Home Forums Theater Tony Awards 2020 Nominations (Predictions Center Now Active)

Tony Awards 2020 Nominations (Predictions Center Now Active)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 52 total)
Created
4 months ago
Last Reply
3 months ago
replies
views
users
Jeffrey Kare
adamunc
LA guy
  • Profile picture
    Chris Beachum
    Topics:

Make your nominee predictions in the newly-opened 2020 Tony Awards event!

Profile picture
    adamunc
    Topics:

Marc Shaiman has written music for Plaza Suite that will likely be eligible for Original Score, so that should probably be added to the predictions center.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Jeffrey Kare
    Topics:

Why are there six slots in the predictions center for Best Lead Actress in a Play?

EDIT: The sixth slot is now gone.

• This reply was modified 3 months, 4 weeks ago by Jeffrey Kare.
    ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Kevin Klawitter
    Topics:

It always seems to be a tough category, but Best Actress in a Musical is going to be a bloodbath this year. Adrienne Warren, Karen Olivo, Mare Winningham, Sharon D. Clark, Shereen Pimentel, Katrina Lenk, Carmen Cusack, Elizabeth Stanley, even Jeanna de Waal. All of them could be nominated and I could see a path to the win for about 80% of them.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Jeffrey Kare
    Topics:

Having done some research, the role of Sergeant Vernon C. Waters in A Soldier’s Play has usually competed in featured. Adolph Caesar won the Drama Desk Award for Best Featured Actor in a Play for the original production and received an Oscar nomination for Best Supporting Actor for the 1984 film adaptation titled A Soldier’s Story. So therefore, David Alan Grier should be in Best Featured Actor in a Play, not Lead.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    FreemanGriffin
    Topics:

It was fun making wild guesses predictions! I know I will change them once we get through April! I must admit I am not all that excited by this year’s potential nominees though.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    thatnerdgreg
    Topics:

It always seems to be a tough category, but Best Actress in a Musical is going to be a bloodbath this year. Adrienne Warren, Karen Olivo, Mare Winningham, Sharon D. Clark, Shereen Pimentel, Katrina Lenk, Carmen Cusack, Elizabeth Stanley, even Jeanna de Waal. All of them could be nominated and I could see a path to the win for about 80% of them.

It wasn’t a super tough category last year, there were barely any contenders then.

Right now I think it’s between Sharon D. Clark and Katrina Lenk, and I’m gonna give the edge to Clark. Given we currently know very little about her show, and Carmen Cusack is a great performer, I could see her possibly in play for the win as well.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    thatnerdgreg
    Topics:

It was fun making wild guesses predictions! I know I will change them once we get through April! I must admit I am not all that excited by this year’s potential nominees though.

Yeah, it’s really not all that busy on either side right now.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Chris Beachum
    Topics:

Having done some research, the role of Sergeant Vernon C. Waters in A Soldier’s Play has usually competed in featured. Adolph Caesar won the Drama Desk Award for Best Featured Actor in a Play for the original production and received an Oscar nomination for Best Supporting Actor for the 1984 film adaptation titled A Soldier’s Story. So therefore, David Alan Grier should be in Best Featured Actor in a Play, not Lead.

Every placement is based on what we have right now and the excellent work by our own Sam Eckmann. If anything changes officially, we will then make updates in the event.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Jeffrey Kare
    Topics:

Right now I think it’s between Sharon D. Clark and Katrina Lenk, and I’m gonna give the edge to Clark. Given we currently know very little about her show, and Carmen Cusack is a great performer, I could see her possibly in play for the win as well.

I agree. There is especially an I.O.U. to the character of Caroline Thibodeaux in Caroline, or Change because Tonya Pinkins was the odds on favorite to win Lead Actress in a Musical for the original production in 2004, yet Idina Menzel pulled off an upset in that category for Wicked. Plus, Sharon D. Clarke did win the Olivier Award for her performance in the West End production last year over Rosalie Craig as Bobbie in Company and Adrienne Warren as Tina Turner.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Sam Eckmann
    Topics:

Jeffrey, it is absolutely a strong possibility that Roundabout will petition David Alan Grier for Featured Actor. However, not only is he billed above the title, he has first billing ahead of Blair Underwood. So it was decided to keep him in Lead for now, according to his billing (it’s a sizable role and you could make an argument for either category). Should he be moved to Featured in the next round of eligibility rulings, then his place in the prediction center will change too!

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Jeffrey Kare
    Topics:

Fair enough.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Anton Spivack
    Topics:

I think the Best Score nominees will be Flying Over Sunset, The Lightning Thief, Mrs. Doubtfire and Six. Diana isn’t doing too well.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Jeffrey Kare
    Topics:

There may be five original musical scores on Broadway this season, but there are a lot more plays with incidental music. Therefore, there’s likely going to be five Tony nominees for Best Original Score this year. The lineup I currently have predicted includes Diana, Flying Over Sunset, The Inheritance, Mrs. Doubtfire, and Six.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Awardsfan1990
    Topics:

Diana was ripped apart by critics in its California run, and I can’t imagine it doing any better on Broadway. I think its only nomination will be for William Ivey Long’s costumes, because Princess Diana was one of the greatest fashion icons of all time. But then again, maybe nominators will say “Screw the critics!” like they did with Beetlejuice last year, so who knows.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 52 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.