Home Forums Theater 2020 Tony Awards predictions

2020 Tony Awards predictions

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 152 total)
Created
9 months ago
Last Reply
3 days ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
Jeffrey Kare
Anton Spivack
Alex Meyer
  • Anton Spivack
    Participant
    Topics:

Do you think they’ll give a Tony for Best Theatrical Event? Or perhaps a special award for David Byrne?

ReplyCopy URL
    adamunc
    Participant
    Topics:

Do you think they’ll give a Tony for Best Theatrical Event? Or perhaps a special award for David Byrne?

Neither American Utopia nor Freestyle Love Supreme invited Tony nominators or voters, so we won’t have a Theatrical Event award. They could still choose to give a Special Tony Award for extraordinary contribution to the theatre to Byrne, but I’d be surprised.

ReplyCopy URL
    The2ndAvenger
    Participant
    Topics:

I can see Betrayal getting some awards love.

ReplyCopy URL
    Jeffrey Kare
    Participant
    Topics:

I do think that Betrayal is the current frontrunner to win Best Revival of a Play. It could follow a similar trajectory to A View From the Bridge a few years ago where despite that production ending its limited run earlier in the season, it was still so well-regarded for offering audiences a completely different take on a classic work, that people couldn’t stop talking about it long after it was gone. Similar to how some of the recent Tony winners for Best Musical Revival have gone to productions that did completely original takes on older shows (which I’ve previously mentioned in this thread).

ReplyCopy URL
    Kevin Klawitter
    Participant
    Topics:

I do think that Betrayal is the current frontrunner to win Best Revival of a Play. It could follow a similar trajectory to A View From the Bridge a few years ago where despite that production ending its limited run earlier in the season, it was still so well-regarded for offering audiences a completely different take on a classic work, that people couldn’t stop talking about it long after it was gone. Similar to how some of the recent Tony winners for Best Musical Revival have gone to productions that did completely original takes on older shows (which I’ve previously mentioned in this thread).

Is A Soldier’s Play considered a revival even though this is its first time on Broadway? If so, don’t sleep on that one. The reviews were great.

ReplyCopy URL
    Jeffrey Kare
    Participant
    Topics:

The Tonys do have rules of if an older work is being produced on Broadway for the very first time, it’ll be ruled eligible as a revival. Recent examples of this include Hedwig & the Angry Inch, Jitney, and The Boys in the Band. As for A Soldier’s Play, I agree that it is currently Betrayal‘s closet competition right now.

ReplyCopy URL
    thatnerdgreg
    Participant
    Topics:

There is now an official Tony rule that prohibits multiple actors from receiving a joint nomination. So, definitely not gonna happen. Predicting Lead Actor in a Play will be absolutely insane this year. Blame Billy Elliot.

Who knows, maybe they could all get a special award similar to the Matildas. I’m guessing that won’t happen though. Was the rule against joint nominations in place by then? I’m not sure. I seem to recall those actresses were considered ineligible because there were four of them, so they weren’t able to play it enough times a week each to be eligible.

As far as I know (I’m seeing the show in June), they’re all co-leads, so I don’t think they’d be able to push any of them down successfully.

ReplyCopy URL
    adamunc
    Participant
    Topics:

The nice thing for A Soldier’s Play is that Charles Fuller would share in the Tony if it wins thanks to the recent rule change.

ReplyCopy URL
    Djoko
    Participant
    Topics:

A production ending earlier in the season is not a hindrance anymore ever since last year they changed the Tony rules so that the only way to vote in a category is you must have seen all of the nominated shows. Thus, it requires a voter to have seen the show or they’re ineligible to vote. All other awards shows need to implement this rule.

ReplyCopy URL
    Jeffrey Kare
    Participant
    Topics:

More dates have been revealed for this year’s Tony Awards:

April 23rd – Cut-off for 2020 Tony eligibility
    April 28th – Nominations announced
    April 30th – Meet the Nominees press event at Sofitel New York
    May 19th – Nominees Luncheon at Rainbow Room
    June 1st – Tony Honors Reception at Sofitel New York
    June 7th – The 74th Annual Tony Awards

https://twitter.com/TheTonyAwards/status/1229797969676902403

ReplyCopy URL
    DrewN92
    Participant
    Topics:

I saw Girl From the North Country last night and I was slightly underwhelmed. I see Six as being a stronger contender for sure.

ReplyCopy URL
    adamunc
    Participant
    Topics:

Since Jersey Boys won Best Musical in 2006, voters have shown that they will favor a show with a new score over a jukebox show or a biomusical. The only show without an original theatrical score to win since then is Once, and that was written as a screen musical with original songs. I think this pattern bodes well for Six and our unknown quantity Flying over Sunset (clips of which sound very promising, especially the title song).

ReplyCopy URL
    Anton Spivack
    Participant
    Topics:

I doubt that West Side Story will win, given the controversy over casting Amar Ramasar.

ReplyCopy URL
    Jeffrey Kare
    Participant
    Topics:

We’ll see how many people within the industry will be able to let that controversy slide. When it comes to situations like this, I always ask “Why should everyone else be punished for somebody (in this case, Amar)’s actions when they literally did nothing wrong?”. In 60 Minutes‘ recent profile of the production, Scott Rudin did acknowledge the controversy, even admitting that what Amar did was really stupid, but he’s not going to fire him. I will say that if West Side Story does win Best Revival of a Musical, it’s not like Amar Ramasar is going to win a Tony himself since he is A) not a producer on the production and B) not even the star. Plus, the role of Bernardo has never even been nominated by the American Theatre Wing, and I’d be surprised if this year breaks that trend with or without Amar’s allegations.

• This reply was modified 1 week, 2 days ago by  Jeffrey Kare.
    • This reply was modified 1 week, 2 days ago by  Jeffrey Kare.
    ReplyCopy URL
    Awardsfan1990
    Participant
    Topics:

If Amar Ramasar does get nominated, we can add him to the Most Baffling And/Or Infurating Tony Nominations thread I started two years ago. In this case, this may be the first time someone makes the list not because of the quality, or lack thereof, of their performance, but rather because of their personal offstage behavior.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 152 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.