Home Forums Theater 2020 Tony Awards: Digitally in Fall 2020

2020 Tony Awards: Digitally in Fall 2020

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 60 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
2 weeks ago
replies
views
users
Awardsfan1990
Jeffrey Kare
Anton_Spivack
  • Profile picture
    Jeffrey Kare
    Topics:

I agree with the most of the predictions, except for a few categories. Best Play:

I think The Inheritance will win, because despite some people’s complaints that it tried too hard to be the next Angels In America, it was generally praised across the board, while Slave Play was much more polarizing. Plus, The Inheritance dominated the Drama Desk Awards, and while the Drama Desks aren’t always the best indicators of the Tonys, I think it shows that it has a lot of support from the community at large.

I just went back to look at the overall reception among both shows. The Broadway production of The Inheritance was seen as a disappointment compared to its London counterpart while Slave Play was much more celebrated within the industry.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Anton Spivack
    Topics:

I would say Jagged Little Pill for Best Musical (I don’t think they’ll reward Moulin Rouge!), Slave Play for Best Play, Jagged Little Pill for Best Book, Lightning Thief for Best Score (they would nominate some straight plays, but they wouldn’t actually win).

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    jjjmoss1
    Topics:

https://www.timeout.com/newyork/news/the-final-rules-for-the-2020-tony-awards-have-been-announced-082820

A different set of rules governs the four Best Show categories: When there are only four or five eligible shows, the category shrinks to three nominees—unless there’s a virtual tie between the third and fourth candidates. But for this year, and this year only, the latter set of rules will apply to all of the categories.

In practical terms, this change affects only the size of the categories for musicals. The Lightning Thief would have been guaranteed a minimum of eight Tony nominations. Many musical categories will likely only have three nominees this year: Best Musical, Best Actress in a Musical, Best Book, Best Score, Best Orchestrations, Best Choreography and the Musical divisions of Best Director, Best Set Design, Best Costumes, Best Lighting and Best Sound.

When there are three or fewer eligible candidates, the nominators vote for each candidate on a yes/no ballot. So the nominators have the option of nominating both Tveit and McCarrell, awarding the prize to one of them by acclimation, or nominating neither of them and effectively eliminating the category.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    jjjmoss1
    Topics:

Looks like 1995 provides precedent for a default winner. There were only 4 musicals altogether, and Sunset Boulevard was the only one with original music so it won Book & Score.

While in 1985, there were several musicals, but they cancelled 3 categories. Per Wiki per AP: “The award for best actress, musical was eliminated this season because there was only one eligible candidate. The nominating committee declined to give nominations in the leading actor in a musical and choreography categories because they did not consider any of the performances or choreography outstanding.”

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    TV_Sideliner
    Topics:

Has anyone ever withdrawn their name from nomination consideration before?

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Anton Spivack
    Topics:

I really thought The Lightning Thief wasn’t that bad. Maybe it was better suited for Off-Broadway, but it was still a lot of fun.

1985 was a weak year. Only Big River was a hit, so even though it wasn’t that great it was still preferable to the others, so it got Best Musical. Back in 1989 Best Book and Score were cut because there were only five eligible shows with an original book and score–Starmites, Legs Diamond, Welcome to the Club, Chu Chem and Carrie, none of which were too impressive. And yet Starmites and Carrie, both considered flops, are now frequently performed in school and community productions.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Awardsfan1990
    Topics:

Has anyone ever withdrawn their name from nomination consideration before?

Yes, although it was AFTER the nomination happened. William Daniels was nominated for Best Featured Actor In A Musical for his role as John Adams in 1776. Because he had been billed below the title, this automatically relegated him to that category per the Tony rules. Daniels, however, knew that his role was clearly a lead one, so he successfully petitioned to have his name removed off the ballot.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Anton Spivack
    Topics:

Plus, Julie Andrews had her nomination for Victor/Victoria withdrawn when hers was the only nomination the show received. I wouldn’t say it was “egregiously overlooked” as much as she was the only thing the show had going for it. Too bad, because she could easily have won and completed the EGOT (she lost her previous Tony nods), and with the surgery that cost her her singing voice, she wouldn’t have another chance.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Awardsfan1990
    Topics:

Julie Andrews did refuse to accept her nomination, but in her case, her name wasn’t actually removed from the Tony ballot. She was actually seen by many as the frontrunner to win, given that she won both the Outer Critics Circle and Drama Desk Awards beforehand. But of course, Donna Murphy ended up winning for The King & I.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    adamunc
    Topics:

This is all truly excellent news for Adrienne Warren, who can go ahead and clear shelf space for her Tony. She’s deserving, but I’m disappointed we don’t get that showdown with Sharon D. Clarke.

I think Moulin Rouge! has the top award all sewn up, though it will probably always be seen as a default winner.

Most interesting to me is Lead Actor in a Musical. Do they let Tveit win in a default vote, or just flush the category? Call Amalia Balash, because I thought Tveit was a big ol’ scoop of vanilla ice cream in that show.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Djoko
    Topics:

This will be the worst Tonys in history. The musical categories are absolutely laughable. I think CBS should not even air it this year. I’m debating if I’ll watch.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Anton Spivack
    Topics:

It’s a shame that there are only four eligible musicals for Best Musical and the only one with an original score is least likely to be nominated, so this year it’s likely that all the Best Musical nominees with have secondhand music.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    montana82
    Topics:

So when is this thing? When are nominations?

I need something to hold me over before the delayed Oscar season.

"Here's a wonderfully b*tchy post from Montana82...." - Tom O'Neill Emmy Prediction Slugfest August 1st, 2019

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Awardsfan1990
    Topics:

Sometime this fall. Exact dates have not been announced yet.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    24fanatic
    Topics:

So when is this thing? When are nominations?

I need something to hold me over before the delayed Oscar season.

Hopefully soon! The Emmys and VMAs are over… Billboard and 2 Country music award shows are still on the way, but there is definitely plenty of room on the schedule this Fall.

It’s strange though, because I feel like they shouldn’t wait too long.
    They will be voting based on their memories and can’t watch the shows again before nominating/picking winners (unless the shows are providing tapings of the performances for consideration to voters???).

So much time has already passed since March, so it feels weird.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 60 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.