Home Forums Theater 2021 New York Times Tonys Voter Survey

2021 New York Times Tonys Voter Survey

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
Created
12 months ago
Last Reply
12 months ago
replies
views
users
Sam Eckmann
adamunc
  • Profile picture
    Balthazar
    Topics:

Does anyone know if The New York Times’ informal poll of Tonyls voters has been released. Each year they do a survey of voters to try and project Sunday night’s winners. Thanks in advance.

Profile picture
    Sam Eckmann
    Topics:

I dont think they did the piece this year (unless they surprise us and drop it tomorrow morning, but I dont think its happening).

Gordon Cox says he sampled some Tony voters in his prediction piece for Variety. But he does not say how many he spoke with. Some of his predictions are pretty left field compared to our Gold Derby odds, expert predictions, and what Ive been hearing. For instance, he sees Tina as a frontrunner for Book and Kenny Leon as the winner for Best Director. And Celia Rose Gooding is leading Featured Actress in a Musical despite that race being a foregone conclusion for Lauren Patten for some time.

This leads me to believe its not a huge sample of voters. The Times notably spoke to hundreds of voters getting an enormous sample size of data. But if you only grab a handful of voters, its easier to get outliers who didnt vote for the frontrunner and skew your data. (Though I do maintain, as I have from the start, that Tina could be the night’s big shocking upset for Book of a Musical. Mostly due to admiration for Katori Hall.)

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    adamunc
    Topics:

I didn’t think any of the books this year were much to write home about, but Tina’s was particularly bad.

ReplyCopy URL
    Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.