Home Forums Television 2023 Emmy Predictions: Comedy Categories (Part 2)

2023 Emmy Predictions: Comedy Categories (Part 2)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 507 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
1 week ago
replies
views
users
kat_ebbs
Victor
wolfali

• J
    Topics:

I’m so here for Keke taking guest actress

kat_ebbs
    Topics:

I’m so here for Keke taking guest actress

I have an issue with SNL filling spots but I am fine if they’re good.

I would say six months in to this cycle it’s not like there’s a huge number guest comedy actress contenders either.

forwardswill
    Topics:

I finished The Bear and it is officially the worst case of genre category fraud I have ever seen. It’s not only not a comedy, it’s more of a drama than the majority of dramas.

Jays
    Topics:

I finished The Bear and it is officially the worst case of genre category fraud I have ever seen. It’s not only not a comedy, it’s more of a drama than the majority of dramas.

This! I’m still surprised it’s allowed to compete here lol. I loved it but it’s like not even remotely funny.

kat_ebbs
    Topics:

I’m really conflicted around it because whilst I really like The Bear and want its quality to be rewarded, placing it there doesn’t really achieve the goal of using the awards system to promote excellent content within a category.

Voyage
    Topics:

It really irks me too. Why would it be placed in comedy when it literally is not? I wish every awards body reconsidered because…

kat_ebbs
    Topics:

It really irks me too. Why would it be placed in comedy when it literally is not? I wish every awards body reconsidered because…

Because it’s a half hour, it doesn’t need to petition otherwise, and my guess would be that because it’s smaller in scale they thought it would be better placed there instead of competing against the massive tech-heavy shows.

Whilst I understand not wanting to put themself up against, say, House of The Dragon, the reality is it really risks taking up a space in comedy that would go to something on the bubble for a renewal, which is nearly everything so far this cycle.

Voyage
    Topics:

Because it’s a half hour, it doesn’t need to petition otherwise, and my guess would be that because it’s smaller in scale they thought it would be better placed there instead of competing against the massive tech-heavy shows.

Whilst I understand not wanting to put themself up against, say, House of The Dragon, the reality is it really risks taking up a space in comedy that would go to something on the bubble for a renewal, which is nearly everything so far this cycle.

Yes, I understand that since it is a 30 minute episode show it technically goes to Comedy, but I wonder why they just didn’t make the episodes at least 45 minutes or make it more comedic. I share the same opinion that it risks taking space from a true comedy. It is tricky and confusing

nkb325
    Topics:

It’s also not like 30 minutes dramas aren’t ALLOWED to submit in drama. Homecoming did it just a couple years ago. My guess if you are guys are right about how dramatic it is (I don’t watch the show) is that it’s a decision made purely for campaigning purposes.

Adding that with how much buzz it seems to have, I wouldn’t be shocked if it did alright as a drama too.

jjjmoss
    Topics:

oh wow the 7 most searched ppl on imdb were all from wednesday last week

kat_ebbs
    Topics:

It’s also not like 30 minutes dramas aren’t ALLOWED to submit in drama. Homecoming did it just a couple years ago. My guess if you are guys are right about how dramatic it is (I don’t watch the show) is that it’s a decision made purely for campaigning purposes.

My general rule with awards is if the category placement would make get a categorical “what?” answer to someone whose engagement with awards is casual (i.e 99% of people) then it should probably be in a different category and I think that’s the case for the bear.

Something like, say, Barry or Succession would likely at least get people on both sides of the fence.

kat_ebbs
    Topics:

oh wow the 7 most searched ppl on imdb were all from wednesday last week

Yeah, Emmys aside, I’m really interested to see what hours they do this week.

I just saw they did 3.7m on release day on BARB (the ratings body) in the UK (the Crown did 1.1)

That seems a lot given I think you could assume the US did (at least) proportionate numbers and they have 5x the population.

Onion
    Topics:

I love the show but I’ll have a really hard time rooting for it in any comedy category. It’s not even dramedy tending more towards drama, it’s just flat out drama.

Jeremy Allen White is win-worthy in the drama actor category. Winning comedy actor will just feel extremely weird.

kat_ebbs
    Topics:

I love the show but I’ll have a really hard time rooting for it in any comedy category. It’s not even dramedy tending more towards drama, it’s just flat out drama.

It’ll also 100% lead to networks and streamers commissioning straight half hour dramas and running them in comedy.

Onion
    Topics:

It’ll also 100% lead to networks and streamers commissioning straight half hour dramas and running them in comedy.

That’s one of my worries too. Especially in this TikTok era I expect half hour dramas with 6-8 episodes to be even more of a thing in these next few years because I believe it is just going to be more appealing to audiences.

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 507 total)

The topic ‘2023 Emmy Predictions: Comedy Categories (Part 2)’ is closed to new replies.