Home Forums Theater 2019 Tony Awards Predictions Center Now Active

2019 Tony Awards Predictions Center Now Active

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 334 total)
Created
6 months ago
Last Reply
3 months ago
replies
views
users
Jeffrey Kare
prognosticator
Anton Spivack
  • prognosticator
    Participant
    Topics:

I’d wait to see how The Cher Show does with the nominating committee. If it overperforms in nominations, then I think Stephanie J. Block could have a shot. If it does as well as I’m currently expecting it to (which is two nominations for Lead Actress and Costume Design), then I’m not sure how Stephanie could possibly win.

I think it’s going to win costumes. Stephanie is very much a front runner. Beth Leavel looks decent but as I said Hadestown is going to do very well. I’m not sure if they’re ready to give another show 3/4 acting awards like they did for Hamilton. Patrick Page I’m very comfortable predicting as a winner this year. Amber has a tough category but as I said she benefits from being the sole nominee (which I think she will be) from her show.

ReplyCopy URL
    adamunc
    Participant
    Topics:

I did a study once on acting categories with multiple nominees from the same show since 2000. In over half the cases, one of the nominees with castmates in the category won. So I don’t think vote-splitting is as much a factor at the Tonys. Multiple nominees in the same category indicates the show is well-regarded.

I think The Cher Show will be up for Choreography as well as Costumes and Actress. The costumes are an interesting case to me. In several scenes, Bob Mackie is just recreating some of his iconic designs for Cher. Will the Tonys want to recognize that? I’m not sure. I think Beetlejuice will give it a run for its money at any rate.

The Featured Actor in a play is tough. (All the play acting categories are really stacked this year.) But from The Ferryman, I will be surprised and disappointed if Tom Glynn-Carney and Justin Edwards aren’t among the nominees.

Featured Actress in a Play will also be a bloodbath: Fionnula Flanagan, Dearbhla Molloy, Julie White, Celia Keenan-Bolger, Mercedes Ruehl, LaTanya Richardson Jackson, Ruth Wilson, Joan Allen… Good Lord.

ReplyCopy URL
    Jeffrey Kare
    Participant
    Topics:

I think it’s going to win costumes. Stephanie is very much a front runner. Beth Leavel looks decent but as I said Hadestown is going to do very well. I’m not sure if they’re ready to give another show 3/4 acting awards like they did for Hamilton. Patrick Page I’m very comfortable predicting as a winner this year. Amber has a tough category but as I said she benefits from being the sole nominee (which I think she will be) from her show.

Don’t forget that The Band’s Visit also won three acting awards last year as part of that show’s sweep. Patrick Page is a possible Featured Actor winner, though if André De Shields is nominated there as well, can you see the two of them potentially canceling each other out?

ReplyCopy URL
    prognosticator
    Participant
    Topics:

Don’t forget that The Band’s Visit also won three acting awards last year as part of that show’s sweep. Patrick Page is a possible Featured Actor winner, though if André De Shields is nominated there as well, can you see the two of them potentially canceling each other out?

Page is who the show has been tirelessly promoting. He’s also a huge supporting role. He’s a beloved, hardworking vet who’s never won. I didn’t even know DeShields had enough of a role to be considered. I think Page is going to do it and in a crowded category DeShields will be overlooked (Oklahoma has some actors who can be nominated-the actor playing Will Parker is great).

ReplyCopy URL
    Jeffrey Kare
    Participant
    Topics:

Patrick Page has also never even been nominated.

ReplyCopy URL
    prognosticator
    Participant
    Topics:

So? He’s still been a stalwart of the stage. Olivia Colman hadn’t and she won the Oscar. Amber Gray never has and I’m very sure she will be.

ReplyCopy URL
    Anton Spivack
    Participant
    Topics:

I still think Stephanie Hsu and George Salazar from Be More Chill will get acting nods.  That show will also be up for scenic design.

ReplyCopy URL
    prognosticator
    Participant
    Topics:

I still think Stephanie Hsu and George Salazar from Be More Chill will get acting nods. That show will also be up for scenic design.

I think Salazar will for sure. Stephanie Hsu might get in but that category is crowded.

ReplyCopy URL
    Jeffrey Kare
    Participant
    Topics:

I didn’t even know De Shields had enough of a role to be considered. I think Page is going to do it and in a crowded category DeShields will be overlooked (Oklahoma! has some actors who can be nominated-the actor playing Will Parker is great).

André De Shields’ character in Hadestown, Hermes, is suppose to be the narrator.

• This reply was modified 5 months, 4 weeks ago by  Jeffrey Kare.
    • This reply was modified 5 months, 4 weeks ago by  Jeffrey Kare.
    ReplyCopy URL
    Anton Spivack
    Participant
    Topics:

I’ve seen Andre perform before, in his cabaret and The Full Monty.  He’s overdue for a Tony, IMHO.

ReplyCopy URL
    prognosticator
    Participant
    Topics:

I’ve seen Andre perform before, in his cabaret and The Full Monty. He’s overdue for a Tony, IMHO.

So are a lot of people. They didn’t win. It’s about the performance this year.

ReplyCopy URL
    Tyler
    Participant
    Topics:

What role was Stephen Henderson in To Kill a Mockingbird? I’m surprised to see him in 3rd when I genuinley don’t remember his role and Gideon Glick (who I would nominate in a heartbeat) in 9th.

ReplyCopy URL
    Jeffrey Kare
    Participant
    Topics:

Stephen McKinley Henderson was originally suppose to be in To Kill a Mockingbird, but his scene ended up getting cut during development.

ReplyCopy URL
    Lindsayisagoddess
    Participant
    Topics:

Does anyone else think that Tootsie has a shot at Best Book? I may just be speaking out of frustration at the recent history of Tony sweeps, but Tootsie has been getting rave reviews out of town and I think that, though Hadestown will get Best Musical and Score, Tootsie looks to be a contender for Best Book.

ReplyCopy URL
    adamunc
    Participant
    Topics:

The book got a lot of praise for the way it updated the story during the tryout.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 334 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.