Home Forums Theater 2021-2022 Broadway Productions

2021-2022 Broadway Productions

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 481 through 495 (of 591 total)
Created
2 years ago
Last Reply
6 days ago
replies
views
users
Jeffrey Kare
rantinanton
Awardsfan1990
  • Profile picture
    rantinanton
    Topics:

The Music Man does have a high standard. Since it beat West Side Story for Best Musical having Company win for Best Revival would vindicate Sondheim.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Jeffrey Kare
    Topics:

It would be poetic justice if that ends up happening. Especially given how the original production of West Side Story and the current revival of Company are pretty much the bookends of the Broadway productions Stephen Sondheim got to be involved with in his lifetime.

Although if Funny Girl ends up being received much better, I can see that knocking out The Music Man for the third slot in Best Revival of a Musical.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    adamunc
    Topics:

I think Funny Girl would have to have some revelatory revisions to make it in. That’s a very problematic show to begin with. But it will be fun to see how it all shakes out.

I wonder how vulnerable this makes Jackman? He has been considered a likely done deal for some time now, but looks like the door is open for someone else.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Jeffrey Kare
    Topics:

I am keeping an eye out on Jaquel Spivey in A Strange Loop. Since that show could very well win Best Musical, he could end up being a part of its final prize haul.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Awardsfan1990
    Topics:

Complete Cast Announced for PLAZA SUITE on Broadway

I wish I had time to go down to Broadway to see this. I saw a production of it when I was in college (done by a bunch of their theater majors) and it was great.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Awardsfan1990
    Topics:

As a Square One TV fan I’m glad Toni DiBuono’s in the show. When I attended North Country they said it was moving to the Broadhurst, so I suppose that leaves the Imperial and Shubert, not to mention the Cort and the Palace when they reopen. I suppose Sing Street would be a good fit for the Cort.

I’ve actually gotten to see Toni DiBuono in two stage productions at my local regional theater, the Geva Theatre in Rochester, New York. I saw her as Sonia in their 2015 production of Vanya And Sonia And Masha And Spike, and as Deirdre Blake in their 2019 production of The Humans. She was fantastic in both of them.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Djoko
    Topics:

I wonder how vulnerable this makes Jackman? He has been considered a likely done deal for some time now, but looks like the door is open for someone else.

Even though Hugh Jackman was so great in The Music Man, the show being not so great really diminishes his chances. I’m going with the lead actor from A Strange Loop winning. It’s going to get raves and I can see a sweep.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Jeffrey Kare
    Topics:

I’m going with the lead actor from A Strange Loop winning. It’s going to get raves and I can see a sweep.

This was actually part of how I successfully predicted Tony Shalhoub to win for The Band’s Visit in 2018. Each of the nominees for Best Lead Actor in a Musical that year all had their pros and cons. I ultimately settled on Shalhoub given that his show was the strongest contender.

It’s also kind of similar to what happened with the Best Actress race at last year’s Academy Awards. Each of the major precursors were won by different contenders, and they all had their pros and cons regarding their chances of winning the Oscar. A number of predictors were thinking that it was between Viola Davis for Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom and Carey Mulligan for Promising Young Woman. However, Josh Parham of Next Best Picture was one of the very few people who successfully predicted that Frances McDormand would win for Nomadland. His main reason for that was because her film was the strongest contender as it was last year’s Best Picture winner.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Djoko
    Topics:

This was actually part of how I successfully predicted Tony Shalhoub to win for The Band’s Visit in 2018. Each of the nominees for Best Lead Actor in a Musical that year all had their pros and cons. I ultimately settled on Shalhoub given that his show was the strongest contender.

It’s also kind of similar to what happened with the Best Actress race at last year’s Academy Awards. Each of the major precursors were won by different contenders, and they all had their pros and cons regarding their chances of winning the Oscar. A number of predictors were thinking that it was between Viola Davis for Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom and Carey Mulligan for Promising Young Woman. However, Josh Parham of Next Best Picture was one of the very few people who successfully predicted that Frances McDormand would win for Nomadland. His main reason for that was because her film was the strongest contender as it was last year’s Best Picture winner.

You also had the NY Times voters poll that year that said Shalhoub would win. The bigger prediction, if you remember, was when I said Ari’el Stachel would win as part of The Band’s Visit sweep. I was the only one who predicted him.

As for Frances winning the Oscar, it wasn’t much of a major surprise since she had just won the BAFTA.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Jeffrey Kare
    Topics:

While the New York Times’ survey did suggest Tony Shalhoub would win, they mentioned that he “led slightly over Joshua Henry of “Carousel,” with Ethan Slater, the title star of “SpongeBob SquarePants” swimming just behind. Any of them could win.”

While Frances McDormand did win the BAFTA, many predictors didn’t put too much stock into that for the following reasons:

1. She was only one of two Best Actress Oscar nominees (the other being Vanessa Kirby in Pieces of a Woman) to have been recognized there. So it’s unknown how she would’ve done had Viola Davis and/or Carey Mulligan been in contention.
    2. People thought Frances’ performance in Nomadland would be seen as too subdued to win compared to the showier work of her competition.
    3. She had just won a second Oscar for Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri three years prior, and she was already going to receive a third as a producer on Nomadland. So predictors didn’t think Academy members were gonna go back to her in an acting category that quickly.

Yet, BAFTA once again proved to be the more telling tea leave as all of their winners in each overlapping category at the Oscars (with the exception of Best Cinematography) ended up repeating in the United States. I even remember after last year’s Golden Globes, Amanda Spears posted a tweet that said something like “Who ever wins BAFTA wins the Oscar.”

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Jeffrey Kare
    Topics:
    rantinanton
    Topics:

Yes, Stachel did win on the coattails of The Band’s Visit. He was indeed worthy, not to count out Norbert Leo Butz in My Fair Lady or Gavin Lee in The Spongebob Musical.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Jeffrey Kare
    Topics:
    rantinanton
    Topics:

Before Strange Loop came to Broadway I thought North Country would have won Best Book. This might be a repeat of what happened with Band’s Visit. The Tonys actually televised Best Book that year because of the chance Tina Fey would win for Mean Girls. It would be nice if they’d air that every year even if they didn’t have a TV star among the nominees.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Jeffrey Kare
    Topics:

If you ask me, I think Tonys should try something similar to what they used to do from 1997 through 2002. Have the first hour consist of all the design awards as well as Best Orchestrations presented before the actual telecast on someplace other than CBS (back then, it was PBS. This time, it would be Paramount+). After that, the CBS broadcast should include the production, acting, directing, book, score, and choreography categories in addition to the musical performances.

Last year, they tried a two-tiered network approach by having a live pre-show stream on Paramount+ where most of the awards were given out while the categories of Best Revival of a Play, Best Play, and Best Musical were each saved for the main show on CBS, which mainly included musical performances. Although Broadway producer Ken Davenport said in a blog post that he’d prefer the awards stay unified as one broadcast on one network. He feels that’s the best way to get the most viewers and to accomplish what he believes is the purpose of the show: to honor and market the excellence in the theater. Ken also thinks that asking fans to pay for yet another streaming service (even if there is a free trial), isn’t going to get more people to watch.

ReplyCopy URL
    Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 481 through 495 (of 591 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.