Home Forums Theater The 2019 Tony Awards

The 2019 Tony Awards

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 51 total)
Created
8 months ago
Last Reply
3 months ago
replies
views
users
Jeffrey Kare
Anton Spivack
adamunc
  • adamunc
    Participant
    Topics:

Based on the Chicago tryout and David Yazbek’s pedigree, Tootsie is almost certain to be in the mix for book and score.

Anton Spivack
    Participant
    Topics:

Well if Tootsie gets nods for Best Book and Score then Book, Score and Musical will all go to the big four of the year–Be More Chill, Hadestown, The Prom and Tootsie.

Also in the running for Best Featured Actress are Bonnie Milligan in Head Over Heels, Ali Stroker in Oklahoma! and Angie Schworer in The Prom.

adamunc
    Participant
    Topics:

One other thing to remember in Score is that Philip Glass is doing new music for King Lear. Depending on how things shake out and how substantial the music is, he could score a nod. Just last year, Angels in America was nominated for Best Score and other plays have been nominated in recent years as well. In 2012, two plays (One Man, Two Guvnors, Peter and the Starcatcher) were nominated and the score for the musical Leap of Faith was snubbed. In 2010, Enron and Fences were nominated for Score (though there were only two eligible scores from musicals that year, IIRC).

Luminaire
    Participant
    Topics:

Will Moulin Rogue not be eligible for this season? When does that open?

Jeffrey Kare
    Participant
    Topics:

Moulin Rouge! will be opening in the summer, so it will not be eligible for this year’s Tonys.

prognosticator
    Participant
    Topics:

Well if Tootsie gets nods for Best Book and Score then Book, Score and Musical will all go to the big four of the year–Be More Chill, Hadestown, The Prom and Tootsie.

Also in the running for Best Featured Actress are Bonnie Milligan in Head Over Heels, Ali Stroker in Oklahoma! and Angie Schworer in The Prom.

Hadestown will do really well because it’s completely original. Be More Chill reminds me of Dear Evan Hansen quite a lot. I’m not sure that is a good thing. I think Amber Gray and Mary Testa will be nominated (don’t know if Gray is leading or featured but I think she’s going to get a nod). Mary Testa is getting great reviews for Oklahoma.

Anton Spivack
    Participant
    Topics:

Then for Best Lead Actress in a musical:

Samantha Barks, Pretty Woman
    Beth Leavel, The Prom
    Caitlyn Kinnunen, The Prom
    Bonnie Milligan, Head Over Heels
    Kelli O’Hara, Kiss Me, Kate

For Best Supporting Actress in a Musical:

Amber Grey, Hadestown
    Orfeh, Pretty Woman
    Angie Schworer, The Prom
    Ali Stroker, Oklahoma!
    Mary Testa, Oklahoma!

adamunc
    Participant
    Topics:

I’d be shocked if Stephanie J. Block doesn’t make it in for Leading Actress. She may be the frontrunner to win at this early point. The only thing working against her is she’s missed quite a few performances during the winter due to illness. I really don’t think Head Over Heels needs to be counting on any major nominations. And I think Rebecca Naomi Jones is probably more likely to get in for Oklahoma! than Kinnunen is.

In featured, Sophia Anne Caruso is an interesting case from Beetlejuice. She seemed to get the best of the notices in DC. I’m not sure which category she would be placed in, but right now I’d guess Featured. But the same show also has Leslie Kritzer, a respected veteran, most likely eligible for Featured as well.

prognosticator
    Participant
    Topics:

My current best actress nominees (musical):

Stephanie J. Block, The Cher Show
    Rebecca Naomi Jones, Oklahoma!
    Eva Noblezada, Hadestown
    Kelli O’Hara, Kiss Me, Kate

I think Noblezada could pull off the upset for a lot of reasons. Hadestown will be the sleeper hit of the spring. It’s between her and Block I think. Block is in a jukebox musical that got very lukewarm reviews.

Best actress in a featured role in a musical:

Amber Gray, Hadestown
    Ali Stroker, Oklahoma!
    Mary Testa, Oklahoma!

Those three I think are locks. The other two could go to The Prom, Sophia Ann Caruso and Kiss Me, Kate.
    I think Gray will win (and Patrick Page in featured actor).

Jeffrey Kare
    Participant
    Topics:

I’d be shocked if Stephanie J. Block doesn’t make it in for Leading Actress. She may be the frontrunner to win at this early point. The only thing working against her is she’s missed quite a few performances during the winter due to illness.

I think the main thing that could be working against Stephanie J. Block is how The Cher Show has been received. No performance from a show that wasn’t nominated for Best Musical has won an acting prize since Heather Headley for Aida back in 2000. Plus, there is still the whole industry bias against commodity musicals.

Speaking of Best Musical, we currently seem to have four shows (Be More Chill, Hadestown, The Prom, and Tootsie) set for nominations in that category, though the fifth slot now appears to be up for grabs. Early reports for Ain’t Too Proud don’t appear to be promising. Beetlejuice didn’t get great reviews out of town, but we’ll see if the creative team are able to work out all the problems. The Cher Show and Head Over Heels both got mixed reviews. There’s no way Gettin’ the Band Back Together, King Kong, nor Pretty Woman are making the cut.

• This reply was modified 3 months, 2 weeks ago by  Jeffrey Kare.
    • This reply was modified 3 months, 2 weeks ago by  Jeffrey Kare.
    prognosticator
    Participant
    Topics:

I think the main thing that could be working against Stephanie J. Block is how The Cher Show has been received. No performance from a show that wasn’t nominated for Best Musical has won an acting prize since Heather Headley for Aida back in 2000. Plus, there is still the whole industry bias against commodity musicals.

Speaking of Best Musical, we currently seem to have four shows (Be More Chill, Hadestown, The Prom, and Tootsie) set for nominations in that category, though the fifth slot now appears to be up for grabs. Early reports for Ain’t Too Proud don’t appear to be promising. Beetlejuice didn’t get great reviews out of town, but we’ll see if the creative team are able to work out all the problems. The Cher Show and Head Over Heels both got mixed reviews. There’s no way Gettin’ the Band Back Together, King Kong, nor Pretty Woman are making the cut.

I agree. As I said I think Hadestown will do really well at the Tonys. I think it’s got a shot at winning 3/4 acting categories (Santino will take leading actor I think).

The play categories are much more up in the air.

Anton Spivack
    Participant
    Topics:

There’s only a fifth Best Musical nominee if the candidates that get the fourth and fifth-highest number of votes are close enough.  I’m not sure that will happen this year.  But if there is a fifth, I’m pulling for Head Over Heels.

Jeffrey Kare
    Participant
    Topics:

Though last year just a few days before nominations were announced, the administration committee made new rules where every single category can have 5 nominees if there are at least 9 eligible candidates. Which was why we saw an increase in nominations for Best Play, Best Revival of a Play, Best Orchestrations, and all the design awards.

Anton Spivack
    Participant
    Topics:

So for Best Book I would choose Head Over Heels for the fifth slot.  For Best Score I would go with King Lear.

Jeffrey Kare
    Participant
    Topics:

Of the new musicals we have this season, only eight of them have original scores. I don’t know about the play scores yet.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘The 2019 Tony Awards’ is closed to new replies.