Home Forums Theater 2020 Tony Awards predictions

2020 Tony Awards predictions

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 179 total)
Created
1 year ago
Last Reply
7 months ago
replies
views
users
Jeffrey Kare
Anton_Spivack
Awardsfan1990
  • Profile picture
    Human Bartender
    Topics:

I doubt that West Side Story will win, given the controversy over casting Amar Ramasar.

I doubt it will win due to being so divisive even when you exclude Ramasar. For as many people who love this production there are just as many if not more who hate it. It feels even more divisive than last year’s Oklahoma, and unlike that show, it’s likely gonna have much stronger competition (Oklahoma’s only competitive revival was Kiss Me Kate which many dubbed as good but nothing special). I’m guessing Company will take it. The Broadway production is likely going to be pretty similar to Elliot’s London revival, and people adored it. Also, unlike West Side Story, the changes made for Company have attracted no controversy, and have been widely praised.

If Amar Ramasar does get nominated, we can add him to the Most Baffling And/Or Infurating Tony Nominations thread I started two years ago. In this case, this may be the first time someone makes the list not because of the quality, or lack thereof, of their performance, but rather because of their personal offstage behavior.

I don’t think that’ll happen. He’s the most controversial man on Broadway, I can’t imagine him getting enough votes. If his performance was acclaimed then maybe he could overcome the backlash, but his work has been very divisive. It’s shame, cause another actor playing the role could’ve gotten a nomination, as his inclusion in America has finally given the stage version a chance to lead a number. Right now I think Isaac Powell will be the only acting nominee. Anita’s a showy part and a big fan favorite, but I’ve heard very, very little about Yesenia Ayala’s performance, and Shereen Pimentel’s will struggle to breakthrough in a crowded field, especially as her current notices aren’t that strong, and with the exclusion of I Feel Pretty, Maria no longer has a big solo to herself.

Let’s Go Bucks

Profile picture
    Jeffrey Kare
    Topics:

I may have mentioned this before, but as of now, no Broadway production of West Side Story has ever won a top honor at the Tonys. The original production lost Best Musical in 1958 to The Music Man, the 1980 revival lost to Morning’s at Seven, and the last revival from 2009 lost to Hair. To date, the biggest award any incarnation of West Side Story has ever won was Best Picture for the 1961 film adaptation at the 34th Academy Awards. Whether or not the current revival will be the first Broadway production to win a top honor from the Tonys remains to be seen.

Profile picture
    Djoko
    Topics:

The biggest roadblock to West Side Story winning is that it’s terrible. I saw it weeks ago and was extremely underwhelmed. The Tony will be between Company and Caroline, or Change. Most likely, Company will be the winner.

Profile picture
    Anton Spivack
    Topics:

If Amar Ramasar does get nominated, we can add him to the Most Baffling And/Or Infurating Tony Nominations thread I started two years ago. In this case, this may be the first time someone makes the list not because of the quality, or lack thereof, of their performance, but rather because of their personal offstage behavior.

Where is that thread, if I may ask?

Profile picture
    Jeffrey Kare
    Topics:

The biggest roadblock to West Side Story winning is that it’s terrible. I saw it weeks ago and was extremely underwhelmed. The Tony will be between Company and Caroline, or Change. Most likely, Company will be the winner.

You may think that, but you don’t speak for the American Theatre Wing. While not every critic in New York is a Tony voter, if the reviews turn out to be polarizing when they come in Thursday night, then West Side Story will only have to settle on being nominated.

Profile picture
    Awardsfan1990
    Topics:

Where is that thread, if I may ask?

Right here. https://www.goldderby.com/forum/theater/most-baffling-and-or-infuriating-tony-nominations/

Profile picture
    Djoko
    Topics:

You may think that, but you don’t speak for the American Theatre Wing. While not every critic in New York is a Tony voter, if the reviews turn out to be polarizing when they come in Thursday night, then West Side Story will only have to settle on being nominated.

Since I’m one of the few people on these boards that actually sees everything and knows what they’re talking about, my tastes almost always fall in line with the Tony voters. This is why I’m right year after year. West Side Story will be nominated just because there are so few musical revivals – not because it is any good.

Profile picture
    Human Bartender
    Topics:

Since I’m one of the few people on these boards that actually sees everything and knows what they’re talking about, my tastes almost always fall in line with the Tony voters. This is why I’m right year after year. West Side Story will be nominated just because there are so few musical revivals – not because it is any good.

It’s sad how universal that is in so many categories these past years. It feels like so many shows get a boatload of nominations even though they’re not very good, but they get them anyway because there are just so few options.

Let’s Go Bucks

Profile picture
    adamunc
    Topics:

I think the Nominating Committee needs to be given more authority to limit the number of nominations in a given category rather than having these mandatory minimums. We risk having a Tony nomination become like the participation trophy I got for my third-grade soccer team which went 0-8.

Profile picture
    Jeffrey Kare
    Topics:

On Theater Talk‘s 2006 Tony Predictions show, they all questioned why Roundabout’s production of The Threepenny Opera was even nominated for Best Musical Revival despite its overall response being pretty underwhelming. It was of course because of the rules where the nominating committee has to fill out every single slate of nominees regardless of whether or not there are enough worthy contenders. That year, nominators only had three slots to fill for Best Revival of a Musical because there were only three musical revivals, so The Threepenny Opera got in by default. Michael Riedel even mentioned that the nominators wrote a letter to the Tony Awards Administration Committee asking for more flexibility in determining if there are enough candidates to fill out the slots in any particular category. If they don’t, then they would only want to nominate the ones they think are worthy. Yet, it was turned down because the producers don’t see the Tonys for the best theatre has to offer, they see them as the marketing tools. The more shows they have that can get nominations, the more producers can be able to advertise those nominations.

8:21

Profile picture
    Djoko
    Topics:

It’s also the reason why they had two nominees for revival last year instead of combining the musical categories. Oklahoma was the unfortunate winner.

Profile picture
    Kevin Klawitter
    Topics:

It’s also the reason why they had two nominees for revival last year instead of combining the musical categories. Oklahoma was the unfortunate winner.

I think you’re telling on yourself a bit here. It’s okay to think the WSS revival is “terrible” and it’s okay to think Oklahoma! winning is “unfortunate”, but saying both in the course of the same conversation shows you aren’t exactly in step with conventional Broadway taste.

Profile picture
    Anton Spivack
    Topics:

Do you think the Tonys will put up a ramp this year? They should.

Profile picture
    Jeffrey Kare
    Topics:

For what?

Profile picture
    Anton Spivack
    Topics:

For anyone who needs it, like they should have done last year with Ali Stroker.

Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 179 total)

The topic ‘2020 Tony Awards predictions’ is closed to new replies.