Home Forums Theater 2021-2022 Broadway Productions

2021-2022 Broadway Productions

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 74 total)
Created
7 months ago
Last Reply
3 weeks ago
replies
views
users
Jeffrey Kare
Anton_Spivack
Awardsfan1990
  • Profile picture
    adamunc
    Topics:

All of these announcements need to be tagged with a “maybe”.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Anton Spivack
    Topics:

I hope A Strange Loop comes to Broadway in 2021-2022.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Anton Spivack
    Topics:

I’m thinking that in 2022 the Best Musical Tony nominees will be Girl from the North Country, Sing Street, Six and A Strange Loop.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Anton Spivack
    Topics:

Dr. Fauci says the pandemic will end soon once the vaccine comes into effect. That’s good news, and even if Broadway doesn’t open sooner than June 1, at least it won’t be delayed further.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    adamunc
    Topics:

Dr. Fauci says the pandemic will end soon once the vaccine comes into effect. That’s good news, and even if Broadway doesn’t open sooner than June 1, at least it won’t be delayed further.

That’s not really what I’ve heard Dr. Fauci say. It will take months to roll out any approved vaccine. He recently said that it may be up to a year before we are back to a semblance of pre-pandemic normality to include indoor gatherings of large numbers of people and free-flowing travel. Certainly having an effective vaccine is a major step, but it’s also not just having a vaccine — it’s having public confidence in traveling (Broadway will not survive on local audiences alone) and being with groups of strangers. All this will take time to build.

I still believe any sort of broad reopening on June 1 is magical thinking.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Sam Eckmann
    Topics:

@Anton, June 1st is NOT a reopening date. June 1st is that furthest date out that they are processing refunds. No one in the industry expects Broadway to reopen on that date and many are expecting next fall or later. If a vaccine goes into production in December (which looks like the earliest possible timeline should the Pfizer one pan out) it will take many many months for it to become widely available. Then we have to think how many folks will actually take it, or become early adopters? How does this affect our timeline to achieving herd immunity? How long will it take for travel restrictions to be lifted? How long does it take for tourists to feel comfortable coming back to NYC and sitting in a theatre after those restrictions are lifted?

I would anticipate that the non-profits return before commercial productions. They are not reliant on tourist dollars. They could potentially implement socially distanced seating if they are able to find angel investors to make up the lost revenue (which could help ease audiences back into attending shows). But I still don’t think anything will return before the fall.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Nate
    Topics:

The Minutes (for now) is now set to open on Broadway on March 15, 2022, but will have to find a different venue:

https://www.chicagotribune.com/entertainment/theater/chris-jones/ct-ent-steppenwolf-minutes-postpones-broadway-20201116-pgg77pdwmzdelld7r7wyfq3kdi-story.html

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    adamunc
    Topics:

The best news here is that the Cort is getting renovated. It demonstrates the Shuberts’ commitment to their facilities going forward — and of all the Broadway houses, this is one that is most in need of refurbishing.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Jeffrey Kare
    Topics:
    Anton Spivack
    Topics:

I think the Cort could use some fixing up. The lights on the proscenium haven’t worked for a while. I wonder what’s gonna happen to the vacant lot next to it.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Anton Spivack
    Topics:

Here’s what we can expect:

NEW PLAYS
    Birthday Candles
    The Minutes
    The Lehman Trilogy
    Thoughts of a Colored Man

NEW MUSICALS
    Diana
    Flying Over Sunset
    MJ: The Musical
    Mrs. Doubtfire
    Sing Street
    Six

PLAY REVIVALS
    American Buffalo
    How I Learned to Drive
    Lackawanna Blues
    Plaza Suite
    Take Me Out
    Trouble in Mind

MUSICAL REVIVALS
    Caroline, or Change
    Company
    The Music Man

Also Girl from the North Country and the West Side Story revival will be up for Tonys. And with the Cort being renovated and the Hudson occupied that leaves four open theaters, which means at least four new productions. My Tonys predictions at this moment:

BEST PLAY
    The Minutes
    The Lehman Trilogy (winner)
    Thoughts of a Colored Man

BEST MUSICAL
    Diana
    Girl from the North Country (winner)
    Sing Street
    Six

PLAY REVIVALS
    How I Learned to Drive (winner)
    Lackawanna Blues
    Take Me Out
    Trouble in Mind

BEST REVIVAL OF A MUSICAL
    Company
    The Music Man (winner)

BEST BOOK OF A MUSICAL
    Diana
    Girl from the North Country
    (winner)
    Sing Street
    Six

BEST SCORE
    Diana
    Flying Over Sunset
    Mrs. Doubtfire
    Six
    (winner)

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Jeffrey Kare
    Topics:

Roundabout Theatre Company is now planning to resume performances next fall.
    https://deadline.com/2020/11/broadway-caroline-or-change-trouble-in-mind-target-1776-birthday-candles-debra-messing-1234617014/

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Awardsfan1990
    Topics:

The Shubert Organization is hoping to bring Keenan Scott II’s play Thoughts Of A Colored Man to Broadway next season. https://deadline.com/2020/11/thoughts-of-a-colored-man-broadway-keenan-scott-ii-steve-broadnax-iii-1234617119/

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Anton Spivack
    Topics:

So now the American Airlines, Booth, Cort, Ethel Barrymore, Hudson, John Golden, Lyceum, Marquis and St. James are unoccupied, yet the American Airlines and Hudson will have tenants at the end of the shutdown, and the Cort is being renovated. With Sing Street, The Minutes and Thoughts of a Colored Man coming to Broadway, that leaves three open houses.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Jeffrey Kare
    Topics:

Rumor has it that Hamilton could be the first show to re-open on Broadway next year on July 4th (at limited capacity).
    https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Will-HAMILTON-Be-the-First-Broadway-Show-to-Re-Open-in-2021-20201130

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 74 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.