Home Forums Theater Tony Awards 2020 Nominations (Predictions Center Now Active)

Tony Awards 2020 Nominations (Predictions Center Now Active)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 52 total)
Created
4 weeks ago
Last Reply
7 days ago
replies
views
users
Jeffrey Kare
adamunc
LA guy
  • Atypical
    Participant
    Topics:

2 years of eligibility in 2021 seems like the fairest option. The April shows deserve a legitimate shot at finding their audiences and recouping their costs. I doubt that people are going to be comfortable gathering in large numbers again for a significant amount of time. Postponing the show to later in the year or stopping eligibility now would cause this year’s winners to have asterisks by their names in the history books, and no one wants that.

ReplyCopy URL
    Awardsfan1990
    Participant
    Topics:

The only problem with that is that lots of people/shows could get snubbed if they keep it at only 5 nominees per category. They’d have to expand the number of nominees to 10 or so per category in order to be fair like that. I personally think delaying the ceremony for a month or two is the best way to go. It worked for the Emmys in 2001 following 9/11 and the invasion of Afghanistan, so I don’t see how the same can’t work for the Tonys this year.

ReplyCopy URL
    Atypical
    Participant
    Topics:

The categories will just be more competitive with the best of crop ending up as the nominees. I wouldn’t increase the nomination slots at all.

ReplyCopy URL
    Anton Spivack
    Participant
    Topics:

I don’t think cancelling the 2020 Tonys and allowing the 2021 Tonys to cover the past two years would be the best option either, since if that had been done before, a lot of shows would have to compete against shows from another season and lose awards they would otherwise win. As long as all the new musicals can open before the cutoff date there shouldn’t be a change.

ReplyCopy URL
    adamunc
    Participant
    Topics:

It really does not seem at this point as though the rest of the season is going to happen. I think the 2020 Tonys are toast.

ReplyCopy URL
    Djoko
    Participant
    Topics:

People need to be realistic. The stoppage is going to last longer than just a month. The outbreak is only going to get worse not better – at least in the short term. If they want to have a competitive Tonys then they’ll have to postpone them for much longer than a couple of months. Or, as Atypical said, combine two years worth of shows. People may whine about this, but they need to get over it. These are tough times and if Moulin Rouge or Girl from North Country win because all the other shows couldn’t open then it’s worse for the Tonys and its credibility.

ReplyCopy URL
    FreemanGriffin
    Participant
    Topics:

So what if they postpone the Tonys to October and have the end of eligiblity in September? Could that work?

ReplyCopy URL
    adamunc
    Participant
    Topics:

I don’t think it’s realistic to believe there will be any significant recovery for new shows on Broadway by the fall. If you believe the speculation yesterday that we may be looking at July or August before we can think about going back to pre-virus activities, a fall season is likely to be minimal at the very best. Financing is going to fall through, actors and creatives will be unavailable… the ramp-up won’t be like just picking up where we left off.

ReplyCopy URL
    Jeffrey Kare
    Participant
    Topics:
    Participant
    Topics:

I didn’t know where to put this so I’m putting this in here. I got 31 in 4 minutes. Great buzzfeed game to name all the Broadway musicals: https://www.buzzfeed.com/audreyworboys/broadway-musical-typey-game

ReplyCopy URL
    Anton Spivack
    Participant
    Topics:

I got 32, however I wasn’t credited for Grind, Starmites, Ballroom or Merlin. I’m sure there have been a lor more than 324 Broadway musicals in history. And they included Oh! Calcutta!, which really wasn’t a musical, and Andrew Lippa’s The Wild Party, which was Off-Broadway.

ReplyCopy URL
    Djoko
    Participant
    Topics:

With Flying Over Sunset opening now in the Fall and I’m sure other shows will follow suit or close, I really don’t see the Tonys happening this year unless it’s way late in the year. Or they’ll just be greedy and honor subpar shows.

ReplyCopy URL
    thatnerdgreg
    Participant
    Topics:

I didn’t know where to put this so I’m putting this in here. I got 31 in 4 minutes. Great buzzfeed game to name all the Broadway musicals: https://www.buzzfeed.com/audreyworboys/broadway-musical-typey-game

Fun game. I got 41

ReplyCopy URL
    Rich Landry
    Participant
    Topics:
    Participant
    Topics:

As I’ve been saying. It’s good to listen to me.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 52 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.