Home Forums Theater What was Tony Awards' best Best Musical winner of the 2000s?

What was Tony Awards' best Best Musical winner of the 2000s?

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
Created
3 years ago
Last Reply
3 years ago
replies
views
users
David Buchanan
Jeffrey Kare
Sam Eckmann
What was Tony Awards' best Best Musical winner of the 2000s?
Contact
The Producers
Thoroughly Modern Millie
Hairspray
Avenue Q
Monty Python's Spamalot
Jersey Boys
Spring Awakening
In the Heights
Billy Elliot the Musical
  • pacinofan
    Participant
    Topics:

I saw both “Billy Elliot” and “Next to Normal” on tour though Tony winner Alice Ripley was still in “Normal” when I saw it in L.A.. I also revisited “Billy Elliot” when it played on PBS and its flaws seemed even bigger on a second viewing. I find neither show perfect but I prefer “Normal” finding it the more interesting and emotionally engaging of the two.

ReplyCopy URL
    adamunc
    Participant
    Topics:

I’d have voted for Next to Normal as well, but what most gripes me re: Billy Elliot is the Best Actor Tony going to all three Billys. Did the voters see all three before voting? I very much doubt it. That amounts to giving the award to the role rather than the actor. So I’m glad they changed their approach when Matilda came around with the same situation.

ReplyCopy URL
    David Buchanan
    Keymaster
    Topics:

While I definitely think Next to Normal is a great musical that very much deserved the Tony for Best Original Score, it to me did not have the emotional impact Billy Elliot did.

Funny, I think Next to Normal hit me harder emotionally than Billy Elliot, but perhaps so much so that I have a hard time revisiting it. It’s such a wrenching experience, I seldom listen to the cast recording in full. Maybe if I did, it would lose some of its heft, but as it stands it still hits me like a ton of bricks when I sit down to listen to it beginning to end.

Formerly known as PianoMann.

ReplyCopy URL
    David Buchanan
    Keymaster
    Topics:

“Billy Elliott” is more mature, but Aida is more fun. And given a choice I would much rather listen to Aida’s score and hear Heather Headley and Sherie Renee belt their faces off. And its style allows Elton to rock out more, which is the version of Elton I like best. (also also: somewhere on the internets exists footage of high school me doing my best disney villain as Zoser. Also also: somewhere on the internets exists me singing ‘A Step too Far’ in a wig with strangers on fire island. Aida for the win)…

I wholeheartedly agree, Sam! 99 times out of 100, I’d choose to listen to Aida over Billy Elliot. It’s actually one of my favorite contemporary scores, although I always wish the orchestrations weren’t as anachronistic; I’d love them to drop the synth and wailing electric guitars. If they ever revive the show (with Cynthia Erivo as Aida, please), I’d love to see them try a more traditional approach with the orchestrations and maybe have Elton revisit some of the songs. Funny enough, I played Radames in high school!

ReplyCopy URL
    Sam Eckmann
    Keymaster
    Topics:

Funny, I think Next to Normal hit me harder emotionally than Billy Elliot, but perhaps so much so that I have a hard time revisiting it. It’s such a wrenching experience, I seldom listen to the cast recording in full. Maybe if I did, it would lose some of its heft, but as it stands it still hits me like a ton of bricks when I sit down to listen to it beginning to end.

I dont think ANY musical has hit me emotionally like N2N. Maybe come to my one man show, David. Itll be a great reintroduction to the score and (probably) far less gut wrenching.

In any case Im thrilled that Ive derailed this discussion into a “Next to Normal” discussion…though it seems like the N2N vs BE Tony race always becomes the central focus when asked this question. Because it should have won! 😉

#imissthemountains

ReplyCopy URL
    David Buchanan
    Keymaster
    Topics:

I dont think ANY musical has hit me emotionally like N2N. Maybe come to my one man show, David. Itll be a great reintroduction to the score and (probably) far less gut wrenching.

