Home Forums Theater 2022-2023 Broadway Productions

2022-2023 Broadway Productions

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 301 through 315 (of 318 total)
Created
10 months ago
Last Reply
12 hours ago
replies
views
users
Jeffrey Kare
rantinanton
adamunc

• Djoko
    Topics:

The reviews for & Juliet definitely get it into the Best Musical category, but after seeing Some Like It Hot, I don’t think anything will beat Kimberly Akimbo. With KA, SLIH, & Juliet in for 3 of the slots, we’ll have see what shows can get the other two. What do you guys think for the last two slots? I’m curious about the just announced new musical comedy Shucked that’s coming to Broadway in the Spring with Alex Newell.

ReplyCopy URL

Jeffrey Kare
    Topics:

I’ve mentioned before that I don’t feel comfortable predicting contenders that are currently sight unseen. I prefer to wait and see how they’ll fare after actually starting performances first. At this point, no one knows if some of the more eagerly awaited shows of the season will live up to anticipation or prove to be major disappointments. Same with shows that audiences don’t have high expectations for. Of course, there’s still the question of if Sing Street will make it to Broadway this season.

ReplyCopy URL

rantinanton
    Topics:

If Sing Street makes it it could probably get a Best Musical nod, as would KPOP. If Sing Street doesn’t get it, the slot will go to New York, New York.

ReplyCopy URL

adamunc
    Topics:

Akimbo is definitely the one to beat so far. Some Like It Hot is hugely entertaining, but Akimbo had the benefit of its Off-Broadway run so it’s exceptionally polished. Hot’s tryout was scuttled by COVID so there are a few rough edges and droopy moments of pacing that need to be sanded down, though it’s in terrific shape considering. It’s very possible all five of its key actors get Tony noms. Akimbo could also get five acting noms. Clark, Cooley, and Milligan are shoo-ins; Mauzey and Boyer could very well hear their names called as well.

ReplyCopy URL

Awardsfan1990
    Topics:

John Leguizamo is aiming to bring his musical Kiss My Aztec to Broadway next year. https://www.broadway.com/buzz/202840/john-leguizamo-reveals-kiss-my-aztec-will-arrive-on-broadway-in-2023/

ReplyCopy URL

Jeffrey Kare
    Topics:

Jefferson Mays’ one-man stage adaptation of A Christmas Carol has opened. It looks like quite an event to catch on Broadway this holiday season.

A Christmas Carol

ReplyCopy URL

rantinanton
    Topics:

Would it be up for Best Play or is it counted as a Special Theatrical Event? Maybe they should bring back the Best Special Theatrical Event category.

ReplyCopy URL

Djoko
    Topics:

If Sing Street makes it it could probably get a Best Musical nod, as would KPOP. If Sing Street doesn’t get it, the slot will go to New York, New York.

There have been so many issues with KPOP and so many canceled performances due to tech issues and Covid that I don’t think it will last nor do I think it will get nominated.

ReplyCopy URL

Jeffrey Kare
    Topics:

Would it be up for Best Play or is it counted as a Special Theatrical Event? Maybe they should bring back the Best Special Theatrical Event category.

If Jack Thorne’s adaptation of A Christmas Carol and other solo works such as Dana H., Latin History for Morons, A Life, and Sea Wall competed in the play categories, I don’t see how this wouldn’t as well.

ReplyCopy URL

Jeffrey Kare
    Topics:

ReplyCopy URL

rantinanton
    Topics:

I still think KPOP has a chance, COVID aside.

Also there’s a typo in the list of openings for New York, New York.

And isn’t Leopoldstadt open-ended?

ReplyCopy URL

Jeffrey Kare
    Topics:

According to Telecharge, tickets for Leopoldstadt are currently on sale through March 12th, 2023. Although that doesn’t mean it’s closing then. Given that it has been grossing over $1,000,000 a week (impressive for a nonmusical play with no stars nor brand recognition attached), I can see it continuing to run during Tony season.

ReplyCopy URL

Awardsfan1990
    Topics:

I’ve switched Leopoldstadt’s closing date to March 12 for now, since that’s the furthest date tickets are being sold for, but I will update it if it is expanded.

ReplyCopy URL

rantinanton
    Topics:

I suspect Jefferson Mays will get a Tony nod. He’s shown his versatility before in I Am My Own Wife and A Gentleman’s Guide to Love and Murder.

Have you heard of The Secret Garden possibly getting a Broadway revival: https://playbill.com/production/the-secret-garden-5th-avenue-theatre-fifth-avenue-theatre-2016-2017 It’s long overdue. And that makes the three Best Musical runners-up from the class of 1991.

ReplyCopy URL

Jeffrey Kare
    Topics:

I doubt that the planned revival of The Secret Garden will be coming to Broadway this season. It’s gonna be ending its L.A. run in late March. There’s no way the creative team will be able to remount it in New York soon after that.

ReplyCopy URL
    Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 301 through 315 (of 318 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.