Home Forums Theater 2020 Tony Awards predictions (new season starts May 30, 2019)

2020 Tony Awards predictions (new season starts May 30, 2019)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 39 total)
Created
3 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
replies
views
users
Singsongoflov..
Jeffrey Kare
adamunc
  • Paul Sheehan
    Keymaster
    Topics:

The first show of the 2019/2020 season — “Frankie and Johnny in the Clair de Lune” — opens on May 30, 2019 with Tony darling Audra McDonald and Michael Shannon,

Singsongoflove01
    Participant
    Topics:

I think some early favorites are Aaron Tveit and Karen Olivo for Moulin Rouge and Danny Burstein for that as well (I think he’s probably the early frontrunner), Lauren Patten for Jagged Little Pill. I’d like both actors in Frankie and Johnny to be remembered come Tony tome next year but that’s a long ways off.

ReplyCopy URL
    adamunc
    Participant
    Topics:

This will surely eventually change, but with what’s been announced so far, there are no musicals that would be eligible for Best Original Score.

ReplyCopy URL
    Singsongoflove01
    Participant
    Topics:

This will surely eventually change, but with what’s been announced so far, there are no musicals that would be eligible for Best Original Score.

The Secret Life of Bees will very likely transfer at some point next season. Maybe Six will too. I kind of wondered why Everyone’s Talking About Jamie hasn’t yet.

ReplyCopy URL
    adamunc
    Participant
    Topics:

The Flamingo Kid seems to be eyeing Broadway sooner rather than later too.

Last I heard on Jamie was that they were exploring a film version rather than Broadway.

Benny & Joon at Paper Mill may be a candidate, but I don’t think the reviews were any more than ho-hum and the Times didn’t even bother.

ReplyCopy URL
    Jeffrey Kare
    Participant
    Topics:

I think some early favorites are Aaron Tveit and Karen Olivo for Moulin Rouge! and Danny Burstein for that as well (I think he’s probably the early frontrunner), Lauren Patten for Jagged Little Pill. I’d like both actors in Frankie and Johnny to be remembered come Tony tome next year but that’s a long ways off.

There’s still this whole industry bias against commodity musicals that Moulin Rogue!, Tina: The Tina Turner Musical, and Jagged Little Pill will have to overcome. If Tony voters have taught us anything in recent years, it is that they’re snobs. And for the love of God, I really hope Danny Burstein DOES NOT win his Tony for Moulin Rougue!. If he does, I’ll pretty much view it the same way a lot of people view Al Pacino’s Oscar win for Scent of a Woman.

ReplyCopy URL
    Jeffrey Kare
    Participant
    Topics:

I think some early favorites are Aaron Tveit and Karen Olivo for Moulin Rouge!.

Though if Rosalie Craig ends up coming in this season with Company, there’s your Lead Actress in a Musical frontrunner.

ReplyCopy URL
    Singsongoflove01
    Participant
    Topics:

Though if Rosalie Craig ends up coming in this season with Company, there’s your Lead Actress in a Musical frontrunner.

The cast of Secret Life of Bees is really good. LaChanze and that little girl are really amazing as is Saycon Sengbloh. Should that transfer those three will have a lot to say I think.

ReplyCopy URL
    Anton Spivack
    Participant
    Topics:

I’d like to see The Secret Life of Bees.  And more new musicals with original scores.  As for Best Revival, I think West Side Story has a chance though I’m sure we’ll be seeing plenty more revivals.

ReplyCopy URL
    Singsongoflove01
    Participant
    Topics:

I’d like to see The Secret Life of Bees. And more new musicals with original scores. As for Best Revival, I think West Side Story has a chance though I’m sure we’ll be seeing plenty more revivals.

I’m excited about the new musical version of Cyrano that’s coming to the New Group this fall. That’s promising. It was workshopped at Goodspeed last summer and stars Peter Dinklage as Cyrano. I’m ready to jump on tix when they go on sale.

ReplyCopy URL
    Jeffrey Kare
    Participant
    Topics:

It should definitely be interesting to see how West Side Story does next year because no prior Broadway production has ever won a top honor at the Tonys. The original production lost Best Musical in 1958 to The Music Man, the 1980 revival lost to Morning’s at Seven, and the last revival from 2009 lost to Hair. To date, the biggest award any incarnation of West Side Story has ever won was the Oscar for Best Picture in 1962.

ReplyCopy URL
    Singsongoflove01
    Participant
    Topics:

It should definitely be interesting to see how West Side Story does next year because no prior Broadway production has ever won a top honor at the Tonys. The original production lost Best Musical in 1958 to The Music Man, the 1980 revival lost to Morning’s at Seven, and the last revival from 2009 lost to Hair. To date, the biggest award any incarnation of West Side Story has ever won was the Oscar for Best Picture in 1962.

I’m wondering if this revival will be as divisive as Oklahoma! appears to be. They’re scrapping the Robbins choreography in favor of a modern dance choreographer. I didn’t know they were allowed to do that but they are doing it. I’m looking forward to this with some trepidation.

ReplyCopy URL
    adamunc
    Participant
    Topics:

If this WSS revival really wants to get crazy, they’ll cut “I Feel Pretty”, the worst Sondheim lyric in any of his major shows. 🙂

Ivo van Hove is a bit of a scary choice for director for this material. He sucked all the humanity out of Network.

ReplyCopy URL
    Awardsfan1990
    Participant
    Topics:

Marisa Tomei could be the frontrunner for Best Actress In A Play if the revival of The Rose Tattoo gets universal raves.

ReplyCopy URL
    Awardsfan1990
    Participant
    Topics:

Same with Patti LuPone for Featured Actress In A Musical if she reprises her role.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 39 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.