Home Forums Theater The 2019 Tony Awards

The 2019 Tony Awards

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 51 total)
Created
11 months ago
Last Reply
6 months ago
replies
views
users
Jeffrey Kare
Anton Spivack
adamunc
  • Awardsfan1990
    Participant
    Topics:

Head Over Heels had a very mixed response from critics. At best, I think it can only muster nominations for scenic design, costume design and lighting design. Maybe Bonnie Milligan could get a nomination, but given that the show closed in January, she may have a tough time getting in. Maybe the Tony nomination committee will give the show a lot of love, especially if they want to stick it to Ben Brantley for his initially transphobic review of the show (which he did apologize for and his controversial comments were removed), but I don’t see it happening.

adamunc
    Participant
    Topics:

There’s a lot of complaining about the music in King Lear from early preview reports. There’s actually a lot of complaining about most everything in King Lear, but particularly the music.

Anton Spivack
    Participant
    Topics:

Given that Philip Glass composed the music to King Lear, I’m not surprised it’s being slammed.

montana82
    Participant
    Topics:

Who is gonna win Lead Actress in a Play?

Glenda for King Lear? Laurie for Hillary and Clinton? Keri R is playing the role that won Joan Allen a Tony no? Can Bening finally win a big award?

Who is out front? Probably Laurie is my guess. Playing Hill will be too much for them to resist.

"Here's a wonderfully b*tchy post from Montana82...." - Tom O'Neill Emmy Prediction Slugfest August 1st, 2019

M: The Original
    Participant
    Topics:

Glenda for King Lear? Laurie for Hillary and Clinton? Keri R is playing the role that won Joan Allen a Tony no? Can Bening finally win a big award?

Who is out front? Probably Laurie is my guess. Playing Hill will be too much for them to resist.

Hoping Jackson can repeat.

Jeffrey Kare
    Participant
    Topics:

At this point, I think the race is between Glenda Jackson and Elaine May. Though the latter may suffer from her show being long gone by the time Tony night comes along.

prognosticator
    Participant
    Topics:

At this point, I think the race is between Glenda Jackson and Elaine May. Though the latter may suffer from her show being long gone by the time Tony night comes along.

And Lear is a very demanding role. It’s an Everest of a role if ever there was one. They need to get that production cleaned up during previews or it could hurt Glenda’s chances. Elaine May has never won…but her show closed so she’s got that strike against her.

prognosticator
    Participant
    Topics:

Uh Laurie has won twice in a row. She’s not winning a third. Glenda, Keri and Annette have a much better chance at winning here. I’d like Glenda to win.

Jeffrey Kare
    Participant
    Topics:

Then again, it does seem that whenever Laurie Metcalf is not the sole nominee from her production, she ends up winning. We shall see if that happens again this year.

prognosticator
    Participant
    Topics:

Then again, it does seem that whenever Laurie Metcalf is not the sole nominee from her production, she ends up winning. We shall see if that happens again this year.

They’ve never given three in a row so I highly doubt Laurie will do that. Judith Light has two in a row and so does Laurie. It’ll go to Glenda I suspect (another repeat). Annette Bening shouldn’t be counted out either. She’s a very fine actress who could easily pull off an upset-especially if Laurie and Glenda somehow split votes.

I think the play categories are tougher to call. For actor in a play I think it’s really hard with Cranston, Daniels and Lithgow.

Jeffrey Kare
    Participant
    Topics:

All My Sons doesn’t begin previews for another month, so we shouldn’t (officially) start counting on Annette Bening to be a strong contender until people actually see the production. Especially given the mostly underwhelming track record director Jack O’Brien has had since 2009’s Impressionism. Though he has at least managed to direct two performances (Norbert Leo Butz in Catch Me If You Can and Lindsay Mendez in Carousel) to Tony Awards.

It also doesn’t look like Laura Donnelly could potentially repeat her win at the Olivier Awards for The Ferryman. While the production is still running on Broadway, she’s not in it anymore.

Luminaire
    Participant
    Topics:

It’s too bad Come From Away wasn’t up last year or this year… it would be a best musical winner. Damn Hansen.

Djoko
    Participant
    Topics:

They’ve never given three in a row so I highly doubt Laurie will do that. Judith Light has two in a row and so does Laurie. It’ll go to Glenda I suspect (another repeat). Annette Bening shouldn’t be counted out either. She’s a very fine actress who could easily pull off an upset-especially if Laurie and Glenda somehow split votes.

I think the play categories are tougher to call. For actor in a play I think it’s really hard with Cranston, Daniels and Lithgow.

Of course you don’t mention two hugely acclaimed performances from Elaine May and Paddy Considine (whether they’re still running or not).

prognosticator
    Participant
    Topics:

Of course you don’t mention two hugely acclaimed performances from Elaine May and Paddy Considine (whether they’re still running or not).

Elaine will be nominated but with all these respected actresses in productions that are running I think her chances of winning are diminished. Typically shows still open at Tony time tend to do better.

Jeffrey Kare
    Participant
    Topics:

Though we have seen closed shows win acting awards in the past with more recent examples like Tracy Letts in Who’s Afraid of Virginia Woolf?, Mark Rylance in Twelfth Night, and Annaleigh Ashford in You Can’t Take It With You. However, I think what might’ve helped those performances overcome that obstacle was that they were still highly talked about by the end of their seasons.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘The 2019 Tony Awards’ is closed to new replies.