Home Forums Theater Your Personal TONY Nominations Since 2000

Your Personal TONY Nominations Since 2000

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
Created
7 years ago
Last Reply
7 years ago
replies
views
users
CAROL-CHANNING
Anthony
dannyboy.
  • Irishmovielover4ever
    Participant
    Topics:

I know there is a thread for winners from the tonys but this for nominations you think should have happened. Not what was choosen.

Trent
    Topics:

The Tonys generally get it right when it comes to nominations (winners is another story). They aren’t the Emmys.

ReplyCopy URL
    Anthony
    Participant
    Topics:

This one is tough, so I will probably do select categories from different years.

BEST MUSICAL (2009)

Billy Elliot

Next To Normal

Shrek

[title of show]

—–Reasons: I replaced “Rock of Ages” with [title of show]….I feel that this show was a true love letter to the theatre fanatics and it truly spoke to many people, including me, who love doing Theatre and studying it….unfortunately, due to that, it had a limited audience and one that the Tony voters didn’t seem to be a part of. Despite closing early into that season, it still managed a nomination for Best Book but where was Best Musical or Best Score or nominations for each of the four characters?! Susan Blackwell should have WON Best Featured Actress so she definitely should have been nominated.

More to come later….

ReplyCopy URL
    BrandoObsession
    Participant
    Topics:

The Tonys generally get it right when it comes to nominations (winners is another story). They aren’t the Emmys.

I’m not so sure about that for last year….  especially in the actor/featured actor on the musical side. The latter just seemed like a mess. But I do agree, they usually nominate correctly- winners, on the other hand, are a bumbling mess. 

ReplyCopy URL
    BrandoObsession
    Participant
    Topics:

Anyway, my favorite musicals in the last decade didn’t net a win but were sure nominated:

‘The Light In The Piazza’ & ‘Next To Normal’. 

ReplyCopy URL
    Trent
    Topics:

Featured Actor in a Musical was a mess in 2011 because voters went all out on The Scottsboro Boys…only to make it the biggest loser in Tony history.

ReplyCopy URL
    CAROL-CHANNING
    Topics:

Did I miss something?  In what way were the Best Actor and Featured Actor in a Musical categories “messes” this year?

ReplyCopy URL
    dannyboy.
    Participant
    Topics:

I have heard the score from Scottsboro but didn’t actually get to see it. I know it financially bombed but I was quite surprised by the score.. If a bit light-hearted overall for its subject matter. I love that the Tony voters are so ballsy, they more than any other award group ‘sell-out’ the least (imo).

ReplyCopy URL
    CAROL-CHANNING
    Topics:

I was thrilled with The Scottsboro Boys getting all of the nominations it did.  It was not just the best musical to open last season, but one of the best new musicals Broadway has seen in years.

ReplyCopy URL
    adamunc
    Participant
    Topics:

I agree that the Tonys tend to do well with the nominations (of course, they have a smaller body of works to choose from). But I am a little mystified at their snubs of Daniel Radcliffe for both Equus and How to Succeed…. Admittedly, last year I’m not sure who you kick out of Best Musical Actor to make room for him–maybe Tony Sheldon? I don’t remember enough about the landscape in 2009, but I do remember that I thought Radcliffe was light years better than his co-star Richard Griffiths in Equus–who by that time was already a Tony winner for The History Boys. Perhaps the fact that the revival itself was only modestly received was the kiss of death for him.

One nominating quibble I have with the Tonys is this abysmal joint-nomination nonsense. Alice Ripley and Emily Skinner shared a joint Best Musical Actress nomination for Side Show–why can’t the show just have two female leads? Is it because their butts were sewn together? Chenoweth and Menzel were both nommed separately for Wicked and each was crucial to the other, so I don’t see the difference.

The most wretched example was the joint nomination (and win) of the Billys Elliot. Voters were not required to see all three actors in order to cast their ballots, so this was a clear example of voting for a role, not an actor. 

ReplyCopy URL
    CAROL-CHANNING
    Topics:

Replace Tony Sheldon with Daniel Radcliffe?  No way.  Tony Sheldon deserved to win, imo.  I thought it was the best performance in a musical all year.  Daniel Radcliffe was charming because he looked like he was having a lot of fun, but he was like a high schooler giving a passable performance in his school play.  In fact, I’ve seen How to Succeed… performed at high schools a number of times, and a lot of the boys I’ve seen play Finch were 1000 times better.

ReplyCopy URL
    dannyboy.
    Participant
    Topics:

I would have voted for Tony Sheldon if I was a voter.. I would have replaced the winner Norbert Leo Butz with Radcliffe (from what I have seen). Butz is great but didn’t even give the best performance in his show, let alone that category.

ReplyCopy URL
    CAROL-CHANNING
    Topics:

I would have voted for Tony Sheldon if I was a voter.. I would have replaced the winner Norbert Leo Butz with Radcliffe (from what I have seen). Butz is great but didn’t even give the best performance in his show, let alone that category.

Interesting..  Just curious, who do you think gave the best performance?  I think Butz was the only part of CMIYC that I enjoyed.

ReplyCopy URL
    dannyboy.
    Participant
    Topics:

I was first impressed by Aaron Tveit in Next to Normal and thought he handled this larger than life production as well as anyone could have (given my issues with the production which is a totally different story). Butz was great in ‘Don’t Break the Rules’.. Not sure that merits a Tony Award.

ReplyCopy URL
    CAROL-CHANNING
    Topics:

I agree about Butz really only being Tony worthy during Don’t Break the Rules.  It was the part of the show where I finally woke up.  He was good throughout the rest of the show.  Not really deserving of a Tony, though.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.