Home Forums Theater 2020 Tony Awards predictions

2020 Tony Awards predictions

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 152 total)
Created
9 months ago
Last Reply
2 days ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
Jeffrey Kare
Anton Spivack
Alex Meyer
  • Kevin Klawitter
    Participant
    Topics:

David Weiner and Victoria Sagady will be considered jointly eligible in the Best Lighting Design of a Play category for their work on The Great Society.

Joaquina Kalukango will be considered eligible in the Best Performance by an Actress in a Leading Role in a Play category for her performance in Slave Play.

Ian Barford will be considered eligible in the Best Performance by an Actor in a Leading Role in a Play category for his performance in Linda Vista.

Marisa Tomei will be considered eligible in the Best Performance by an Actress in a Leading Role in a Play category for her performance in The Rose Tattoo.

Ben Stanton and Lucy Mackinnon will be considered jointly eligible in the Best Lighting of a Play category for their work on The Rose Tattoo.

Chris McCarrell and Kristin Stokes will be considered eligible in the Best Performance by an Actor/Actress in a Leading Role in a Musical categories for their respective performances in The Lighting Thief: The Percy Jackson Musical.

Adrienne Warren will be considered eligible in the Best Performance by an Actress in a Leading Role in a Musical category for her performance in Tina: The Tina Turner Musical.

Mark Thompson and Jeff Sugg will be considered jointly eligible in the Best Scenic Design of a Musical category for their work on Tina: The Tina Turner Musical.

Andrew Burnap, Samuel H. Levine and Kyle Soller will be considered eligible in the Best Performance by an Actor in a Leading Role in a Play category for their respective performances in The Inheritance.

A Christmas Carol will be considered eligible in the Best Play category.

Campbell Scott will be considered eligible in the Best Performance by an Actor in a Leading Role in a Play category for his performance in A Christmas Carol.

Lizzi Gee will be considered eligible in the Best Choreography category for her work on A Christmas Carol.

Christopher Nightingale will be considered eligible in the Best Orchestrations category for his work on A Christmas Carol.

Elizabeth Stanley will be considered eligible in the Best Performance by an Actress in a Leading Role in a Musical category for her performance in Jagged Little Pill.

Riccardo Hernández and Lucy Mackinnon will be considered jointly eligible in the Best Scenic Design of a Musical category for their work on Jagged Little Pill.

https://www.broadway.com/buzz/198013/tonys-announce-second-set-of-rulings-for-2019-2020-season-three-inheritance-stars-deemed-leads-more/

ReplyCopy URL
    Djoko
    Participant
    Topics:

So much focus on the musicals – let’s get into the plays again!

Best Play
    The Inheritance
    The Lehman Trilogy
    The Minutes
    Slave Play
    The Sound Inside

Best Revival
    Betrayal
    How I Learned to Drive
    A Soldier’s Play
    Take Me Out
    Who’s Afraid of Virginia Woolf?

Best Actor in a Play
    Charlie Cox – Betrayal
    Paul Hilton – The Inheritance
    Tracy Letts – The Minutes
    Campbell Scott – A Christmas Carol
    Blair Underwood – A Soldier’s Play

Best Actress in a Play
    Zawe Ashton – Betrayal
    Laura Linney – My Name is Lucy Barton
    Joaquina Kulakango – Slave Play
    Mary Louise Parker – How I Learned to Drive
    Laurie Metcalf – Who’s Afraid of Virginia Woolf?

Best Featured Actor in a Play
    James Cusati-Moyer – Slave Play
    Jesse Tyler Ferguson – Take Me Out
    David Alan Grier – A Soldier’s Play
    John Benjamin Hickey – The Inheritance
    J. Alphonse Nicholson – A Soldier’s Play

Best Featured Actress in a Play
    Ato Blankson-Wood – Slave Play
    Blair Brown – The Minutes
    Annie McNamara – Slave Play
    Lois Smith – The Inheritance
    Patsy Ferran – Who’s Afraid of Virginia Woolf?

How are none of the actors from The Lehman Trilogy in your predictions? It’s the frontrunner for Best Play. At least one or all three of Adam Godley, Ben Miles, and Simon Russell Beale will be nominated.

ReplyCopy URL
    Kevin Klawitter
    Participant
    Topics:

How are none of the actors from The Lehman Trilogy in your predictions? It’s the frontrunner for Best Play. At least one or all three of Adam Godley, Ben Miles, and Simon Russell Beale will be nominated

Category confusion. The male categories are pretty strong this year and for TLT we don’t know who will be pushed for awards or what category he’ll be pushed for.

