Home Forums Theater Tony Award Nominations 2022

Tony Award Nominations 2022

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 57 total)
Created
8 months ago
Last Reply
5 months ago
replies
views
users
Jeffrey Kare
rantinanton
Awardsfan1990
  • Profile picture
    Sam Eckmann
    Topics:

I don’t believe Sing Street has plans to open this season anymore., and havent for a while. If it transfers it will be for next season.

And I thought Flying Over Sunset was fascinating, fabulous, and I loved it. Regardless of your opinion of the show, if you think a bold, new, ORIGINAL musical from THAT creative team is going to be left out of the Best Musical lineup, you’re nuts!

Profile picture
    rantinanton
    Topics:

The problem with FOS was that many scenes went on too long. If they had cut about a half hour of the dialogue it would have been a terrific show. Original doesn’t always mean the best.

Profile picture
    Jeffrey Kare
    Topics:

Original doesn’t always mean the best.

Yeah, If/Then can easily attest to that argument. It was one of the only two completely original musicals of the 2013-14 Broadway season (the other was First Date). Michael Riedel reported in his column that the show missing out on a Tony nomination for Best Musical was surprising. He said “The nominators didn’t hate it; they were just disappointed in it.”

Profile picture
    rantinanton
    Topics:

Not to mention Gettin’ the Band Back Together, which was touted as “a completely original musical” in a scripted preshow. Of course, while it wasn’t an adaptation the plot was too overdone.

Profile picture
    Djoko
    Topics:

I don’t believe Sing Street has plans to open this season anymore., and havent for a while. If it transfers it will be for next season.

And I thought Flying Over Sunset was fascinating, fabulous, and I loved it. Regardless of your opinion of the show, if you think a bold, new, ORIGINAL musical from THAT creative team is going to be left out of the Best Musical lineup, you’re nuts!

Then I’m nuts because I thought it was terrible and so did a lot of critics: https://didtheylikeit.com/shows/flying-over-sunset/
    It will only be nominated if they’re desperate for a fifth nominee a la Beetlejuice.

Profile picture
    Jeffrey Kare
    Topics:

There have been instances in the past where at least one of the Best Musical nominees is only there as filler.

Profile picture
    rantinanton
    Topics:

Such as Leap of Faith, Merlin, The Lieutenant, and even Starmites.

Profile picture
    Peter Bloch
    Topics:

I think they only nominated straight plays last year because none of the nominated musicals had original scores. I they best score will only be musicals this year. Do you have a favorite for Best Musical? I picked Strange Loop because it won the Pulitzer and NY Drama Critics Circle Awards two years ago.

Profile picture
    rantinanton
    Topics:

I’m leaning toward Strange Loop, I think it would be a milestone if it won, considering Black-authored plays have fared far better at the Pulitzers than at the Tonys.

Profile picture
    Sam Eckmann
    Topics:

Since James Lapine’s Broadway debut in ’84 with Sunday in the Park with George, his shows have only missed a top show category at the Tonys ONCE. (Sondheim on Sondheim in 2010). That’s an astounding track record. Critics are not Tony nominators, and shows with way worse critic track records have been nominated anyway. There are plenty of people here in the industry who admire the show. I would be shocked if Flying Over Sunset missed.

Profile picture
    rantinanton
    Topics:

Flying Over Sunset could get nods for Best Score, Scenic Design and Tony Yazbeck, but having already closed and gotten mixed reviews at best, it’s a longshot for Best Musical.

Profile picture
    Jeffrey Kare
    Topics:

Carmen Cusack is also a possibility for Best Lead Actress in a Musical. As I’ve mentioned earlier in this thread, I can see Flying Over Sunset sneaking into Best Musical if the nominating committee respects it enough for its originality even if they don’t necessarily 100% agree with the end results. It probably already has a better shot at a bid there there than Diana, MJ, and Mrs. Doubtfire. Of course, we also need to see how Mr. Saturday Night and Paradise Square will both fare on Broadway.

Profile picture
    rantinanton
    Topics:

I can see FOS in the #6 position. I doubt it will be up for Best Book. And then there’s The Little Prince, if it’s eligible.

Profile picture
    rantinanton
    Topics:

If The Little Prince is eligible for Best Musical, it just might take one of the five slots, along with North Country, Paradise Square, Six and Strange Loop. For Best Score, I predict Flying Over Sunset, Mr. Saturday Night, Six, Skeleton Crew (I liked the raps in that) and Strange Loop.

Profile picture
    Peter Bloch
    Topics:

I think A Strange Loop will win.
    It won the Pulitzer and NY Drama Critics circle award. Six didn’t win the Olivier. Also A Strange Loop is much more in sync with the Tony Award focus on diversity.

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘Tony Award Nominations 2022’ is closed to new replies.