Home Forums Television 2021 Creative Arts Emmys (Saturday Ceremony)

2021 Creative Arts Emmys (Saturday Ceremony)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 256 through 270 (of 281 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
Chris Beachum
Luca
  • Profile picture
    eastwest
    Topics:

I’m a flop 😩. These musty predictions 🙃. And completely random, I only associated opening credits with being eligible for this category. I need to go to bed.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    hopelesstar
    Topics:

Anyone else wondering if Ted Lasso can directing now? I know it’s rare for shows with 3 nominations to win but TFA seems like a weak front runner and Hacks I have no idea what to do because it always felt like the praise for that show was based more on the writing..

To be fair TFA was already snubbed at the editing guild and still won DGA. It seems like it’s just not something editors liked

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    forwardswill
    Topics:

Lol did anyone else get so wrapped up in Oscar season that they forgot these were this weekend?

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Stranger Among Us
    Topics:

Lol did anyone else get so wrapped up in Oscar season that they forgot these were this weekend?

Raises hand

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    abelfenty
    Topics:

The Queen’s Gambit doing an an almost clean sweep – as it should. So much for it being “old news”. It’s locked for Series and the Kate Winslet delusions will end later today when TQG wins Casting.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

People do realize that actors don’t vote for casting, right?

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Manav
    Topics:

It’s crazy that a tech sweep has resulted in people switching from Kate Winslet to Anya Taylor Joy  when both the voting blocs have “NO OVERLAP”.

Actors vote for Actors.

The Crown lost a few today but Pose won a few. Does that necessarily mean MJ Rodriguez is winning over Emma Corrin? No.

Does THT losing Production Design (it’s forté)  mean it’ll definitely lose Guest Actress? No.

Does The Queen’s Gambit sweeping mean Kate Winslet and Evan Peters will lose to Anya Taylor-Joy or Thomas Brodie Sangster? No.

Does WandaVision’s disappointing performance mean Hahn is losing? No.

——-Chernobyl Swept Tech Awards but still lost all its acting awards. When They See Us had a poor tech perfomance but it won for its Lead and was strong is Supporting actor.——–

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

Yeah, people have jumped to conclusions way too quickly. Context seems to have taken a back seat completely, seeing as some people on Twitter think Pose’s three wins mean it’s competitive for the win in the big categories like series and directing.

I will say that I understand why people would now switch to ATJ. If Queen’s is gonna win series, which it will, it’ll be strange if the Queen herself doesn’t win along with it. Of course Kate’s passion could outweigh ATJ’s, but I have become skeptical.

I have also seen suggestions that Ted overcoming vote-splitting in editing means it can do so in directing. I agree, but would also point out that something like Watchmen overcame vote-splitting in editing last year but still couldn’t do the same in directing. It remains exciting.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Eden
    Topics:

The Queen’s Gambit and Mare of Easttown were the only two frontrunners in both Series and Actress since nominations morning, or at least that’s how I saw it.

I’ve had Page and Rodriguez as placeholders since the predictions center opened and I was waiting for the Creative Arts to give me signs if they had any legs, even though I wasn’t expecting anything since it’s a matter of different branches. Still, Pose winning big is significant. Support from a few branches could potentially mean general support from voters. And it won against established names. On the other hand, Bridgerton winning hairstyling over The Crown isn’t really a big deal.

I’ve said how big The Crown getting its first Editing nomination is, and now it won the category despite internal competition. Casting is a given, but I’d say it’s also prone to a surprise since Gold isn’t on the ballot. A long shot, but still.

A Black Lady Sketch Show winning Editing is the big surprise of the night for me. Now I’m hyped it has a chance against SNL in Variety Sketch Series, but it probably has a better shot at taking Writing from Last Week Tonight.

Worth noting is that Ted Lasso won Editing despite internal competition, which hasn’t happened in this category since 2015. Most notably, Schitt’s Creek‘s double episodes lost to Insecure last year.

Edit: I forgot to mention the comparison between The Queen’s Gambit and Chernobyl . I usually don’t like comparing shows like this, but as a non-American, both shows were huge worldwide. And I mean huge. A limited series is particularly hard to become a thing worldwide, but I still remember how big of a phenomenon Chernobyl was.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

I’ve had Page and Rodriguez as placeholders

I am sorry if you’ve already explained this, but what’s your argument for Page? Because I currently have O’Connor and Rodriguez, which feels so wrong. Page and Rodriguez makes so much more sense, if I think about it.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    estrelas
    Topics:

From the moment, The Crown managed to overcome a vote split in a category it has never been nominated before, completely kills the underperformance arguments. Also, it won Cinematography. It lost Costumes to The Queen’s Gambit. So what? It lost at the guilds too. The Queen’s Gambit just happened to be more popular. But The Crown didn’t underperform. If any show tanked last night, it was clearly WandaVision.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Eden
    Topics:

Page always fit with this theory of ours of a first season Lead Actor winner, plus he’s huge, so I put him first by default. I was certain I would go back to O’Connor and Corrin. But then Rodriguez gained buzz and now I can’t make sense of a logical winning pair. I doubt Porter is happening again and O’Connor and Rodriguez don’t make sense. I still have a week to ponder on this.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Couverture
    Topics:

Regarding The Crown discussion earlier, it losing costumes to TQG is similar to Chernobyl winning production design over GoT. It isn’t indicative of anything about the drama races. A new big showy contender winning stuff that an old big showy contender had won multiple times in the past is not bad news for the latter, especially when the categories people are saying it will be affected in are completely unrelated lol.

The Mandalorian losing sound editing to a weaker drama contender after winning with this group at the guilds and at the Emmys last year is more surprising to me than anything I guess. It also lost the cinematography award for the episode that won at the guild to The Crown. Lucky that it had fraudulently submitted in half hour as well otherwise that win total would be even lower chile. Still the show came out with just 3 wins after contending for 9 yesterday. And here I thought I was underestimating it by predicting just 4 💀.

I guess it is the biggest underperformance of any show so far for me, alongside WandaVision. At least the latter has the excuse of going up against the juggernaut TQG in most of the categories it lost.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Babygirl
    Topics:

I will say that I understand why people would now switch to ATJ. If Queen’s is gonna win series, which it will, it’ll be strange if the Queen herself doesn’t win along with it. Of course Kate’s passion could outweigh ATJ’s, but I have become skeptical.

As weird as it may seem for some people, I don’t think it’s that far fetched tbh. The love for TQG is bigger than ATJ, meanwhile a lot of people like Kate’s performance more than MOE as a show itself.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Couverture
    Topics:

The love for TQG is bigger than ATJ, meanwhile a lot of people like Kate’s performance more than MOE as a show itself.

Agreed about Kate but I think the support/love for Anya and TQG is on pretty equal level considering how interlinked both essentially are. You wouldn’t see anyone raving TQG without doing the same for the star the whole show revolves around.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 256 through 270 (of 281 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.