brantley said An American in Paris would win best musical in 2015. He’s also made other similar, wrong predictions. Green is new so I have nothing to compare him to.

ReplyCopy URL
    Anton Spivack
    Participant
    Topics:

I don’t see Ain’t Too Proud winning anything, so it could tie The Scottsboro Boys and Mean Girls at 0-12.

ReplyCopy URL
    Singsongoflove01
    Participant
    Topics:

I don’t see Ain’t Too Proud winning anything, so it could tie The Scottsboro Boys and Mean Girls at 0-12.

Maybe. It could win a featured actor award (that category isn’t as wrapped up as everyone thinks).

ReplyCopy URL
    Jeffrey Kare
    Participant
    Topics:

I actually currently have Ain’t Too Proud winning Best Choreography. Featured Actor is possible if Tony voters are able to decide between Jeremy Pope and Ephraim Sykes. Though I’d actually lean a little more towards Pope given that he has the narrative of making his Broadway debut in two separate shows this past season, resulting in Tony nominations for both of his performances. With Choir Boy no longer running and Lead Actor in a Play being more of a race between Bryan Cranston (who is the frontrunner) and Jeff Daniels, Featured Actor in a Musical could be the way voters can award Jeremy Pope.

• This reply was modified 4 months, 3 weeks ago by  Jeffrey Kare.
    • This reply was modified 4 months, 3 weeks ago by  Jeffrey Kare.
    ReplyCopy URL
    Djoko
    Participant
    Topics:

Having seen Ain’t Too Proud, Ephraim Sykes has the showier role and I’d go with him over Pope, but no one can come close to Andre De Shields. He’s a much beloved veteran giving the performance of a lifetime in Hadestown.

As for Choreography, Hadestown did win the Chita Rivera award which doesn’t mean that much, but some of the voters there are also Tony voters so it could show there’s a lot of love for it. Lots still up in the air until the Times poll.

ReplyCopy URL
    Singsongoflove01
    Participant
    Topics:

Having seen Ain’t Too Proud, Ephraim Sykes has the showier role and I’d go with him over Pope, but no one can come close to Andre De Shields. He’s a much beloved veteran giving the performance of a lifetime in Hadestown. As for Choreography, Hadestown did win the Chita Rivera award which doesn’t mean that much, but some of the voters there are also Tony voters so it could show there’s a lot of love for it. Lots still up in the air until the Times poll.

I love Hadestown but Andre minces and hams his way through the show. He’s not really acting (to be fair he’s the narrator which has zero arc). Having a big voice isn’t acting. Amber Gray is the one giving the performance of a lifetime in that. I think Patrick is better than Andre but then again I like acting over singing. I don’t get his appeal. He’s lucky I like the show as much as I do. I’d vote for anyone else in that category over him!

I actually think Aint too Proud might win this category. The show is doing terrific at the box office and got 12 nominations. It checks a lot of boxes (and oddly enough a lot of the time I’ve noticed Brantley’s should wins end up winning and he says Ephraim Sykes should win).

ReplyCopy URL
    Anton Spivack
    Participant
    Topics:

I think Kiss Me, Kate will win for Best Choreography, they had great dancing instead of just stylized movement.

ReplyCopy URL
    Singsongoflove01
    Participant
    Topics:

I think Kiss Me, Kate will win for Best Choreography, they had great dancing instead of just stylized movement.

I think it’ll either be Ain’t too proud or Hadestown which just won the Rivera award. “Dancing” and choreography aren’t the same. Good choreography tells a story too and in the case of Hadestown really does that very effectively. However Ain’t  too Proud re-created the iconic movement of the Temptations.

ReplyCopy URL
    Anton Spivack
    Participant
    Topics:

The four frontrunners for acting in a musical-Fontana, Block, De Shields and Stroker-each won Drama Desks.

ReplyCopy URL
    Singsongoflove01
    Participant
    Topics:

Not so fast on featured actress. Amber Gray won the OCC. She was ineligible for the Drama Desks since she was eligible for the last production.

ReplyCopy URL
    Awardsfan1990
    Participant
    Topics:

It’s going to go down to the wire between Gray and Stroker. Whoever wins will probably beat the runner-up by a few votes. Or who knows, maybe they’ll pull a Streisand and Hepburn and tie. Right now, though, I’m leaning slightly towards Stroker, since she’s been putting herself out there by performing “I Cain’t Say No” on various talk shows.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 316 through 330 (of 334 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.