Home Forums Theater 2020 Grammy Award for Best Musical Theater Album

2020 Grammy Award for Best Musical Theater Album

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
Created
1 month ago
Last Reply
17 hours ago
replies
views
users
Alex Meyer
Jeffrey Kare
Djoko
  • Jeffrey Kare
    Participant
    Topics:

This may be a little early, but I’m curious to see what your thoughts are. The eligibility period for the 2020 Grammy Awards runs from October 1st, 2018 to September 30th, 2019.

Here is a list of all the musical theater albums that have (so far) been released during the eligibility period:

Ain’t Too Proud
    Be More Chill
    Beetlejuice
    The Cher Show
    Fiddler on the Roof in Yiddish
    Hadestown
    Head Over Heels
    Kiss Me, Kate
    Moulin Rouge!
    Oklahoma!
    The Prom
    Tootsie

Thoughts?

Awardsfan1990
    Participant
    Topics:

I think the nominees will be:

Ain’t Too Proud
    Hadestown
    Oklahoma!
    The Prom
    Tootsie

If these are the 5 nominees, then I think Hadestown will win. But maybe Ain’t Too Proud could pull off an upset similar to how Beautiful: The Carole King Musical pulled off an upset over presumed frontrunner Hedwig And The Angry Inch in 2015. Oklahoma! with its reworked orchestrations could maybe be a dark horse.

ReplyCopy URL
    Jeffrey Kare
    Participant
    Topics:

It’s also worth noting that only one prior recording of Oklahoma! has received a Grammy nomination, which was back in 1981 where it lost to Evita.

ReplyCopy URL
    Awardsfan1990
    Participant
    Topics:

Fiddler On The Roof In Yiddish is releasing its cast recording digitally on August 9 and physically on August 23, right before the Grammy eligibility deadline. http://www.playbill.com/article/inside-the-making-of-yiddish-fiddler-on-the-roofs-cast-album

Given its overall success, I think it could make the top 5. That leaves the question of what could it bump out. From my original predictions, I think Hadestown, Oklahoma!, and The Prom are locks at this point, which thus leaves Ain’t Too Proud and Tootsie as the most vulnerable. Ain’t Too Proud could miss out because some may feel it’s just another jukebox musical, while Tootsie could miss out because even though I hear the show incorporates the #MeToo movement, there are those who feel that the whole show itself shouldn’t have been put on Broadway at all because of the #MeToo movement, since it is about a man dressing up as a woman to take a woman’s job.

Your thoughts?

ReplyCopy URL
    Djoko
    Participant
    Topics:

I hope Fiddler in Yiddish makes it because the show is really amazing, but I think Hadestown has the win.

ReplyCopy URL
    Jeffrey Kare
    Participant
    Topics:

Fiddler On The Roof In Yiddish is releasing its cast recording digitally on August 9 and physically on August 23, right before the Grammy eligibility deadline. http://www.playbill.com/article/inside-the-making-of-yiddish-fiddler-on-the-roofs-cast-album

Given its overall success, I think it could make the top 5. That leaves the question of what could it bump out. From my original predictions, I think Hadestown, Oklahoma!, and The Prom are locks at this point, which thus leaves Ain’t Too Proud and Tootsie as the most vulnerable. Ain’t Too Proud could miss out because some may feel it’s just another jukebox musical, while Tootsie could miss out because even though I hear the show incorporates the #MeToo movement, there are those who feel that the whole show itself shouldn’t have been put on Broadway at all because of the #MeToo movement, since it is about a man dressing up as a woman to take a woman’s job.

Your thoughts?

I highly doubt Grammy even think about stuff like that. In fact, I think Ain’t Too Proud is much more likely to snag a nomination than The Prom. Jukebox musicals usually have a pretty great track record with nominations in this category given that they utilize song catalogues that people within the music industry are very familiar with. That’s also a reason why The Cher Show could sneak in as well.

ReplyCopy URL
    Jeffrey Kare
    Participant
    Topics:

The original Broadway cast recording of Moulin Rouge! will be released digitally on August 30th, so turns out it will be eligible for this year’s Grammys.
    http://www.playbill.com/article/listen-to-karen-olivo-sing-the-sparkling-diamond-from-moulin-rouge

ReplyCopy URL
    adamunc
    Participant
    Topics:

Whoever the music supervisor is for Moulin Rouge! must have done some hella negotiating on licensing. It seems like the cost for music rights would cripple the production.

ReplyCopy URL
    Awardsfan1990
    Participant
    Topics:

It’s probably getting nominated, then.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.