I’ll be there, let’s plan it! haha

ReplyCopy URL
    Sam Eckmann
    Keymaster
    Topics:

I wholeheartedly agree, Sam! 99 times out of 100, I’d choose to listen to Aida over Billy Elliot. It’s actually one of my favorite contemporary scores, although I always wish the orchestrations weren’t as anachronistic; I’d love them to drop the synth and wailing electric guitars. If they ever revive the show (with Cynthia Erivo as Aida, please), I’d love to see them try a more traditional approach with the orchestrations and maybe have Elton revisit some of the songs. Funny enough, I played Radames in high school!

DAVID! WHAT! We should obviously recreate our high school productions together. How have we not discussed this before?

And Cynthia Erivo as Aida is the best idea Ive heard all day. I want a revival now.

ReplyCopy URL
    Jeffrey Kare
    Participant
    Topics:

I have long held a V. important and V. angry (read: v. irrational) grudge against “Billy Elliot” for the sole reason it beat “Next to Normal”. John Benutty has “Carol,” I have “Next to Normal. ” I mean, there’s nothing wrong with Billy Elliot and its an incredibly well crafted musical. But I liked N2N so much I would have given it Best Revival of a Play just to up its Tony Award count.

I think the tough subject matter of Next to Normal might’ve been too much for (some) Tony voters to want to rally behind more than Billy Elliot.

By the way, a friend of mine actually sort of has a grudge against The Lion King, only because it beat her all time favorite musical, Ragtime for the Tony.

ReplyCopy URL
    pacinofan
    Participant
    Topics:

I have long held a V. important and V. angry (read: v. irrational) grudge against “Billy Elliot” for the sole reason it beat “Next to Normal”. John Benutty has “Carol,” I have “Next to Normal. ” I mean, there’s nothing wrong with Billy Elliot and its an incredibly well crafted musical. But I liked N2N so much I would have given it Best Revival of a Play just to up its Tony Award count.

I think the tough subject matter of Next to Normal might’ve been too much for (some) Tony voters to want to rally behind more than Billy Elliot.

By the way, a friend of mine actually sort of has a grudge against The Lion King, only because it beat her all time favorite musical, Ragtime for the Tony.

I don’t bear any grudge against “The Lion King” but even after seeing it on stage twice I still think “Ragtime” is better in almost every way.

ReplyCopy URL
    FreemanGriffin
    Participant
    Topics:

Participating in this poll made me realize that my 5 favorite Broadway musicals of the 2000’s were all Tony LOSERS: Next To Normal, The Drowsy Chaperone, The Light in the Piazza, The Boy From Oz and Swing!

I voted for In the Heights, the one I most enjoyed of the 10 winners.

ReplyCopy URL
    David Buchanan
    Keymaster
    Topics:

I wholeheartedly agree, Sam! 99 times out of 100, I’d choose to listen to Aida over Billy Elliot. It’s actually one of my favorite contemporary scores, although I always wish the orchestrations weren’t as anachronistic; I’d love them to drop the synth and wailing electric guitars. If they ever revive the show (with Cynthia Erivo as Aida, please), I’d love to see them try a more traditional approach with the orchestrations and maybe have Elton revisit some of the songs. Funny enough, I played Radames in high school!

DAVID! WHAT! We should obviously recreate our high school productions together. How have we not discussed this before? And Cynthia Erivo as Aida is the best idea Ive heard all day. I want a revival now.

We can do “Like Father Like Son” in rep with your production of Next to Normal!

Cynthia seems so perfect to follow in Heather’s footsteps in the role, especially after their brilliant pairing in Color Purple. I so much wish Heather originated the role in the revival and reaped another Tony nom…

ReplyCopy URL
    KyleBailey
    Participant
    Topics:

The Producers is my favorite musical of all time! Love Hairspray, Spring Awakening, Jersey Boys, Spamolot, and Avenue Q too! Have not been able to see a production of any form of Next to Normal, Billy Elliot, In the Heights, Contact, and Millie

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.