Home Forums Theater Tony Awards 2020 Nominations (Predictions Center Now Active)

Tony Awards 2020 Nominations (Predictions Center Now Active)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 52 total)
Created
4 weeks ago
Last Reply
7 days ago
replies
views
users
Jeffrey Kare
adamunc
LA guy
  • Jeffrey Kare
    Participant
    Topics:

Or maybe Diana will show up in more categories that necessary as filler like Beetlejuice last year. That’s partly why I’m currently predicting the former show to receive a Best Score nomination kind of as a placeholder. Not to mention that it does have the cache of being written by the Tony-winning team behind Memphis. Then again, I could see this year being one of those instances where two play scores get nominated due to a lack of well-regarded musical scores.

ReplyCopy URL
    Awardsfan1990
    Participant
    Topics:

One thing’s for sure: I am NOT predicting Amar Ramasar for West Side Story. Even though I technically haven’t seen the show, I think based on his personal actions, he should not be nominated. Otherwise, I’m going to add him to the list here. https://www.goldderby.com/forum/theater/most-baffling-and-or-infuriating-tony-nominations/

ReplyCopy URL
    Jeffrey Kare
    Participant
    Topics:

Even if Amar Ramasar didn’t have these personal actions from his past, I still doubt he’d have much of a shot at a nomination. While George Chakiris did win the Oscar for playing Bernardo in the 1961 film adaptation of West Side Story, the role itself has never even been nominated by the Tonys. Although the current Broadway revival does use the movie’s interpretation of the song ‘America’ by including the Shark boys along with the girls (which might’ve been what helped Chakiris win the Oscar), I think Isaac Powell, Shereen Pimentel, and Yesenia Ayala are much more likely to receive acting nominations than Amar.

ReplyCopy URL
    adamunc
    Participant
    Topics:

With the shutdown of Broadway likely imminent, should the American Theatre Wing consider suspending the 2020 Tony Awards and extending eligibility out to April 2021 and having the next ceremony in June of that year?

Drastic times, uncharted waters.

ReplyCopy URL
    Jeffrey Kare
    Participant
    Topics:

Or they could cancel the ceremony and instead do a conference like the Golden Globes did one year during the writers’ strike.

ReplyCopy URL
    adamunc
    Participant
    Topics:

We may never get to see a large percentage of this season’s planned shows. Given the limited number of viable candidates currently eligible in many categories, any winners would always have an asterisk by their wins. It’s almost like they would win by default. Though it would probably be great news for Moulin Rouge!

There’s also the logistical piece of a very limited number of voters and nominators having seen the eligible candidates.

I know the Broadway League is trying to keep things open, but with epidemiologists recommending social distancing, major sports organizations cancelling games and many cities banning public gatherings, it just seems irresponsible to continue operating right now.

ReplyCopy URL
    Jeffrey Kare
    Participant
    Topics:

In response to the coronavirus, the mayor of New York City, Bill de Blasio, said to CNN today that “I don’t want to see Broadway go dark if we can avoid it. I want to see if we can strike some kind of balance. What we’re trying to figure out: is there a way to reduce the capacity, reduce the number of people? If we cannot strike that balance, of course, we can go to closure.”
    https://deadline.com/2020/03/broadway-coronavirus-guidelines-coming-new-york-mayor-bill-de-blasio-1202880828/

ReplyCopy URL
    adamunc
    Participant
    Topics:

My question for the mayor is, what exactly is the “safe” number of people to gather and how did you derive that? My work is currently prohibiting gatherings of more than 50 people. I’m not sure what it is about that 51st person that pushes things over the tipping point. It makes no sense.

ReplyCopy URL
    vinny
    Participant
    Topics:

My question for the mayor is, what exactly is the “safe” number of people to gather and how did you derive that? My work is currently prohibiting gatherings of more than 50 people. I’m not sure what it is about that 51st person that pushes things over the tipping point. It makes no sense.

I can actually answer that since I live in NY. They always throw out two numbers at us like we know how many seats are in a restaurant/movie theather/whatever: 1)200 or more and 2)150. Oh and we r to avoid crowded subway cars……ITS NYC THEY ALL ARE CROWDED.

• This reply was modified 3 weeks ago by  vinny.
    • This reply was modified 3 weeks ago by  vinny.
    ReplyCopy URL
    CuriousHedgehog
    Participant
    Topics:

With the closure of broadway impacting several opening shows, I wonder how this is going to affect the Tonys…

ReplyCopy URL
    Djoko
    Participant
    Topics:

I see Broadway being closed longer than the April 12th date they gave. If that is the case, they will either postpone it for a couple months or cancel it altogether.

ReplyCopy URL
    Jeffrey Kare
    Participant
    Topics:

If I were in charge of the Tonys, I would at least look into postponing the awards for a month or two.

ReplyCopy URL
    Awardsfan1990
    Participant
    Topics:

I imagine we’ll see the Tonys postponed until July or August. The only other time an award show did something like this in recent memory was the Emmys back in 2001, when due to 9/11, the ceremony was pushed from September to October, and then from October to November following the invasion of Afghanistan.

ReplyCopy URL
    Djoko
    Participant
    Topics:

If I were in charge of the Tonys, I would at least look into postponing the awards for a month or two.

This is all dependent upon the fact that shows get to open. If the stoppage lasts longer than a month, which is very feasible, then it looks like some may not make it to Broadway or others will have to close. Postponing them a month or two doesn’t seem to be enough. If Six, Flying Over Sunset, and Mrs. Doubtfire can’t open because of this then would you really want Best Musical to go to Moulin Rouge or Girl from the North Country just by default? It cheapens the award.

ReplyCopy URL
    Nate
    Participant
    Topics:

Personally, I hope that the show still goes on in June. Honestly, this season felt relatively lackluster to me anyway and wasn’t personally anticipating any new productions to really shake things up. I also hope that this may serve as a wakeup call to producers stacking so many productions at the end of the season, when it’s been proven several times in recent years that shows that open earlier in the season can still be remembered come Tony time.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 52 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.