January 6, 2018 at 1:39 pm #1202458070
I literally didn’t see this coming at all, but Sara Bareilles will be playing Mary Magdalene in Jesus Christ Superstar…
https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/HOLD-Sara-Bareilles-to-Portray-Mary-Magdalene-in-NBCs-JESUS-CHRIST-SUPERSTAR-LIVE-IN-CONCERT-20180106February 22, 2018 at 1:44 pm #1202499024
More casting for Jesus Christ Superstar Live: Tony nominee Brandon Victor Dixon will play Judas, Tony nominee Ben Daniels will play Pontius Pilate, Tony nominee Norm Lewis will play Caiaphas, Jason Tam will play Peter, Jin Ha will play Annas, and Erik Gronwall will play Simon Zealotes. http://variety.com/2018/tv/news/hamilton-brandon-victor-dixon-nbc-jesus-christ-superstar-live-1202707612/February 23, 2018 at 2:33 pm #1202499695
Complete casting has been announced for NBC’s upcoming live production of Jesus Christ Superstar…
http://www.playbill.com/article/joel-perez-lauren-zakrin-felicia-boswell-and-more-join-nbcs-live-jesus-christ-superstar-concertMarch 2, 2018 at 9:52 am #1202504133
NBC has once again delayed Bye Bye Birdie Live! until 2019 at the earliest because of Jennifer Lopez’s schedule…
March 21, 2018 at 6:51 pm #1202517343
- This reply was modified 1 year, 8 months ago by Jeffrey Kare.
Jesus Christ Superstar Live will release a soundtrack digitally on April 6 and physically on April 20. http://www.playbill.com/article/masterworks-broadway-will-release-recording-of-jesus-christ-superstar-live-in-concertApril 1, 2018 at 9:28 am #1202522489
As Jesus Christ Superstar Live in Concert airs on NBC tonight, here is the backstory behind this iconic rock opera…
https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/The-Story-of-JESUS-CHRIST-SUPERSTAR-20180401April 1, 2018 at 11:03 am #1202522507
MsMojo made a video about the 10 musicals they think should be done for live TV next. Do you agree with their list?
4. The Phantom Of The Opera
5. The Book Of Mormon
6. Beauty And The Beast
7. Moulin Rouge!
8. West Side Story
9. Little Shop Of Horrors
10. Guys And Dolls
BandstandApril 1, 2018 at 11:43 am #1202522510
While that looks like a solid list, there’s still many things at play…
1. Any television network such as ABC, CBS, FOX, and/or NBC would have to do a show with broad appeal. In other words, they would have to present a title that the general public would be familiar with.
2. There’s also a matter of the rights. I’d love to see NBC do Fiddler on the Roof and Hello, Dolly! (with Bette Midler), but it won’t be for a while given recent/current revivals as well as upcoming tours. Also given how there’s film reboots of Little Shop of Horrors and West Side Story in the works, the rights to do those shows on TV will be unavailable for a while. Plus, since other titles on the list such as The Book of Mormon, Chicago, Hamilton, The Phantom of the Opera, and Wicked are all still running on Broadway, I doubt we’ll be seeing any of those on TV any time soon.
3. No network would ever have any interest in shows with such mature content like The Book of Mormon, Cabaret, nor Carousel. I also don’t know how cable channels like HBO would present live musicals given how their viewership is much more limiting.April 2, 2018 at 7:24 am #1202522885
Here’s the review roundup for Jesus Christ Superstar Live! https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Review-Roundup-Whats-the-Buzz-on-JESUS-CHRIST-SUPERSTAR-LIVE-20180402July 24, 2018 at 10:13 am #1202592796
NBC will be presenting their live telecast of Hair on May 19th, 2019. Not only that, but Tony winner Diane Paulus (who made her Broadway debut in 2009 when she helmed the most recent revival) will be directing along with Alex Rudzinski.
https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/NBCs-HAIR-Live-to-Air-May-19-2019-with-Direction-by-Diane-Paulus-and-Alex-Rudzinski-20180724August 7, 2018 at 8:46 am #1202604497
This is interesting. Whoever wins the current season of So You Think You Can Dance will automatically be cast in some role in Rent Live!. https://www.broadway.com/buzz/192972/the-winner-of-so-you-think-you-can-dance-to-earn-part-in-foxs-rent-live/September 5, 2018 at 10:39 am #1202623864
FOX’s upcoming live television production of Rent has launched a casting search for the role of Roger Davis.
https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/RENT-LIVE-Seeks-Actor-for-Roger-20180905September 9, 2018 at 6:27 pm #1202628310
Not only has NBC’s production of Jesus Christ Superstar just won Outstanding Variety Special (Live) at the Creative Arts Emmy Awards, but three people have just completed their EGOT as executive producers on the telecast: star John Legend, lyricist Tim Rice, & composer Andrew Lloyd Webber.October 29, 2018 at 10:57 am #1202664234
Casting has been announced for FOX’s live upcoming production of Rent, which includes Jordan Fisher as Mark Cohen, Brennin Hunt as Roger Davis, Tinashe as Mimi Marquéz, Brandon Victor Dixon as Tom Collins, Valentina as Angel Dumott Schunard, Vanessa Hudgens as Maureen Johnson, Kiersey Clemons as Joanne Jefferson, Mario as Benjamin Coffin III, and Keala Settle as the ‘Seasons of Love’ soloist.
It’s also worth noting that Michael Greif, who directed the original stage incarnations of the show, will be repeating his duties for the telecast.
- This reply was modified 1 year ago by Jeffrey Kare.
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.