Home Forums Theater Tony Awards 2019 Nominations Predictions for Best Musical and Play

Tony Awards 2019 Nominations Predictions for Best Musical and Play

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
Alex Meyer
Jeffrey Kare
Peter Bloch
  • Peter Bloch
    Participant
    Topics:
    1. Predictions for 2019 Tony Nominations -Best Musical and Play 

<i><b>Musical</b></i>

The Girl From the North Country?

Ain’t too proud to beg

Hadetown?

Tootsie ?

Play 

1)The Ferryman

2) Network

3) To Kill A Mockingbird

4) Choir boy

5) American Son

6) and/or Gary Titus –Taylor Mac Play

Best Actor in a Play

Bryan Cranston

Jeff Daniels

Paddy Considine

Best Actor in a Musical

Santino Fontana

• This topic was modified 2 months ago by  Peter Bloch.
    • This topic was modified 1 month, 4 weeks ago by  Peter Bloch.
    • This topic was modified 1 month, 4 weeks ago by  Peter Bloch.
    • This topic was modified 1 week, 6 days ago by  Peter Bloch.
    • This topic was modified 5 days, 1 hour ago by  Peter Bloch. Reason: update with suggestions/info based on reviews and word of mouth
    Jeffrey Kare
    Participant
    Topics:

I don’t like to start making predictions at this point in the season because we really don’t know how the rest of it will turn out yet. It also hasn’t even been confirmed if Girl From the North Country will transfer yet.

ReplyCopy URL
    Awardsfan1990
    Participant
    Topics:

Same goes for Hadestown.

ReplyCopy URL
    Peter Bloch
    Participant
    Topics:

Hi Jeffrey,

I agree with you that is way too early to predict. I don’t think any of the musicals that are slated thus far are too promising. However Superhero – Tom Kitt/John Morgan and Secret Lives of Bees -Duncan Sheik/Lynn Nottage have great potential and could transfer. I think I was trying to guage what shows people like.  I saw The Ferryman last week and it was brilliant – one of the best plays I’ve seen in years.

ReplyCopy URL
    Peter Bloch
    Participant
    Topics:

The two best plays I’ve seen thus far – THE FERRYMAN and the revival of

THE WAVERLY GALLERY. Both plays are the best I’ve seen in many years. Go now while rush tix are readily available –or use their Playbill discount codes.

ReplyCopy URL
    Awardsfan1990
    Participant
    Topics:

I haven’t heard anything about Superhero. But The Secret Life Of Bees isn’t going to be appearing on Broadway this season. It’s scheduled to have a run Off-Broadway with the Atlantic Theater Company from May 10-June 23. So, at the very least, it’s not appearing on Broadway until at least the 2019-2020 season, if it’s lucky. Reception to its Off-Broadway run will determine where it goes from there.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by  Alex Meyer.
    ReplyCopy URL
    KarlVillalobos
    Participant
    Topics:

Pretty Woman?

ReplyCopy URL
    Jeffrey Kare
    Participant
    Topics:

Pretty Woman did not get great reviews, so I don’t really see that being much of a contender. Though I could see Samantha Barks receiving a Lead Actress nomination depending on how competition in that category turns out.

ReplyCopy URL
    Awardsfan1990
    Participant
    Topics:

Pretty Woman will probably be a big contender at the Broadway.com Audience Choice Awards due to nostalgia for the original film and Samantha Barks and Andy Karl’s popularity amongst millennial and Generation Z theatergoers, since those groups are probably the vast majority that vote for those awards anyway. But for the main theater awards that are voted on by actual theater professionals, no, it has no chance.

ReplyCopy URL
    Xander Cassel
    Participant
    Topics:

There are a lot of great musicals currently running Off-Broadway and Off-Off-Broadway that would make this year a great competition–HadestownThe Girl from the North Country, Beetlejuice. . .they would all make great Best Musical contenders if they hit Broadway soon enough.

ReplyCopy URL
    Awardsfan1990
    Participant
    Topics:

Beetlejuice has been confirmed to open at the Winter Garden Theatre in April, after School Of Rock closes in January. Girl From The North Country has not been officially confirmed for a Broadway run, but rumors are floating around that it may open at the Walter Kerr Theatre after Springsteen On Broadway closes in December. Nothing’s been said yet about Hadestown. We’ll have to see how it does with critics for its London run. If it’s a success, the only issue for Broadway will be which theaters are available and if any of them are a good fit.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.