Home Forums Theater How the 2019-2020 Tonys would have gone

How the 2019-2020 Tonys would have gone

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
Created
9 months ago
Last Reply
4 months ago
replies
views
users
Jeffrey Kare
Awardsfan1990
Rich Landry
  • Profile picture
    Ted Stevenson
    Topics:

So the 2019-2020 Broadway season as we knew it is long gone. I’ve been thinking – how might that have gone had the coronavirus not upended everything? Would love some help with additions on the below. I don’t live in NY so I am very out of the loop. Would love to know what I’m not accounting for

BEST MUSICAL
    THE GIRL FROM THE NORTH COUNTRY
    SIX
    FLYING OVER SUNSET
    MOULIN ROUGE!
    SING STREET
    MRS. DOUBTFIRE
    JAGGED LITTLE PILL
    TINA: THE TINA TURNER MUSICAL
    PERCY JACKSON AND THE LIGHTING THIEF
    DIANA

BEST PLAY
    THE LEHMAN TRILOGY (Vivian Beaumont – Lincoln Center)
    THE INHERITANCE
    SLAVE PLAY
    THE SOUND INSIDE
    FAIRVIEW
    THE GREAT SOCIETY
    THE MINUTES

BEST REVIVAL OF A MUSICAL
    COMPANY
    WEST SIDE STORY
    CAROLINE, OR CHANGE (Roundabout)

BEST REVIVAL OF A PLAY
    WHO’S AFRAID OF VIRGINIA WOOLF?
    HOW I LEARNED TO DRIVE
    BLUE
    TAKE ME OUT
    PLAZA SUITE
    A SOLDIER’S PLAY
    BETRAYAL

BEST LEADING ACTRESS IN A MUSICAL
    Sharon D Clarke, CAROLINE, OR CHANGE
    Adrienne Warren, TINA: THE TINA TURNER MUSICAL
    Karen Olivo, MOULIN ROUGE
    Katrina Lenk, COMPANY
    Carmen Cusack, FLYING OVER SUNSET
    Mare Winningham, GIRL FROM THE NORTH COUNTRY
    Celia Gooding, JAGGED LITTLE PILL
    Elizabeth Stanley, JAGGED LITTLE PILL
    Jeanna de Waal, DIANA
    Shereen Pimentel, WEST SIDE STORY
    Kristin Stokes, THE LIGHTNING THIEF

BEST LEADING ACTRESS IN A PLAY
    Laurie Metcalfe, WHO’S AFRAID OF VIRGINIA WOOLF?
    Laura Linney, MY NAME IS LUCY BARTON
    Audra McDonald, FRANKIE AND JOHNNY IN THE CLAIR DE LUNE
    Mary Louise Parker, HOW I LEARNED TO DRIVE
    Mary Louise Parker, THE SOUND INSIDE
    Jane Alexander, GRAND HORIZONS
    Zawe Ashton, BETRAYAL
    Sarah Jessica Parker, PLAZA SUITE

BEST LEADING ACTOR IN A MUSICAL
    Tony Yazbeck, FLYING OVER SUNSET
    Rob McClure, MRS. DOUBTFIRE
    Jay O. Sanders, GIRL FROM THE NORTH COUNTRY
    Aaron Tveit, MOULIN ROUGE
    Daniel J. Watts, TINA: THE TINA TURNER MUSICAL
    Brenock O’Connor, SING STREET
    Isaac Powell, WEST SIDE STORY
    Chris McCarrell, THE LIGHTING THIEF
    Rob Hartrampf, DIANA

BEST LEADING ACTOR IN A PLAY
    Simon Russell Beale, THE LEHMAN TRILOGY
    Adam Godley, THE LEHMAN TRILOGY
    Ben Miles, THE LEHMAN TRILOGY
    Kyle Soler, THE INHERITANCE
    Tracy Letts, THE MINUTES
    Blair Underwood, A SOLDIER’S PLAY
    David Morse, HOW I LEARNED TO DRIVE
    Rupert Everett, WHO’S AFRAID OF VIRGINIA WOOLF?
    Jesse Williams, TAKE ME OUT
    Matthew Broderick, PLAZA SUITE
    Michael Shannon, FRANKIE AND JOHNNY IN THE CLAIR DE LUNE
    Mark Addy, HANGMEN
    Tom Hiddleston, BETRAYAL
    Charlie Cox, BETRAYAL
    Campbell Scott, A CHRISTMAS CAROL
    Ian Barford, LINDA VISTA

BEST FEATURED ACTRESS IN A MUSICAL
    Patti LuPone, COMPANY
    Jeanette Bayardelle, GIRL FROM THE NORTH COUNTRY
    Lauren Patten, JAGGED LITTLE PILL
    Jenn Gambatese, MRS. DOUBTFIRE
    Kathryn Gallagher, JAGGED LITTLE PILL

