Home Forums Theater Tony Awards 2020 Nominations (Predictions Center Now Active)

Tony Awards 2020 Nominations (Predictions Center Now Active)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 7 posts - 46 through 52 (of 52 total)
Created
3 weeks ago
Last Reply
4 days ago
replies
views
users
Jeffrey Kare
adamunc
LA guy
  • Awardsfan1990
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m surprised the Lucille Lortel, Outer Critics Circle, Drama Desk, Obie Awards etc. haven’t made similar announcements yet. But I suppose it’s only a matter of time.

ReplyCopy URL
    Jeffrey Kare
    Participant
    Topics:

Though just two minutes later, you posted the news of the Outer Critics Circle Awards getting postponed elsewhere.

ReplyCopy URL
    Awardsfan1990
    Participant
    Topics:

That’s because I hadn’t seen the news until I literally made that comment.

ReplyCopy URL
    Djoko
    Participant
    Topics:

The pre-Tony Awards were probably just waiting for the Tonys to decide what they were going to do before making their own decision.

ReplyCopy URL
    Sam Eckmann
    Keymaster
    Topics:

I have to wonder if they will keep the same season cutoff or push it back. If for instance, Broadway opens back up in late June and postponed shows from the spring start opening in summer or September. Might the Tonys extend the 2019-2020 season and say the cutoff is now the beginning of September? Some shows like “Flying Over Sunset” might still end up in this season after all.

All just conjecture at this point of course, as news and information changes by the hour with this outbreak. So don’t expect announcements like that anytime soon. But if shows are to start opening around September, they could certainly use the advertising push of the Tonys, since the theatre industry is taking a massive financial hit, like so many industries. It may make sense to move the eligibility date back once they have a better picture of where this health crisis is headed.

ReplyCopy URL
    adamunc
    Participant
    Topics:

If they push it back too far, it makes for a very shortened 2021 season, unless they just end up moving eligibility permanently. And that doesn’t seem like good business since the Tonys basically own the spring awards season and it’s a nice boost for the summer tourist dollars.

If we don’t end up able to have much of a fall season, I think they would be better off to just have a two-year eligibility period with the next awards in June 2021. But, as Dr. Fauci says, the virus will determine the timetable.

ReplyCopy URL
    Sam Eckmann
    Keymaster
    Topics:

I doubt a two year eligibility period is enticing to them.

On its surface, yes this would mean it eats into the 20-21 season. BUT it is going to take a loooong time for the theatre industry to recover from this pandemic. Its dire out here. There will be plenty of theater organizations that do not survive this. And when the dust settles and life goes back to “normal” people will 1.) have lost money during this period and not have as much disposable income for theater. and 2.) still be hesitant/scared to be in crowded places for some time.

SO Broadway is going to need a serious advertising boost. And the Tonys are exactly that. Yes, awards will be given out, but it will also be a celebration of Broadway and the persistence of these artists. We have already seen postponements of summer shows like MJ and Once Upon a One More Time, so the fall may be thinner than you think after producers access the financial damage of this period. The Tonys might end up looking different, but they will def do everything in their power to have these in the fall, to celebrate Broadway and hopefully drive people to the box office.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 7 posts - 46 through 52 (of 52 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.