Home Forums Television 2021 Emmy Awards Episode Submissions

2021 Emmy Awards Episode Submissions

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 271 through 285 (of 611 total)
Created
3 months ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
( +4 hidden )
replies
views
users
Dominique Dev..
wolfali
Chris Beachum
  • Profile picture
    estrelas
    Topics:

OK, so if tapes matter, how did Margo Martindale win not one but two Emmys for The Americans?

The way she lost both times under the tape system for much better performances, but went on to win the year the tape system ended and for drinking tea. Also, she wouldn’t have been nominated the year she won, under the tape system.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Claire Foy wouldn’t have won over Elisabeth Moss if they did

Thank god they don’t matter then.

Oscars FYC:
    "THE POWER OF THE DOG" – IN ALL CATEGORIES
    "SPENCER" – In all categories especially Director (Pablo Larrain) and Actress (Kristen Stewart)
    "SHIVA BABY" – in all categories especially Picture, Adapted Screenplay, Score
    "TOGETHER" – Actress (Sharon Horgan), Actor (James McAvoy), Original Screenplay
    "LAST NIGHT IN SOHO" – Director (Edgar Wright), S. Actress (Anya Taylor-Joy/Diana Rigg), Cinematography, Costume Design and Production Design
    "CODA" – in all categories

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    gabspss
    Topics:

Tapes. Do. Matter. If they didn’t, the Television Academy would eliminate that rule.

They technically don’t matter if you look into the voting system with a rational point of view.

I’ll focus here on the Acting branch only, but this works for the other branches as well.

Before 2015, voters had to select between one to four panels to serve on (two related to programs and two for acting). Since they only had to vote in only 4 categories (or less), the probability of they watching all of the contenders was high. On top of all that, voters also received DVDs (or going back even more, VHS) with the episode submissions. It was all on their faces. I’m sure that even back then people would vote without watching it all, but we are looking here for general numbers and not for exact ones.

Now, after 2015, each voter in the acting branch can vote in every single category of the branch. That’s almost 20 categories! Plus the Program categories. They will look at the nominations list and see a bunch of shows that they did not watch. Some of these shows, yes, they will watch, but make no mistake, most of these voters will just vote for their favorite shows that they already watched before. I bet just a handful of voters will actually take the time to watch every single nominee. And another two important aspects to note is that: A) They have only half a month to vote in all of these categories, let’s remember that probably the majority of the voters work, so they will probably not have to time to watch 50-ish episodes of multiple shows in 2 weeks or less. B) They do not receive DVDs with only the submissions anymore; They now have access to a platform or individual screening websites where the full shows will be available to stream, not necessarily the episode submissions alone.

I hope I was able to explain you why we believe these don’t matter, but maybe you already knew all of that. If that’s the case, feel free to explain us why you do, please.

It's about the chaotic editing in Moulin Rouge!

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Chris Beachum
    Topics:

That’s all well and good, but I hear from too many voters that they do matter to some extent. They’re not going back to watch shows or episodes again, but they use the viewing portal to catch up on things they haven’t seen yet. If someone has seen 4 of the 6 people in the Drama Actress race, they could be watching the other 2 just before voting. In a tight race like that one, it could make a big difference.

Many races are not competitive with winners a foregone conclusion, so episodes would not matter at all on those. Episodes don’t matter as much as they did in other recent years when people were limited to vote in a small number of categories. And of course for many decades, groups of voters would meet in hotel conference rooms and watch everything. That’s when we really saw surprises because they were forced to see things they might not have seen otherwise.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    alittle03
    Topics:

Is there an anonymous ballot equivalent for the Emmys like there is for the Oscars? I’d love to read what voters are thinking about this year, if these ballots will be available.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Is there an anonymous ballot equivalent for the Emmys like there is for the Oscars? I’d love to read what voters are thinking about this year, if these ballots will be available.

Publications tend to release them a few weeks before the Emmys.

Although they don’t tend to be as accurate as they are for the Oscars. For example a lot of the anonymous ballots last year were voting for The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel, Brian Cox and Paul Mescal and obviously none of that happened.

Oscars FYC:
    "THE POWER OF THE DOG" – IN ALL CATEGORIES
    "SPENCER" – In all categories especially Director (Pablo Larrain) and Actress (Kristen Stewart)
    "SHIVA BABY" – in all categories especially Picture, Adapted Screenplay, Score
    "TOGETHER" – Actress (Sharon Horgan), Actor (James McAvoy), Original Screenplay
    "LAST NIGHT IN SOHO" – Director (Edgar Wright), S. Actress (Anya Taylor-Joy/Diana Rigg), Cinematography, Costume Design and Production Design

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    alittle03
    Topics:

Publications tend to release them a few weeks before the Emmys. Although they don’t tend to be as accurate as they are for the Oscars. For example a lot of the anonymous ballots last year were voting for The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel, Brian Cox and Paul Mescal and obviously none of that happened.

Interesting, I’ll keep that in mind when they start to come out; thanks so much!

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Dominique Deveraux
    Topics:

That’s all well and good, but I hear from too many voters that they do matter to some extent. If someone has seen 4 of the 6 people in the Drama Actress race, they could be watching the other 2 just before voting. In a tight race like that one, it could make a big difference.

That’s all I’m saying. Thank you, Chris!

Who am I? You'll find out soon. Ciao, for now!

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    forwardswill
    Topics:

I think tapes only come into play for contenders that voters haven’t seen any of but want to in order to cast their ballot.

That’s all well and good, but I hear from too many voters that they do matter to some extent. They’re not going back to watch shows or episodes again, but they use the viewing portal to catch up on things they haven’t seen yet. If someone has seen 4 of the 6 people in the Drama Actress race, they could be watching the other 2 just before voting. In a tight race like that one, it could make a big difference.

I feel smug and it’s not a good look on me.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Chris Beachum
    Topics:
    Jw79bull
    Topics:
    braydenfitzsimmons
    Topics:

https://www.goldderby.com/feature/jurnee-smollett-lovecraft-country-emmys-2021-episode-submission-revealed-1204355334/

She’s coming

Smollett

Oscars FYC:

"Everybody's Talking About Jamie" – Sup. Actor (Richard E. Grant), Sup. Actress (Sarah Lancashire) and Original Song (“This Was Me”)

"King Richard" – Original Song (“Be Alive”)

"Summer of Soul" – Picture, Film Editing and Documentary Feature

“The Green Knight” – in all categories

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Ryusei
    Topics:

The right choice. yup yup. Hope she can land a less messy show in the future.

FYC: Lead Actress - Alana Haim (Licorice Pizza)

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Chris Beachum
    Topics:
    Yves Wearn
    Topics:
Viewing 15 posts - 271 through 285 (of 611 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.