Home Forums Theater 2020 Tony Awards predictions (new season starts May 30, 2019)

2020 Tony Awards predictions (new season starts May 30, 2019)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 38 total)
Created
1 month ago
Last Reply
2 days ago
replies
views
users
Singsongoflov..
Jeffrey Kare
adamunc
  • Jeffrey Kare
    Participant
    Topics:

Marisa Tomei could be the frontrunner for Best Actress In A Play if the revival of The Rose Tattoo gets universal raves.

That should also be dependent on how much the production itself is remembered in the spring of 2020.

ReplyCopy URL
    Anton Spivack
    Participant
    Topics:

If this WSS revival really wants to get crazy, they’ll cut “I Feel Pretty”, the worst Sondheim lyric in any of his major shows. 🙂

I know the song is inappropriate but how can you say it’s the worst Sondheim lyric?

ReplyCopy URL
    Jeffrey Kare
    Participant
    Topics:

I know Steve Sondheim himself has always hated that song.

ReplyCopy URL
    Singsongoflove01
    Participant
    Topics:

Same with Patti LuPone for Featured Actress In A Musical if she reprises her role.

Lauren Patten is serious competition for Jagged Little Pill.

ReplyCopy URL
    adamunc
    Participant
    Topics:

I know the song is inappropriate but how can you say it’s the worst Sondheim lyric?

It’s repetitive and doesn’t advance the story or the character. The epitome of a lyric in which the writer has nothing to say. I can’t think of any other Sondheim lyric that accomplishes so little. And “It’s alarming how charming I feel” is just poor, especially from a writer who is so exact with nearly all of his other word choices.

I’ve often wondered if that moment would be better as a short instrumental with some light choreography.

ReplyCopy URL
    adamunc
    Participant
    Topics:

Lauren Patten is serious competition for Jagged Little Pill.

They haven’t announced official casting yet for JLP, have they? I know we assume all of the people from ART will transfer, but has that been confirmed?

Idina Menzel played the lead in a reading a couple of years ago but was unavailable for the staging. I keep hoping that maybe, just maybe… But probably not.

ReplyCopy URL
    Singsongoflove01
    Participant
    Topics:

They haven’t announced official casting yet for JLP, have they? I know we assume all of the people from ART will transfer, but has that been confirmed? Idina Menzel played the lead in a reading a couple of years ago but was unavailable for the staging. I keep hoping that maybe, just maybe… But probably not.

Lauren is going to be transferring. I know it for a fact. And she’s going to be a threat in featured actress.

ReplyCopy URL
    Anton Spivack
    Participant
    Topics:

What’s wrong with “It’s alarming how charming I feel”?  It’s a good use of an interior rhyme.  Compare that with The Book of Mormon, Matilda or Beetlejuice, where a lot of the lyrics don’t even rhyme perfectly.

ReplyCopy URL
    Awardsfan1990
    Participant
    Topics:

They haven’t announced official casting yet for JLP, have they? I know we assume all of the people from ART will transfer, but has that been confirmed?

Idina Menzel played the lead in a reading a couple of years ago but was unavailable for the staging. I keep hoping that maybe, just maybe… But probably not.

She’s going to be spending most of this fall promoting Frozen 2 anyway, so she was probably never available to star in the show on Broadway.

ReplyCopy URL
    Jeffrey Kare
    Participant
    Topics:

Keep in mind that Idina Menzel was out-of-town with If/Then at the same time she was promoting the first Frozen back in 2013.

ReplyCopy URL
    Jeffrey Kare
    Participant
    Topics:

It’s repetitive and doesn’t advance the story or the character. The epitome of a lyric in which the writer has nothing to say. I can’t think of any other Sondheim lyric that accomplishes so little. And “It’s alarming how charming I feel” is just poor, especially from a writer who is so exact with nearly all of his other word choices.

I’ve often wondered if that moment would be better as a short instrumental with some light choreography.

It should be interesting to see how much of the original score will end up being used in Steven Spielberg’s upcoming film reboot of West Side Story. The 1961 version directed by Robert Wise & Jerome Robbins is one of the few film adaptations of a Broadway musical to have retained every single musical number from its source material.

ReplyCopy URL
    adamunc
    Participant
    Topics:

What’s wrong with “It’s alarming how charming I feel”? It’s a good use of an interior rhyme. Compare that with The Book of Mormon, Matilda or Beetlejuice, where a lot of the lyrics don’t even rhyme perfectly.

I love a spirited lyric debate! I honestly don’t think it’s a good use of interior rhyme; I think it’s a case of using a word because it rhymes, not because it’s the right word. Sondheim often talks about how weighty each word in a lyric is and why precise word choice is essential. If this is really “alarming”, shouldn’t she be doing something about it, rather than prattling on about Miss America and keys to the city and other nonsense? It’s cutesy rather than meaningful. As for the other shows you mentioned, well, even bottom-drawer Sondheim is better than most other stuff.

Here’s an interesting article in which Sondheim talks about how much he dislikes his work in West Side Story, and that line in particular:

Sondheim: West Side Story lyrics are “embarrassing”

ReplyCopy URL
    Singsongoflove01
    Participant
    Topics:

Remember when I said Lauren Patten would be back? Here’s the proof I was right:

https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Elizabeth-Stanley-Derek-Klena-Lauren-Patten-and-More-Will-Lead-JAGGED-LITTLE-PILL-on-Broadway-20190523

She’s definitely a best featured actress threat.

ReplyCopy URL
    adamunc
    Participant
    Topics:

She and Elizabeth Stanley each got rave notices for the ART production.

ReplyCopy URL
    Singsongoflove01
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m not a fan of Elizabeth Stanley but I really like Lauren Patten and am excited for her to finally originate a role on Broadway.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 38 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.