BEST FEATURED ACTRESS IN A PLAY
    Joaquina Kalukango, SLAVE PLAY
    Blair Brown, THE MINUTES
    Annie McNamara, SLAVE PLAY
    Lois Smith, THE INHERITANCE
    Patsy Ferran, WHO’S AFRAID OF VIRGINIA WOOLF?
    Jessie Mueller, THE MINUTES

BEST FEATURED ACTOR IN A MUSICAL
    Danny Burstein, MOULIN ROUGE
    Harry Hadden-Paton, FLYING OVER SUNSET
    Brad Oscar, MRS. DOUBTFIRE

BEST FEATURED ACTOR IN A PLAY
    Paul Alexander Nolan, SLAVE PLAY
    James Cusati-Moyer, SLAVE PLAY
    Ato Blankson-Wood, SLAVE PLAY
    David Alan Grier, A SOLDIER’S PLAY
    K. Todd Freeman, THE MINUTES
    Paul Hilton, THE INHERITANCE
    Jesse Tyler Ferguson, TAKE ME OUT
    J. Alphonse Nicholson, A SOLIDER’S PLAY
    Russell Tovey, WHO’S AFRAID OF VIRGINIA WOOLF?
    Patrick J Adams, TAKE ME OUT
    Michael Oberholtzer, TAKE ME OUT

Profile picture
    Jeffrey Kare
    Topics:

Hard to tell given how some of those productions (American Buffalo, Birthday Candles, Caroline, or Change, Flying Over Sunset, How I Learned to Drive, Plaza Suite, Sing Street, and Take Me Out) didn’t even get to begin performances because of the shutdown.

Though I think Best Musical would’ve come down to Girl From the North Country (which might’ve won Book) and Six (which might’ve won Score). Best Revival of a Musical would’ve been an interesting race. Of the six nominated musical productions Roundabout Theatre Company produced within the last decade, only one of them won Best Revival, which was Anything Goes in 2011. So I would’ve been surprised if it ended up being Caroline, or Change. Despite the polarizing reception to Ivo van Hove’s revival of West Side Story, those who did like the production really liked it. Not to mention that the musical itself is way overdue for a top honor from the Tonys. Though given how competitive Company might’ve been in the acting races, that probably would’ve had an edge.

Speaking of which, I think Rob McClure would’ve won Lead Actor in a Musical for Mrs. Doubtfire with Isaac Powell as his closest competition for West Side Story. Lead Actress in a Musical probably would’ve came down to Sharon D. Clarke, Katrina Lenk, and Adrienne Warren. Though had Tina not make the cut for Best Musical, I’m not sure if Tony voters would’ve given this award to a performance as a legendary recording artist in a jukebox/biographical musical that wasn’t nominated for the top category two years in a row. I think if you want to win Best Lead Actress in a Musical despite your show not being nominated for a top category, you need to be up against someone playing Lilli/Katherine in Kiss Me, Kate. While Katrina Lenk did just win two years ago, there still is the narrative of how no performer has ever won a Tony for playing Bobby in Company. With Sharon D. Clarke, she did beat Adrienne Warren for the Olivier last year, plus the role of Caroline Thibodeaux almost won Tonya Pinkins a Tony for the original production in 2004, but lost in an upset to Idina Menzel for Wicked. I think Matt Doyle and Patti LuPone would’ve won both Featured Acting races for Company.

The Lehman Trilogy probably would’ve won Best Play with Slave Play as its closest competition. Best Revival of a Play would’ve been a very competitive race between Betrayal, A Soldier’s Play, and Who’s Afraid of Virginia Woolf?, though I think Betrayal would’ve won given how it was completely different from any production of the Harold Pinter play that had been produced before.

• This reply was modified 9 months, 1 week ago by Jeffrey Kare.
    ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Awardsfan1990
    Topics:

I think Patti LuPone would have been one of the biggest locks of the night, given her win at the Oliviers and from all the buzz she’d been getting in the Broadway previews. A friend of mine traveled to New York City to see the show and said she was spectacular.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Jeffrey Kare
    Topics:

From the reports I’ve read of those who got to see Who’s Afraid of Virginia Woolf? during its very short preview period, it looked like Laurie Metcalf would’ve had a great shot of winning a third Tony. I even remember while Alex Meyer and I were discussing our predictions going into nominations last year, he predicted that Laurie was not getting into Best Lead Actress in a Play for Hillary & Clinton because at that point, the Virginia Woolf? revival had just been announced. So he felt that voters would have a chance to award her next year. My response to that was “I think that would more hurt her chances of winning than of actually getting nominated.” Sure enough, I was right that Laurie Metcalf did get nominated last year. Since the Virginia Woolf? revival will not resume performances when Broadway eventually reopens, now we know Laurie won’t be winning a third Tony this year. It just goes to show how careful one must be when making their award predictions just a year in advance.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Ted Stevenson
    Topics:

Damn, I would have loved to see that production of Virginia Woolf?

