Home Forums Theater 2022 Tony Awards Nominations (Predictions Center Now Open!)

2022 Tony Awards Nominations (Predictions Center Now Open!)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 123 total)
Created
4 months ago
Last Reply
3 weeks ago
replies
views
users
Jeffrey Kare
adamunc
rantinanton
  • Profile picture
    GrammyLoser
    Topics:

It made more sense why the Tonys did a joint nomination/win for Billy Elliot back in 2009 because David Alvarez, Trent Kowalik, and Kiril Kulish were all playing the same character. Meanwhile, the entire cast of Six are playing six separate characters. I think a Best Ensemble award would be much more appropriate for the latter.

That’s it. A joint nomination for the actresses of Six makes no sense.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    rantinanton
    Topics:

The 1960s had a joint nomination for all seven Von Trapp children.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Jeffrey Kare
    Topics:

This year’s recipient of the Regional Theatre Tony Award is the Court Theatre of Chicago.
    https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Chicagos-Court-Theatre-Will-Receive-2022-Regional-Theatre-Tony-Award-20220518

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    adamunc
    Topics:

Jesse Green has posted his predictions and wishes for the Tonys in the NY Times now. As usual for the Times critics, he has some… odd predictions. Myles Frost?

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    runninglikewater
    Topics:

The 1960s had a joint nomination for all seven Von Trapp children.

And it’s still the oddest nomination ever like WHAT?

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Sam Eckmann
    Topics:

I will be forever mystified by the Times’ insistence to include Off-Broadway productions in this article every single year. The purpose of the Tony Awards is to award Broadway, not Off-Broadway. One could make a very compelling argument that this should be changed and the Tonys should encompass both (as some of the most thrilling and inventive theater every year is created Off-Broadway), but as it stands, those shows aren’t eligible for Tonys. So, No: they should not have been nominated.

In any case these predictions frequently have major errors. I believe this piece had Tootsie and The Waverly Gallery winning?

Interesting that Green thinks Trouble in Mind and LaChanze will take it. The question is, is that based on any conversations with industry voters, or just his own thoughts?

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Jeffrey Kare
    Topics:

In Theater Talk‘s recap of the 2010 Tony Awards, Jesse Green brought up how some of the best theatrical offerings that season were shows that only played Off-Broadway (@12:41). Michael Musto then mentioned that the Tonys “do acknowledge Off-Broadway when an Off-Broadway show moves to Broadway.”

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Balthazar
    Topics:

I never understood why Claybourne Elder was in Goldderby’s Top 5. He most certainly would not have been my 2nd, 3rd or 4th choice for featured actor from Company. Hope Matt Doyle wins now!

I think it’s because he’s the super big hunk of this production. I’ve been following him on social media during the pandemic and think he’s tremendous.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Balthazar
    Topics:

Idk if this situation that Jesse Williams is in has occurred before but based on the hoopla and how he deftly brushed it off, does this help his chances for the win? Or is it a non factor

Interesting he deftly brushed it off rather than (feigning) annoyance or anger. My take is any publicity is good publicity — yet the show or his fellow nominated co-stars benefit also. Jesse Tyler Ferguson’s chances have improved since nominations came out while Chuck Cooper’s profile has dropped just a touch.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    adamunc
    Topics:

Angela Lansbury will receive the Lifetime Achievement Tony this year.

One of the absolute giants of the theater. I wonder if she will be able to attend the ceremony and receive it in person.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Jeffrey Kare
    Topics:

If she does accept the award in person, I can easily see her getting the biggest standing ovation of the night.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    FreemanGriffin
    Topics:

Just wondering: every year we hear about the “out of town voters” and how they favor shows that will do well on tour – I would think, perhaps I am overthinking this, but wouldn’t they not want such a rarefied musical that would likely not appeal so much to audiences outside of New York win rather than A Strange Loop? Everybody seems to think ASL will definitely win but this is my one reservation (this has nothing to do with the quality of the musical, just on it’s chances with a large enough percentage of the voters?). IDK, just wondering aloud about it? Would love to hear Sam Eckmann’s opinion about this…

Also: with Caroline, or Change only nominated for two Tonys is Sharon D Clarke really the slam dunk to win the Tony?

I watched that superb documentary about the new version of Company and WOW! That was a great documentary! (: So incredibly interesting! (:

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    adamunc
    Topics:

The out of town voters are a relatively small percentage, about 10%. So what they prefer is often not enough to be a determining factor.

Plus, they would have to put most of their support behind a single other show to have a real impact.

But, in reality, there are as many reasons why people vote the way they do as there are voters.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Jeffrey Kare
    Topics:

With Caroline, or Change only nominated for two Tonys is Sharon D. Clarke really the slam dunk to win the Tony?

Caroline, or Change has three nominations overall for Best Musical Revival, Best Lead Actress, and Best Costume Design. I think the real hurdle Clarke has to face is that she’s nominated for a closed show. While several performances from closed shows managed to win Tonys this past decade such as Tracy Letts in Who’s Afraid of Virginia Woolf?, Mark Rylance in Twelfth Night, Annaleigh Ashford in You Can’t Take It With You, and Elaine May in The Waverly Gallery, they were all for plays. We haven’t seen an officially closed production of a musical win an acting award since Martin Short for Little Me back in 1999. Then again, rules were put into place in 2018-19 where only those who’ve confirmed to have seen all the nominees in a specific category can vote for the winner. Many believed The Boys in the Band really benefitted from that rule as it managed to win Best Revival of a Play in 2019 despite its limited run taking place almost a year beforehand.

Joaquina Kalukango is probably Clarke’s biggest competition. Even those who didn’t care for Paradise Square still walked away raving about her performance. The fact that the show itself overperformed in nominations (even though it probably is just filler in most of its categories) I think gives Joaquina a real path towards victory.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    FreemanGriffin
    Topics:

I love those short videos on The Tony Awards youtube channel with scenes from almost all of the nominated shows! I do wish they had one for Paradise Square though! (: They are doing a much better job with their visuals after years of neglecting them imo on social media!

ReplyCopy URL
    Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 123 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.