Home Forums Television 2021 TV Year End Top 10 Lists

2021 TV Year End Top 10 Lists

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 286 total)
Created
1 year ago
Last Reply
11 months ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
Manav
marcus_emn

• mafro987
    Topics:

The first list I’ve seen from a major publication, so I thought I’d start the annual year-end thread! Admittedly, it’s not a publication that Metacritic includes for the year-end aggregated table.

Vogue (unranked):

All Creatures Great and Small
    The Chair
    Hacks
    Halston
    Kevin Can F**K Himself
    Loki
    Maid
    Mare of Easttown
    Nine Perfect Strangers
    The North Water
    Only Murders in the Building
    Philly D.A.
    The Pursuit of Love
    Reservation Dogs
    Scenes from a Marriage
    The Serpent
    Too Close
    The Underground Railroad
    The White Lotus

After I May Destroy You’s deserved domination last year, nothing immediately stands out this year in terms of a clear favourite, which could make it more interesting. Please feel free to post any lists you see over the next few weeks.

FYC: Station Eleven in all categories

Gajo
    Topics:

Admittedly, it’s not a publication most known for TV criticism though

Halston

Nine Perfect Strangers

The Serpent

Clearly lol. Any decent publication wouldn’t have any of these near the word ‘best’.

ReplyCopy URL

forwardswill
    Topics:

Clearly lol. Any decent publication wouldn’t have any of these near the word ‘best’.

I find it refreshing. None of those would make my list but personally I think we should embrace and be excited by a diverse range of critical opinions rather than a herd mentality as to what is allowed to be considered good.

ReplyCopy URL

braydenfitzsimmons
    Topics:

Loki over WandaVision is a surprising choice, lemme read their justification

ReplyCopy URL

mafro987
    Topics:

Don’t do The Serpent like that! It will likely be on mine if I do a top 20. And while these lists are certainly helpful to people in terms of finding new TV to watch, they’re just meant to be a bit of fun – I don’t mind publications like Vogue giving their takes (even if they doesn’t hold as much weight as Indiewire or the Guardian for example).

FYC: Station Eleven in all categories

ReplyCopy URL

Gajo
    Topics:

Don’t do The Serpent like that!

If it’s any consolation I thought Rahim was very good at the least 😅

ReplyCopy URL

Victor
    Topics:

Nine Perfect Strangers LOL

Emmy winner Matthew Macfadyen!!

ReplyCopy URL

Manav
    Topics:

I expect Hacks, Maid and Mare Of Easttown to make most lists.

ReplyCopy URL

Victor
    Topics:

Clear frontrunner for me it will be obviously The Underground Railroad, Hacks will top comedy and maybe Succession repeats in drama.

ReplyCopy URL

Tyler
    Topics:

Reservation Dogs will probably do very well here critics love it. I expect TUR to be the highest rated limited series, but maybe Maid challenges it. As far as other limited series go, I feel like the White Lotus may have a better showing than Mare?  Succession and Squid Game will be the drama series representatives.

ReplyCopy URL

Couverture
    Topics:

Mare was already ahead of TUR in the June-July critics lists. And it has since gone on to have a successful Emmy season (unlike TUR) and then won at both HCA and TCA. So I expect it to have a bigger margin with the YEL. I wouldn’t be surprised if TUR isn’t top 5 tbh.

A Negroni. Sbagliato. With Prosecco in it.

ReplyCopy URL

kat_ebbs
    Topics:

I find it refreshing. None of those would make my list but personally I think we should embrace and be excited by a diverse range of critical opinions rather than a herd mentality as to what is allowed to be considered good.

This.

ReplyCopy URL

wolfali
    Topics:

It would be shocked if Hacks doesn’t place top 5. If last year is anything to show then Only Murders in the Building will have a strong showing. Not only was it received decently upon premiere (76 on Metacritic) but just like The Queen’s Gambit and Ted Lasso the love has only grown and the show is a big hit. Speaking of Ted Lasso is one I expect to do just as well as last time because the love for it amongst critics seems to have grown as well.

After that it becomes a bit interesting with comedy. <i>Reservation Dogs</i> seems to have a lot of critical passion so I can see it doing well. The Great is premiering too late to make some of these lists so I wouldn’t be surprised if it misses the aggregate completely. What We Do in the Shadows is interesting because on the one hand this season has one of the highest Metacritic scores of a comedy ever but the feelings following this season’s airing don’t seem to match that score. I don’t expect it to drop off from the aggregate entirely but it will be interesting to see if it has a dip, stays in the same position it was last season or if the initial appreciation for this season is still there and it ends up topping some of these lists.

MaidMare of Easttown and The Underground Railroad are not short of any critical passion. <i>The White Lotus</i> is another to keep an eye on potentially over-performing like <i>Only Murders in the Building</i>. I’d be interested to see how WandaVision performs. It did well in TCA noms and the HCA awarded it but it just feels like such an after thought because it aired such a long time ago.

Succession and Squid Game will do well. I also expect The Good Fight to make the aggregate considering its only miss was for its abridged April to May released season and the critical consensus this time round is that season 5 is the show’s best.

Hope The Other Two is embraced like it was for season 1!

FYC: Better Call Saul and The Good Fight in all categories including Bob Odenkirk, Christine Baranski and Rhea Seehorn.

ReplyCopy URL

Reis
    Topics:

If you search top 10 tv shows 2021 there are more list but almost all of them have (so far) in the title so probably they will release the final list later.

ReplyCopy URL

Victor
    Topics:

If you search top 10 tv shows 2021 there are more list but almost all of them have (so far) in the title so probably they will release the final list later.

It was the mid year lists, Mare, TUR and WV dominated it

ReplyCopy URL
    Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 286 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.