It’s so unfortunate knowing how many of the shows will never get their chance on the Great White Way. And how many that would have continued on had the virus never hit that will never have to shutter all too early.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Awardsfan1990
    Topics:

There was a lot of debate of whether David Alan Grier would be considered as lead or featured for A Soldier’s Play. Since he got a Drama Desk nomination today as a featured actor, I’m betting that’s where he would have gotten in at the Tonys.

Amar Ramasar was also notably snubbed from the Drama Desks for West Side Story. While it is true no performer who’s played Bernardo has ever gotten a Tony nomination, I’m thinking his snub has more to do with his disgusting off-stage behavior rather than people disliking his performance, although I’m sure that probably plays into it somewhat. So therefore, I think those two things would have gotten him snubbed by the Tonys, too.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Jeffrey Kare
    Topics:

If Amar Ramasar wasn’t widely predicted to get nominated, then I would hardly call it a snub.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    TVLUVAH
    Topics:

Any updates on when this year’s nominees will be announced and show details?

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Jeffrey Kare
    Topics:

As of now, nothing has been announced yet.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Rich Landry
    Topics:

Not sure where to post this:
    https://variety.com/2020/legit/news/will-the-tonys-be-canceled-in-2020-1234599091/

I know an actual ceremony won’t be possible this year. I dont think the next round of any award show will look like it did last year. At least for the Tony’s, instead of announcing nominees, the committee picks one winner for each category and just announce a winner this year. In this article, I love the idea of a special to celebrate the re-opening of Broadway. There, each winner could be present to give a speech and/or perform.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    24fanatic
    Topics:

I don’t think the Tonys should be canceled this year. It isn’t fair to all the performers & productions that have gone on throughout 2019 to early 2020. I understand that the main problem is not all voters having seen everything eligible to vote. I think they should meet up, determine which productions they have all seen and the ones that haven’t been made eligible for next year.

I also agree with Rich Landry that instead of announcing nominees, they should just vote on and choose winners in each category and announce those during a virtual presentation. It won’t be much fun, but at least some theatre people will be given the opportunity to be honored for their work this season.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    24fanatic
    Topics:

If I had to guess winners…

BEST MUSICAL
    THE GIRL FROM THE NORTH COUNTRY

BEST PLAY
    THE INHERITANCE

BEST REVIVAL OF A MUSICAL
    WEST SIDE STORY

BEST REVIVAL OF A PLAY
    A SOLDIER’S PLAY

BEST LEADING ACTRESS IN A MUSICAL
    Adrienne Warren, TINA: THE TINA TURNER MUSICAL

BEST LEADING ACTRESS IN A PLAY
    Mary Louise Parker, THE SOUND INSIDE

BEST LEADING ACTOR IN A MUSICAL
    Isaac Powell, WEST SIDE STORY

BEST LEADING ACTOR IN A PLAY
    Jake Gyllenhaal, Sea Wall / A Life

BEST FEATURED ACTRESS IN A MUSICAL
    Lauren Patten, JAGGED LITTLE PILL

BEST FEATURED ACTRESS IN A PLAY
    Lois Smith, THE INHERITANCE

BEST FEATURED ACTOR IN A MUSICAL
    Danny Burstein, MOULIN ROUGE

BEST FEATURED ACTOR IN A PLAY
    David Alan Grier, A SOLDIER’S PLAY

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Jeffrey Kare
    Topics:

In a recent interview with Richard Ridge for BroadwayWorld, Charlotte St. Martin, who’s president of The Broadway League, shared this regarding the status of the next Tony Awards ceremony:

“I think that [yesterday’s] announcement will help us get closer to what we should do. We have a lot of people telling us how we should do it, but until we know [which shows] are coming back, it’s gonna be difficult to make that decision. We are definitely looking at it and trying to figure out the best way. There is no perfect way.”

https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/BWW-Exclusive-Watch-Broadway-Leagues-Charlotte-St-Martin-Explain-Next-Steps-for-Broadway-the-Future-of-the-Tony-Awards-and-More-20200513

• This reply was modified 8 months, 1 week ago by Jeffrey Kare.
    • This reply was modified 8 months, 1 week ago by Jeffrey Kare.
    ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Jeffrey Kare
    Topics:
    Rich Landry
    Topics:

Breaking news on instagram: The 2020 Digital Tony Awards are coming this Fall! So happy they are going to honor the work from this year.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.