Home Forums Television 2022 BAFTA TV Awards Predictions

2022 BAFTA TV Awards Predictions

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 241 through 255 (of 396 total)
Created
6 months ago
Last Reply
1 day ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
AMG
craigkell
  • Profile picture
    Craig Kell
    Topics:

Have finally seen Help and I wouldn’t engrave Comer’s name onto the trophy just yet.

She is fantastic but the drama itself takes a turn that slightly leaves a sour taste in my mouth. It was horrifying stuff up til then and really moving. But I don’t get why it took that turn.

I could see ‘the night shift’ being up for Must See Moment as that is the peak of its power.

Maybe it should’ve been an hour long one-off…or stay at 90 minutes but have more to say on the horrendous conditions care homes were left to deal with after being ignored. The long lasting impact on the staff and residents. That would’ve been unflinching television til the end instead of what it became.

I do get the criticisms about that final act, though I just saw it as desperation from Sarah. Without that climax, we wouldn’t have had that closing monologue.

If the night shift sequence doesn’t win Jodie her second BAFTA, then that speech will (it’s been that talked about).

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    AMG
    Topics:

I do get the criticisms about that final act, though I just saw it as desperation from Sarah. Without that climax, we wouldn’t have had that closing monologue.

If the night shift sequence doesn’t win Jodie her second BAFTA, then that speech will (it’s been that talked about).

You could have still had something incredibly powerful without that twist.

There’s a huge mental toll of staff and residents that they’ll be living with now. Forms of PTSD, financial impacts on the future of care homes, social aspects from families that weren’t wholly explored.

That to me would’ve been more powerful to carry the story on post-night shift than what we got. And you could easily have had a monologue of that power within those stories too.

Check out more of my thoughts on Twitter (@AMG_Review) and Instagram (amg_reviews)

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    yabixz
    Topics:

https://twitter.com/ohscomer/status/1438616039818936323?s=21

Jodie’s ending clip went pretty viral on Twitter and is still being talked about a lot a week later.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I really hope Feel Good makes the cut for scripted comedy (although yes I know the show isn’t really that comedic) this time round. Season 2 was one of the most heartbreaking things I’ve ever seen on television.

Oscars FYC:
    "THE POWER OF THE DOG" – IN ALL CATEGORIES
    "SPENCER" – In all categories especially Director (Pablo Larrain) and Actress (Kristen Stewart)
    "SHIVA BABY" – in all categories especially Picture, Adapted Screenplay, Score
    "TOGETHER" – Actress (Sharon Horgan), Actor (James McAvoy), Original Screenplay
    "FLEE" – IN ALL CATEGORIES
    "LAST NIGHT IN SOHO" – Director (Edgar Wright), S. Actress (Anya Taylor-Joy/Diana Rigg), Cinematography, Costume Design and Production Design

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    kat_ebbs
    Topics:

Sean Bean & Nicola Walker Starring In Stefan Golaszewski Drama ‘Marriage’ For BBC One

I can actually see how Walker and Bean compliment each other as actors, I’d not have though about that combo but I think it works.

Not this year obviously.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    AMG
    Topics:

The more I think about it, the more I see Suranne Jones nominated for Vigil and Lesley Manville getting in for I Am…

Highly unlikely they both make it in for I Am…

Check out more of my thoughts on Twitter (@AMG_Review) and Instagram (amg_reviews)

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Craig Kell
    Topics:

I did like Suranne in Vigil but was a bit letdown by the series overall. I’d prefer to see her nominated for I Am but it’s tough to choose between her and Lesley.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    orangestraw
    Topics:

I really liked Vigil overall and I didn’t think the finale was horrendous, but no way do I see how this could get a second season. I thought Suranne was better in the finale than she had been the rest of the series.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    forwardswill
    Topics:

Vigil screams BAFTA shutout to me

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Vigil screams BAFTA shutout to me

Don’t give me hope!

Oscars FYC:
    "SPENCER" – In all categories especially Director (Pablo Larrain) and Actress (Kristen Stewart)
    "LAST NIGHT IN SOHO" – Director (Edgar Wright), S. Actress (Anya Taylor-Joy/Diana Rigg), Cinematography, Costume Design and Production Design

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    forwardswill
    Topics:

Don’t give me hope!

I didn’t find it that bad in the end! Not that I’d nominate it

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I didn’t find it that bad in the end! Not that I’d nominate it

I got up to episode four and just decided to give up haha. It just wasn’t for me.

Oscars FYC:

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    AMG
    Topics:

Biggest new drama of the year, that’s got people talking, with a BAFTA winner in the lead role and a great ensemble of British talent, and isn’t going to feature at the winter awards or Emmys…I’d say don’t predict this showing up anywhere at your own peril.

I personally loved it and was hooked by it. Jones was fantastic as always, it was gripping and didn’t go where I expected it to which is a really great thing in the world of Twitter guessing games. BAFTA love a drama that’s different to the other nominees and I think this ticks that box.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I think Vigil‘s chances will depend on where it submits. If it is competing in mini series I think it has little to no chance. This year is quite packed with shows that have more passion, are baitier, just as (if not more) high profile and watched, more acclaimed and frankly better like It’s a SinTimeStephenDeceit, The Serpent etc. And that’s without mentioning shows like Ridley Road and Landscapers with strong pedigrees, baity premises and BAFTA winning/nominated thespians coming later.

However the drama series field is the definition of barren and it’s one of the most watched dramas of the year so it would probably easily make it in with the membership vote and it wouldn’t surprise me if it got through with the jury (even Line of Duty might get through because of these circumstances eww).

Oscars FYC:

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Craig Kell
    Topics:

Yeah it’s safe to say Drama Series is rather barren this year compared to recent ceremonies.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 241 through 255 (of 396 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.