Home Forums Theater 2022 Grammy Award For Best Musical Theater Album

2022 Grammy Award For Best Musical Theater Album

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
Created
1 year ago
Last Reply
8 months ago
replies
views
users
Jeffrey Kare
UmOkaaayyyyy
Awardsfan1990

• Awardsfan1990
    Topics:

The Grammy nominations for Best Musical Theater Album will be announced on November 23. I have no idea what will be nominated or even win, but if I had to make a guess, I’d say Girl From The North Country is probably the frontrunner. It was released one month before the eligibility period ended, and it’s all covers of Bob Dylan songs. We’ve seen how Grammy voters like jukebox cast recordings, as evidenced by Jagged Little Pill and Beautiful: The Carole King Musical winning in past years. Do you think this will happen again?

Jeffrey Kare
    Topics:

I agree with you about Girl From the North Country being the frontrunner. I wasn’t one of those people who underestimated Beautiful for the win back in 2015, but I was one of many who did underestimate Jagged Little Pill last year. Anytime a cast recording of a jukebox musical is in contention at the Grammys, we should at least take it seriously. They may not always come out on top, but still.

ReplyCopy URL

Jeffrey Kare
    Topics:

And the nominees are…

Andrew Lloyd Webber’s Cinderella
    Andrew Lloyd Webber, Nick Lloyd Webber & Greg Wells, producers; Andrew Lloyd Webber & David Zippel, composers/lyricists (Original Album Cast)

Burt Bacharach and Steven Sater’s Some Lovers
    Burt Bacharach, Michael Croiter, Ben Hartman & Steven Sater, producers; Burt Bacharach, composer; Steven Sater, lyricist (World Premiere Cast)

Girl From the North Country
    Simon Hale, Conor McPherson & Dean Sharenow, producers (Bob Dylan, composer & lyricist) (Original Broadway Cast)

Les Misérables: The Staged Concert (The Sensational 2020 Live Recording)
    Cameron Mackintosh, Lee McCutcheon & Stephen Metcalfe, producers (Claude-Michel Schönberg, composer; Alain Boublil, John Caird, Herbert Kretzmer, Jean-Marc Natel & Trevor Nunn, lyricists) (The 2020 Les Misérables Staged Concert Company)

Stephen Schwartz’s Snapshots
    Daniel C. Levine, Michael J Moritz Jr, Bryan Perri & Stephen Schwartz, producers (Stephen Schwartz, composer & lyricist) (World Premiere Cast)

The Unofficial Bridgerton Musical
    Emily Bear, producer; Abigail Barlow & Emily Bear, composers/lyricists (Barlow & Bear)

https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/GIRL-FROM-THE-NORTH-COUNTRY-CINDERELLA-More-Nominated-for-at-the-GRAMMY-AWARDS-20211123

ReplyCopy URL

UmOkaaayyyyy
    Topics:

Yeah, I’d guess “Girl from North Country” has this one.

ReplyCopy URL

Awardsfan1990
    Topics:

I agree. It’s a Bob Dylan jukebox musical, and Grammy voters seem to love them. Plus, it’s the only nominee in this lineup that’s based on an actual Broadway musical, which also plays a big factor and could’ve factored into why The Band’s Visit beat Jesus Christ Superstar Live In Concert three years ago.

ReplyCopy URL

Jeffrey Kare
    Topics:

In my latest piece for Gold Derby, I write about the race in this category.

2022 Grammy predictions: ‘Les Miserables’ battles Bob Dylan for Best Musical Theater Album

ReplyCopy URL

Villeneuve
    Topics:

So Im a little confused, were the rules changed and now the singers don’t get the award? There are not nominations for the soloist listed

ReplyCopy URL

Jeffrey Kare
    Topics:
    Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.