Home Forums Television 2021 Creative Arts Emmys (Late Sunday Ceremony)

2021 Creative Arts Emmys (Late Sunday Ceremony)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 286 through 300 (of 316 total)
Created
3 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
replies
views
users
Victor
Chris Beachum
Manav
  • Profile picture
    boredandricho (they/them)
    Topics:

[ lquote quote=1204456210]I can’t believe I had both Drama guest categories correct the whole time until a couple of days ago when I was dumb enough to switch [/quote]

please same!! i literally changed it friday night…
    also #496 lol

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Mukund
    Topics:

These Cherry Jones comparisons are 💀

Even a mere minute of portraying Elizabeth requires much more from Foy than whatever Jones did in her submission. There is more thought and effort put into it than simply ‘reading a speech’.

The work is there in the voice modulation to portray the younger Elizabeth’s sharper tone. It’s in her body language and the composure she brings with it. It’s there in the little hints of her fluttering nervousness during the speech and in the immediate switch from calm regality to giddy relief when she finishes the same.

I’d think after witnessing Colman’s struggles, people would notice and be more appreciative of the minutely subtle things that Foy brought to the role.  Replace Foy with Colman here (or mostly anyone for that matter), and you simply do not have the same quality of work being delivered, regardless of material.

Should the academy have given the award to her? No. It isn’t a nothing performance but it isn’t enough to garner an Emmy either. Okonedo clearly should have won instead.  But I simply do not get the Cherry Jones comparisons or even the need for them, which feel weirdly vindictive anyway.

Now if one can actually argue that any actress couldn’t do what Jones did or the latter actually brought something to that performance as an individual, then good. But if not, I’d suggest we put a stop to these false equivalencies born simply out of comparing screentime.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

So who’s excited for the TV academy to pretend like there are only three good shows on TV next week?

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Jack
    Topics:

Claire Foy – Cherry Jones – Margo Martindale were name checked. At least Claire Foy was a guilty pleasure to watch

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Couverture
    Topics:

These Cherry Jones comparisons are 💀

Even a mere minute of portraying Elizabeth requires much more from Foy than whatever Jones did in her submission. There is more thought and effort put into it than simply ‘reading a speech’.

The work is there in the voice modulation to portray the younger Elizabeth’s sharper tone. It’s in her body language and the composure she brings with it. It’s there in the little hints of her fluttering nervousness during the speech and in the immediate switch from calm regality to giddy relief when she finishes the same.

I’d think after witnessing Colman’s struggles, people would notice and be more appreciative of the minutely subtle things that Foy brought to the role. Replace Foy with Colman here (or mostly anyone for that matter), and you simply do not have the same quality of work being delivered, regardless of material.

Should the academy have given the award to her? No. It isn’t a nothing performance but it isn’t enough to garner an Emmy either. Okonedo clearly should have won instead. But I simply do not get the Cherry Jones comparisons or even the need for them, which feels weirdly vindictive anyway.

Now if one can actually argue that any actress couldn’t do what Jones did or the latter actually brought something to that performance as an individual, then good. But if not, I’d suggest we put a stop to these false equivalencies born simply out of comparing screentime.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Nate
    Topics:

Late catching up, but, based on these wins, it looks like Emmy voters have longer memories than many of us often give them credit for having, as 2020 programming dominated 2021 programming for this season’s wins so far.

I am very happy that The Good Lord Bird won “all” of its nominations and hope it serves as a reminder of what the Emmys could have rewarded had it nominated it more.

Rudolph’s repeat wins were expected (at least by me), as was Chappelle’s, but Brown and Vance winning on the same day again was a pleasant surprise. And, while I was predicting Foy, I did start believing the McKenna Grace hype, so I was ultimately surprised by that as well.

Tucci’s program winning really shocked me, but maybe it is the heir apparent to Anthony Bourdain’s show. Genndy Tartakovsky’s Primal shocked me even more. While I personally preferred Oslo, Dolly Parton’s Christmas on the Square winning wasn’t that surprising to me, given Netflix didn’t have divided focus on the category this year. And I’m glad that the celeb-focused docs lost out to more substantive wide-ranging programs.

But many of us often fall into the “trap” of reading too much into these wins as predictive of the main telecast awards, which looks like it’ll have even more awards presented than usual, so I’m still hoping for an entertaining telecast.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    vinny
    Topics:

Well i at least got my 500 pointers right lol #small win

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    methaddiction
    Topics:

So who’s excited for the TV academy to pretend like there are only three good shows on TV next week?

It honestly does feel like they only watch 3 shows every year 💀 last year it was Schitt’s Creek / Watchmen / Succession

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    vinny
    Topics:

Tucci’s program winning really shocked me, but maybe it is the heir apparent to Anthony Bourdain’s show

. His show was so nice and light and just overall happy that it was undeniable. Let’s see if he can keep that up lol

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    kat_ebbs
    Topics:

. His show was so nice and light and just overall happy that it was undeniable. Let’s see if he can keep that up lol

I predicted it, I thought it was nice and really well received.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Chloe Sevigny stan <3
    Topics:

I’m sorry but Claire Foy winning is a joke.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Yves Wearn
    Topics:

I’m sorry but Claire Foy winning is a joke.

I’m sorry, but the fact that people are finding ways to justify her win over Cherry or whoever’s win just feels sad to me. There shouldn’t even be a discussion imo. She had a cameo reading a piece of paper, and that’s the fact. Just look at Okonedo, Grace and Bledel. This is just sad..

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

Claire Foy’s win is being absolutely dragged online. But part of me is like, where was this “backlash” when Martindale won back-to-back in 2015 and 2016? I do think they need to find a way to fix these guest categories because they’re just so messy. They should be juried if the majority of voters doesn’t care about them.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Atypical
    Topics:

I can’t speak to what Twitter was doing back then, but I know that GD scorched the EARTH over Martindale’s nonsense cameo Emmy wins.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Manav
    Topics:

But many of us often fall into the “trap” of reading too much into these wins as predictive of the main telecast awards, which looks like it’ll have even more awards presented than usual, so I’m still hoping for an entertaining telecast.

This happens every year. The Creative Arts gives us many Illusions which ultimately brings pleasant surprise and excitement to the main telecast.

ReplyCopy URL
    Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 286 through 300 (of 316 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.