ReplyCopy URL
    Jeffrey Kare
    Participant
    Topics:

I know Simon Russell Beale, Adam Godley, and Ben Miles were all given a joint nomination at the Olivier Awards last year. I doubt that’s gonna happen at the Tonys this year.

ReplyCopy URL
    Awardsfan1990
    Participant
    Topics:

Maybe one of them will go supporting so that he will have a better chance at a nomination, similar to how Shailene Woodley was submitted as a supporting actress for Big Little Lies at the Emmys in 2017 even though one could argue she was just as much of a lead as Reese Witherspoon and Nicole Kidman.

ReplyCopy URL
    Sam Eckmann
    Keymaster
    Topics:

I know Simon Russell Beale, Adam Godley, and Ben Miles were all given a joint nomination at the Olivier Awards last year. I doubt that’s gonna happen at the Tonys this year.

There is now an official Tony rule that prohibits multiple actors from receiving a joint nomination. So, definitely not gonna happen. Predicting Lead Actor in a Play will be absolutely insane this year. Blame Billy Elliot.

ReplyCopy URL
    Jeffrey Kare
    Participant
    Topics:

Maybe one of them will go supporting so that he will have a better chance at a nomination, similar to how Shailene Woodley was submitted as a supporting actress for Big Little Lies at the Emmys in 2017 even though one could argue she was just as much of a lead as Reese Witherspoon and Nicole Kidman.

Or similar to how Glenda Jackson was the only performer from Three Tall Women to be eligible as lead while Laurie Metcalf and Alison Pill both went featured.

ReplyCopy URL
    adamunc
    Participant
    Topics:

There’s nothing in the release about either Freestyle Love Supreme or American Utopia. I’m guessing those didn’t invite Tony voters?

ReplyCopy URL
    Jeffrey Kare
    Participant
    Topics:

According to Broadway.com, American Utopia will not be eligible for Tony Awards consideration as its producers did not seek eligibility.
    https://www.broadway.com/buzz/198013/tonys-announce-second-set-of-rulings-for-2019-2020-season-three-inheritance-stars-deemed-leads-more/

ReplyCopy URL
    CateNicole
    Participant
    Topics:

Has anyone seen James Cusati-Moyer in Slave Play? He gives one of the most natural, inspired performances I’ve ever seen.

ReplyCopy URL
    FreemanGriffin
    Participant
    Topics:

I was reading through reviews of everything that has opened so far on Broadway this season as far as plays are concerned and some actors and actresses who I think will likely get nominations based on reviews would be: Lois Smith and Paul Hilton for The Inheritance (Featured Actress and Featured Actor); Mary-Louise Parker for The Sound Inside (Lead Actress); Laura Linney for My Name Is Lucy Barton (Lead Actress). Jane Alexander is getting personal good reviews but her show isn’t getting great reviews (Grand Horizons) so I think with what is opening later in the season she will likely be passed over this year.

Not quite sure who would be nominated from Slave Play or A Soldier’s Play?

While The Inheritance has a shot at a Best Play nomination the reviews were much stronger for Slave Play and The Sound Inside, and also My Name Is Lucy Barton.

ReplyCopy URL
    Jeffrey Kare
    Participant
    Topics:

Not quite sure who would be nominated from Slave Play or A Soldier’s Play

Now that Joaquina Kalukango has been ruled eligible as lead for Slave Play, she could get nominated as she won’t have any co-stars to potentially split votes from in the nomination process. As for the featured performances, James Cusati-Moyer, Annie McNamara, and Paul Alexander Nolan all appear to have some shot at nominations as well. While we don’t know how eligibility is going to work out for the acting categories for A Soldier’s Play yet, I think Blair Underwood will go Lead while David Alan Grier and Jerry O’Connell will both contend in Featured.

ReplyCopy URL
    Kevin Klawitter
    Participant
    Topics:

While we don’t know how eligibility is going to work out for the acting categories for A Soldier’s Play yet, I think Blair Underwood will go Lead while David Alan Grier and Jerry O’Connell will both contend in Featured.

I think J. Alphonse Nicholson is more likely than Jerry O’Connell for A Soldier’s Play. He has a good, tragic role and has been getting standout reviews. He’s not as known a property as O’Connell, but a star-making role for a newcomer could also get Tony recognition.

ReplyCopy URL
    The One And Only of Gold Derby.
    Participant
    Topics:

Maybe Hiddleston In Betrayal?

ReplyCopy URL
    DrewN92
    Participant
    Topics:

Has anyone seen James Cusati-Moyer in Slave Play? He gives one of the most natural, inspired performances I’ve ever seen.

He was amazing, and also very cute haha.

Also, I was wondering – assuming Metcalf receives a nomination this year, this would be her 5th year in a row. Does anyone know what the record is for number of consecutive acting Tony nominations?

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 152 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.