Home Forums Theater 2019 Tony Awards Predictions Center Now Active

2019 Tony Awards Predictions Center Now Active

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 334 total)
Created
4 months ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
replies
views
users
Jeffrey Kare
prognosticator
Anton Spivack
  • adamunc
    Participant
    Topics:

I enjoyed Rannells’ book very much. Alas, this is not his year for the Tony.

ReplyCopy URL
    DrewN92
    Participant
    Topics:

I am seeing Hillary and Clinton on Tuesday- very excited! I know it’s still in previews though and no reviews from the NY production have been released yet to my knowledge. Has anyone heard anything about it yet, good or bad?

I know people seem to be predicting Metcalf (as per usual) but I didn’t know if it was based off of name alone at this point or if anyone has heard/read anything substantial. I have only really read about the Chicago production and to my understanding the show has changed quite a bit since then.

ReplyCopy URL
    Jeffrey Kare
    Participant
    Topics:

Early reports for Hillary & Clinton have so far been pretty glowing. Laurie Metcalf is now looking to at least be nominated for the fourth year in a row.
    https://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.php?thread=1115356#5131682

ReplyCopy URL
    Lindsayisagoddess
    Participant
    Topics:

It puzzles me that people are predicting anything for Beetlejuice. The show got absolutely dreadful reviews during tryouts. Even Alex Brightman and Kerry Butler, usually both excellent, were met with underwhelming reviews, so unless they’ve really overhauled it in moving it to Broadway, I’m not predicting it gets anything.

ReplyCopy URL
    Jeffrey Kare
    Participant
    Topics:

Yeah, I’m waiting for Beetlejuice to start performances on Broadway before officially deciding on where to predict it.

ReplyCopy URL
    Awardsfan1990
    Participant
    Topics:

It puzzles me that people are predicting anything for Beetlejuice. The show got absolutely dreadful reviews during tryouts. Even Alex Brightman and Kerry Butler, usually both excellent, were met with underwhelming reviews, so unless they’ve really overhauled it in moving it to Broadway, I’m not predicting it gets anything.

According to Michael Riedel, the creators made numerous changes to the show following the critical bashing. Whether these changes work for the better remains to be seen. https://nypost.com/2019/03/14/revamped-beetlejuice-still-may-not-have-the-juice-for-broadway/

ReplyCopy URL
    prognosticator
    Participant
    Topics:

I just saw Hadestown and it’s truly an incredible musical. It’s relevant and beautiful at the same time. Patrick Page and Amber Gray are the standouts with Eva Noblezada not too far behind. The music stays with you and the story is just incredibly well done. It deserves to sweep. I’m of the opinion DeShields belongs in leading actor but it matters little since Page walks away with the show along with Gray and Noblezada.

ReplyCopy URL
    adamunc
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m seeing Hadestown next month as part of a theater trip and it’s probably the show I’m looking forward to the most (with the Oklahoma! revival a close second). Glad to hear the positive report.

ReplyCopy URL
    prognosticator
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m seeing Hadestown next month as part of a theater trip and it’s probably the show I’m looking forward to the most (with the Oklahoma! revival a close second). Glad to hear the positive report.

I liked Oklahoma! and am glad I saw this production. Any other year Stroker or Testa would win but I think Gray will win. She’s really astonishing.

ReplyCopy URL
    Lindsayisagoddess
    Participant
    Topics:

Has anyone seen Oklahoma! yet? I heard some feedback from previews that Rebecca Naomi Jones is thoroughly unimpressive in the role of Laurey. A lot of praise is going to James Davis and Will Brill, though.

ReplyCopy URL
    prognosticator
    Participant
    Topics:

Has anyone seen Oklahoma! yet? I heard some feedback from previews that Rebecca Naomi Jones is thoroughly unimpressive in the role of Laurey. A lot of praise is going to James Davis and Will Brill, though.

I saw Oklahoma! I think Davis and Brill are great. Mary Testa and Ali Stroker are going to be nominated (as will Brill and Davis I think). However…Hadestown is going to probably win featured actor for Patrick Page and featured actress for Amber Gray. Both are astonishing (and the show is going to be a huge hit). Any other year Oklahoma! would possibly have a shot in those categories but those featured performances are seared in your brain long after it ends. They own the stage.

I enjoyed this production of Oklahoma! It was inventive and I like immersive shows usually. However…it will be divisive I think and it is a limited run. (Another show has that theater.) I think those factors will give it one Tony and one alone…best revival of a musical. Jones will get a nod but in my opinion she’s the weakest link.

ReplyCopy URL
    Lindsayisagoddess
    Participant
    Topics:

How are people feeling about Ain’t Too Proud and its chances. I feel like it has a shot at Best Book (I’m doubtful about BMC getting that nom), Best Costume Design, Best Orchestrations maybe. Does anyone else think Derrick Baskin has a shot at a leading actor nom?

ReplyCopy URL
    Jeffrey Kare
    Participant
    Topics:

At this point, I think Ain’t Too Proud will receive six nominations for Best Musical, Best Lead Actor in a Musical, Best Book of a Musical, Best Choreography, Best Orchestrations, and Best Sound Design of a Musical.

ReplyCopy URL
    Djoko
    Participant
    Topics:

So if Ain’t Too Proud, Hadestown, The Prom, and Tootsie receive Best Musical noms, what about the fifth slot? If not Be More Chill, will it go to Beetlejuice?

No fifth slot.

ReplyCopy URL
    Djoko
    Participant
    Topics:

I take everything Michael Riedel writes with a grain of salt, but I loved this about Fiddler because I’ve been saying it for months since I’M ALWAYS RIGHT:

“Everybody loves this show. A Tony voter told me, ‘If it were on Broadway, it would win Best Revival in a minute.’ ”

https://nypost.com/2019/03/07/yiddish-fiddler-on-the-roof-is-a-sleeper-hit-off-broadway/

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 334 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.