Home Forums Television 2023 Emmy Predictions: Comedy Categories

2023 Emmy Predictions: Comedy Categories

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 421 through 435 (of 512 total)
Created
4 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
replies
views
users
kat_ebbs
wolfali
Victor

• wolfali
    Topics:

I think Wednesday’s problem isn’t its genre (the Television Academy have shown themselves more than able to be populist in recent years) but rather that without building a base at the winter awards it risks just being the type of Netflix hit that is well liked but no one really cares too much about it to check it off on their ballots. Like Cobra Kai or Bodyguard (both of which of course got series nominations but didn’t get nominated for much else in spite of competing in barren Emmy fields) or Mike White’s horror shows.

Regardless though I think Wednesday’s one to keep an eye on in the craft categories and we should definitely now keep an eye on Catherine Zeta-Jones in guest considering that category’s tendency to throw nominations to established veterans in widely seen shows that the actors branch otherwise doesn’t really care too much about (i.e. Midler in The Politician, Okonedo in Ratched, Cheadle in The Falcon and the Winter Soldier, Patel in Modern Love).

FYC: Better Call Saul, The English and The Good Fight in all categories including Emily Blunt, Bob Odenkirk, Christine Baranski and Rhea Seehorn.

kat_ebbs
    Topics:

I think Wednesday’s problem isn’t its genre (the Television Academy have shown themselves more than able to be populist in recent years) but rather that without building a base at the winter awards it risks just being the type of Netflix hit that is well liked but no one really cares too much about it to check it off on their ballots. Like Cobra Kai or Bodyguard (both of which of course got series nominations but didn’t get nominated for much else in spite of competing in barren Emmy fields) or Mike White’s horror shows.

Yeah, I don’t really know what to make of it, especially this late in the cycle (I mean Globes noms close in a couple of days).

My guess would be the easiest nom would be costumes (the guilds love Atwood, and I think this is possibly her first time doing TV).

I think they need to get Ortega in somewhere to be any chance at Emmys (aka Lynskey last year).

wolfali
    Topics:

Yeah, I don’t really know what to make of it, especially this late in the cycle (I mean Globes noms close in a couple of days).

My guess would be the easiest nom would be costumes (the guilds love Atwood, and I think this is possibly her first time doing TV).

I think they need to get Ortega in somewhere to be any chance at Emmys (aka Lynskey last year).

I think Ortega’s problem is that the actors branch tend to be very slow when it comes to comedies and if you’re not a familiar name to the industry or have received a sizable amount of critical attention (à la Brunson, Rae) it’s very difficult to get in. I actually think we can partly attribute that to Lancashire missing in comedy actress in spite of receiving acclaim from high profile in the industry and Julia being the definition of awards bait or HBO Max failing to get any of the leads of their fringe comedies in in spite of Our Flag Means Death having strong internet buzz and pundits pushing for Jake Johnson in Minx. Or even with both Cobra Kai men missing out for… Kenan Thompson in Kenan

What would help Ortega is if she manages to get a Golden Globe nomination but at the same time Richard Madden WON the Globe for Bodyguard and still got snubbed at the Emmys. It’s very hard to get nominated if you’ve never been nominated before and your show isn’t that big a contender overall no matter how much buzz you have (even with Zendaya/Euphoria there was a big critical push for season 1 and it got an international BAFTA nomination).

FYC: Better Call Saul, The English and The Good Fight in all categories including Emily Blunt, Bob Odenkirk, Christine Baranski and Rhea Seehorn.

Victor
    Topics:

Now watch Ortega pop up at SAG.

Please! These gays, they're trying to murder me!

jjjmoss
    Topics:

in the last 30 years, the only schoolgirl role nominated in the category appears to be lea michele’s.

Definitely helped by being a directing/writing/series nominee with the main adults scoring in Lead Actor and Supporting Actress.

wolfali
    Topics:

Now watch Ortega pop up at SAG.

Justice for her Emmy snub for The Fallout!

Victor
    Topics:

in the last 30 years, the only schoolgirl role nominated in the category appears to be lea michele’s.

Definitely helped by being a directing/writing/series nominee with the main adults scoring in Lead Actor and Supporting Actress.

I mean, before Zendaya the only person playing a teenager nominated in the Drama Actress category wasn’t in like 95 with Claire Danes?
    I’m not saying Ortega will be nominated but stats are meant to be broken.

Please! These gays, they're trying to murder me!

wolfali
    Topics:

mean, before Zendaya the only person playing a teenager nominated in the Drama Actress category wasn’t in like 95 with Claire Danes?

It’s a shame because she was better than both of them.

kat_ebbs
    Topics:

in the last 30 years, the only schoolgirl role nominated in the category appears to be lea michele’s. Definitely helped by being a directing/writing/series nominee with the main adults scoring in Lead Actor and Supporting Actress.

Yep, but it’s not like the adult actresses in the show aren’t holding their own and they couldn’t construct a campaign where they run Ortega alongside one of them.

wolfali
    Topics:

I have to say between The Sandman, Wednesday and soon Severance it’s so nice to see Gwendoline turn up in so many things right now. I was worried she would disappear after GoT.

jjjmoss
    Topics:

I mean, before Zendaya the only person playing a teenager nominated in the Drama Actress category wasn’t in like 95 with Claire Danes? I’m not saying Ortega will be nominated but stats are meant to be broken.

idk if ortega would want to follow my so called life’s footsteps of 1 season and cancelled…

wolfali
    Topics:

idk if ortega would want to follow my so called life’s footsteps of 1 season and cancelled…

Sometimes it feels like your brain and your eyes are in two separate dimensions when you respond to people on this forum.

kat_ebbs
    Topics:

I have to say between The Sandman, Wednesday and soon Severance it’s so nice to see Gwendoline turn up in so many things right now. I was worried she would disappear after GoT.

She’s actually really good here and I wouldn’t underestimate her (her vague good notices also make sense, she really is a walking spoiler). She’s also had that happen in conjunction with a GoT reconnaissance (and she was one of the least hurt by the final season anyway) and this role is whiplash different.

wolfali
    Topics:

She’s actually really good here and I wouldn’t underestimate her (her vague good notices also make sense, she really is a walking spoiler). She’s also had that happen in conjunction with a GoT reconnaissance (and she was one of the least hurt by the final season anyway) and this role is whiplash different.

I liked her in what I’ve seen of her in the first two episodes (although I felt that way with Ricci and Zeta-Jones too – the latter was a riot in the pilot!)

kat_ebbs
    Topics:

I liked her in what I’ve seen of her in the first two episodes (although I felt that way with Ricci and Zeta-Jones too – the latter was a riot in the pilot!)

I think Zeta-Jones would be a good guest nom, I like her in the later ep better. Ricci gets the most to do in the finale. Christie doesn’t necessarily get a highlight ep but I think she and Ortega end up being terrific scene partners and she kind of anchors the “adult” narrative.

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 421 through 435 (of 512 total)

The topic ‘2023 Emmy Predictions: Comedy Categories’ is closed to new replies.