Home Forums Theater 2020 Tony Awards Nominations: Reactions

2020 Tony Awards Nominations: Reactions

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 11 posts - 46 through 56 (of 56 total)
Created
5 days ago
Last Reply
23 hours ago
replies
views
users
Philip
adamunc
wolfali
  • Profile picture
    montana82
    Topics:

I guess we assume that the requisite number of voters will actually vote in the Lead Actor in a Musical category. But I would be tempted to leave it blank if I were a voter. Christian is a featherweight role. Aaron and his voice are both very pretty, but that performance is not going to go down in the pantheon of great musical theater turns. But he has a lot of goodwill from his previous work and he recovered from COVID, so I’m guessing people will just decide to give it to him in this crazy year.

I’m sorry but for any awards body to have rules that could nominated one sole nominee in a category and than still have rules that could totally humiliate that person is flat wrong. Either don’t have a category or give him the win in a fair vote. Nominating 1 person and than saying he needs to get 60% or else he loses is cruel.

"Here's a wonderfully b*tchy post from Montana82...." - Tom O'Neill Emmy Prediction Slugfest August 1st, 2019

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Philip
    Topics:

I’m sorry but for any awards body to have rules that could nominated one sole nominee in a category and than still have rules that could totally humiliate that person is flat wrong. Either don’t have a category or give him the win in a fair vote. Nominating 1 person and than saying he needs to get 60% or else he loses is cruel.

There are 2 rounds of voting. Unless the committee decided to eliminate the category and give Aaron a special award, they don’t have the power to reward him the Tony outright.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Balthazar
    Topics:

Danny Burstein will no doubt win Best Performance by an Actor in a Featured Role in a Musical for Moulin Rouge! The Musical.

First, he has the overdue factor going for him. (This is his fifth nomination &, frankly, he could’ve won on his first for his portrayal of Aldopho in The Drowsy Chaperone, IMHO.)

Second, he as the sympathy factor playing in his favor in spades. He’s a Covid-19 survivor & I’m sure the voters are well-aware his wife suffers from ALS. (Disclaimer: I don’t think these illnesses should factor into decision-making yet subliminally they could play a role.)

It’s also nice to see Blair Underwood & Jake Gyllenhaal among the nominees.

(I didn’t realize others had expressed similar sentiments regarding Burstein’s chances until I went back & read earlier posts.)

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Djoko
    Topics:

I love how people on here are talking about this year’s Tonys like they even matter. The nominees are so awful that CBS isn’t even airing it. You think the Oscars would nominate a category with one person? It’s a total joke.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Madson Melo
    Topics:

That’s Burstein’s seventh nomination, actually.

I think MR will take Actor, Featured Actor, Choreography, Lightning, Sound and Costumes, but I believe JLP will take Musical and Book + Orchestrations. What you guys think?

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    gatorfan
    Topics:

I’m predicting Moulin Rouge for Best Musical but I’m in agreement with you on Jagged Little Pill winning for Book and Orchestrations. Many of the reviews I read of Moulin Rouge pointed out how clichéd the writing was and how they probably could have eliminated some of the unnecessary musical numbers.

In addition to Musical I also see Moulin Rouge sweeping through the technical and craft categories along with Danny Burstein for Featured Actor.

For Jagged Little Pill I’m also predicting Lauren Patten to win for Featured Actress.

For Lead Actress I’m going with Adrienne Warren.

First Place- 2018 DGA Awards
    First Place- 2015 DGA Awards
    First Place- 2015 Razzie Award Nominations
    First Place- 2015 Academy Of Country Music Awards

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Atypical
    Topics:

Getting 60% of the vote for Tveit isn’t insurmountable. 500 or so votes? But it better be explicitly stated on the ballot or something that being the sole nominee doesn’t automatically guarantee the Tony win by default (like I thought it would). He has a chance of being quite embarrassed otherwise, and no one deserves to be put in that position.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Balthazar
    Topics:

That’s Burstein’s seventh nomination, actually.

Thanks for the clarification. I even looked up Danny Burstein’s Wikipedia bio & counted the number of nominations. I guess seven nominations means he’s REALLY overdue.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    adamunc
    Topics:

I’m predicting Moulin Rouge for Best Musical but I’m in agreement with you on Jagged Little Pill winning for Book and Orchestrations. Many of the reviews I read of Moulin Rouge pointed out how clichéd the writing was and how they probably could have eliminated some of the unnecessary musical numbers.

The exact same criticism could be leveled at JLP. But I think it will still win Book just because it’s the only original story in the group. It’s still not a good book, but at least it’s not as dreadful as Tina’s.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Awardsfan1990
    Topics:

Danny Burstein will no doubt win Best Performance by an Actor in a Featured Role in a Musical for Moulin Rouge! The Musical.

First, he has the overdue factor going for him. (This is his fifth nomination &, frankly, he could’ve won on his first for his portrayal of Aldopho in The Drowsy Chaperone, IMHO.)

Second, he as the sympathy factor playing in his favor in spades. He’s a Covid-19 survivor & I’m sure the voters are well-aware his wife suffers from ALS. (Disclaimer: I don’t think these illnesses should factor into decision-making yet subliminally they could play a role.)

It’s also nice to see Blair Underwood & Jake Gyllenhaal among the nominees.

(I didn’t realize others had expressed similar sentiments regarding Burstein’s chances until I went back & read earlier posts.)

Yes, Danny unforgivably lost for The Drowsy Chaperone, and it’s one of the most stinging losses in Tony history. Him winning for Moulin Rouge! shall be sweet justice!!!

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Balthazar
    Topics:

Yes, Danny unforgivably lost for The Drowsy Chaperone, and it’s one of the most stinging losses in Tony history. Him winning for Moulin Rouge! shall be sweet justice!!!

I agree!!

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 11 posts - 46 through 56 (of 56 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.