Home Forums Theater Very early Tony Nominations 2020 predictions

Very early Tony Nominations 2020 predictions

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
Created
3 weeks ago
Last Reply
4 days ago
replies
views
users
Jeffrey Kare
Alex Meyer
adamunc
  • Peter Bloch
    Participant
    Topics:

Best Musical

Girl from the North Country

Jagged Little Pill

Moulin Rouge * (predicted winner)

Six

Tina

The Wrong Man (if it transfers)

Best Play

The Great Society

The Height of the Storm

The Inheritance  * (predicted winner)

The Minutes

Slave Play

• This topic was modified 2 weeks, 4 days ago by  Peter Bloch.
    • This topic was modified 2 weeks, 3 days ago by  Peter Bloch.
    • This topic was modified 1 week, 5 days ago by  Peter Bloch.
    Jeffrey Kare
    Participant
    Topics:

I don’t like to make predictions this early, but as of now, I think the race for Best Musical will be between Girl From the North Country and Six. Both of those shows will end up having more snob appeal for several reasons. The other three other new musicals that have already been announced for this season are big jukebox/commodity musicals, and we know how much the industry has been against them in recent years. While Girl From the North Country is a jukebox musical too, I’ve heard it’s suppose to be doing something completely different with the genre. If that ends up winning, it would definitely fit into the mold of recent Tony champions that have really been pushing the boundaries of musical theatre. Though I could see Six being competitive given that it is currently the only new musical this season to have a completely original score.

ReplyCopy URL
    Awardsfan1990
    Participant
    Topics:

One thing that could hurt Six though is that some Tony voters may think it’s trying too hard to be the next Hamilton.

ReplyCopy URL
    Jeffrey Kare
    Participant
    Topics:

^I highly doubt that. While I obviously haven’t seen Six, from what I’ve heard, it’s suppose to be completely different from Hamilton.

ReplyCopy URL
    adamunc
    Participant
    Topics:

They do both use actors of varied ethnicities to retell history using modern musical styles. Beyond that, though, I don’t think anyone would mistake one for the other.

ReplyCopy URL
    Awardsfan1990
    Participant
    Topics:

When it comes to category placements though, will all six actresses of Six be submitted as featured, or will one of them, perhaps the one playing Catherine of Aragon and/or Anne Boleyn (who are undoubtedly Henry VIII’s most well-known wives), go lead? That’s what I’m most curious about.

ReplyCopy URL
    Jeffrey Kare
    Participant
    Topics:

^Me too. It’s especially worth noting that the cast of the West End production all earned Olivier nominations in one slot for Best Supporting Actress in a Musical.

ReplyCopy URL
    Juanald02
    Participant
    Topics:

At this point without knowing who all the contenders will be, I’ll predict Six for Best Musical. It already has a large fan base, it’ll be running in the West End, Broadway and Australia; and being the only original score so far does not hurt its chances. Moulin Rouge, is the show i’m currently predicting to do very well in the design categories; like costumes, scenic, lighting & sound. As for the Musical revival category, we only have West Side Story confirmed, but with Company possibly transferring & rumors of either Caroline, Or Change, or Assassins for Roundabout I think this will be a good year for the category.

ReplyCopy URL
    adamunc
    Participant
    Topics:

I hope the Administration Committee wouldn’t do anything as foolish as consider the women from Six as one bundle, but they aren’t necessarily always known for consistency or logic. But staying out of Lead Actress is probably a good idea, with the Adrienne Warren juggernaut coming. Olivo got good notices, but MR! doesn’t seem like the kind of show built to get its leading actors awards. And we still don’t know who will play Bobbi in the presumed Company transfer, but some of the most credible rumors are heavy-hitters.

ReplyCopy URL
    Jeffrey Kare
    Participant
    Topics:

Two other sights unseen for Lead Actress in a Musical right now are Shereen Pimentel in West Side Story and Mare Winningham (assuming she ends up staying) in Girl From the North Country.

ReplyCopy URL
    Peter Bloch
    Participant
    Topics:

We saw Moulin Rouge in Boston last year and frankly I think that is the one to beat. It is phenomenal and although based on the film – it is innovative and original.

ReplyCopy URL
    Jeffrey Kare
    Participant
    Topics:

Our personal opinions don’t even matter. And besides, the critical response to the Broadway production of Moulin Rouge! has been mixed. I’ve mentioned this before, but it is apparently about as divisive as the movie.

ReplyCopy URL
    Djoko
    Participant
    Topics:

We saw Moulin Rouge in Boston last year and frankly I think that is the one to beat. It is phenomenal and although based on the film – it is innovative and original.

It is not innovative nor original.

ReplyCopy URL
    Peter Bloch
    Participant
    Topics:

Juan thanks for the comments. I think Assassins is confirmed for the CSC to be directed by John Doyle.

ReplyCopy URL
    Djoko
    Participant
    Topics:

If Fairview transfers it will definitely be nominated for Best Play and will be the only competition for The Inheritance. Though, there really is no competition for The Inheritance.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.