Home Forums Television 2023 Emmy Predictions: Comedy Categories

2023 Emmy Predictions: Comedy Categories

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 459 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
2 hours ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
kat_ebbs
wolfali
Victor

• wolfali
    Topics:

Here you go: https://www.nprillinois.org/podcast/front-row-network/2022-09-09/jeremy-swift-talks-music-and-ted-lasso-with-peanut-but?_amp=true

Thanks!

FYC: Better Call Saul and The Good Fight in all categories including Bob Odenkirk, Christine Baranski and Rhea Seehorn.

ReplyCopy URL

kat_ebbs
    Topics:

I agree there is no Only Murders in this years batch.

Shows that are “listed” as comedies that I suspect will have interest because of who is involved, but the Apple/Prime/Showtime/Peacock of them all needs to be taken in to consideration (some of which could DEFINITELY go limited):

Mr and Mrs Smith, Extrapolations, Mrs American Pie, Beef, The Curse, High Desert, Shrinking, Poker Face.

I don’t really see HBO as having anything – they’ll likely double down on what they have, which is plenty. Hulu same deal.

Wednesday is the only show I think has really clear signs in pre-release search that it will be a hit, but that’s not the same as awards contender

ReplyCopy URL

wolfali
    Topics:

Extrapolations is almost certainly going limited. Episodic anthologies aren’t allowed to compete in the comedy and drama categories anymore (Black Mirror will have to move back to Limited this season like Modern Love did).

FYC: Better Call Saul and The Good Fight in all categories including Bob Odenkirk, Christine Baranski and Rhea Seehorn.

ReplyCopy URL

kat_ebbs
    Topics:

Extrapolations is almost certainly going limited. Episodic anthologies aren’t allowed to compete in the comedy and drama categories anymore (Black Mirror will have to move back to Limited this season like Modern Love did).

Yeah, that’s what I thought, and some of the other shows also have a level of talent involved that might be disinclined to commit to more than a season.

Am I missing anything coming up that has super high engagement before release?

ReplyCopy URL

jjjmoss
    Topics:

with more big ratings drops despite the short break between seasons, i’m thinking atlanta will at best match this season’s diminished haul.

ReplyCopy URL

Victor
    Topics:

Atlanta, sadly, feels DOA

Emmy winner Matthew Macfadyen!!

ReplyCopy URL

kat_ebbs
    Topics:

with more big ratings drops despite the short break between seasons, i’m thinking atlanta will at best match this season’s diminished haul.

Ouch, I just looked this up, and  you’re right. You can’t put that down to churn to streaming. WWDITS (also S4) is more than doubling them now.

Atlanta would really need to overperform at Winter to stay around the mark.

ReplyCopy URL

wolfali
    Topics:

Honestly I don’t even think Glover will get back in this time round. Even if we’re to assume Ted Lasso and The Great are missing eligibility that category just feels so goddamn competitive this year between Hader, White, the two Martins, Youssef, Fielder and potential new contenders like Yeun.

I think the show’s best shot at an above the line nomination is directing because they like series finales and the branch went out of its way to nominate the show this time round but even then the field also feels more competitive this year and I’m not sure how much of that nomination was due to the show or to Hiro Murai.

ReplyCopy URL

24Kgirl
    Topics:

I didn’t even know Atlanta season 4 was airing as I had seen zero publicity for it (as opposed to season 3). Anyone know why they choose to release S4 so close in time to S3 instead of holding to late Winter or Spring?

ReplyCopy URL

kat_ebbs
    Topics:

I didn’t even know Atlanta season 4 was airing as I had seen zero publicity for it (as opposed to season 3). Anyone know why they choose to release S4 so close in time to S3 instead of holding to late Winter or Spring?

Maybe to stop Glover from competing with himself for Mr and Mrs Smith?

ReplyCopy URL

Heptapod
    Topics:

Anyone know why they choose to release S4 so close in time to S3 instead of holding to late Winter or Spring?

I’d guess that it was to counteract the long break between seasons. Rebuild hype during s3, give everyone a bit of time to catch up as the show collected its Emmy nominations, so that s4 could finish off the show’s run strong.

Of course, the opposite happened. S3 lost fans, the show stumbled at the Emmys, and barely anyone cares anymore.

FX wouldn’t intentionally bow to Amazon and give them a better chance for awards success. That doesn’t benefit them. The Emmys also allow for multiple nods for one performer in the same category, so Glover could’ve feasibly made it for both shows anyway.

FYC: The Bear (Ayo Edebiri) Industry (Marisa Abela) OMITB (Jayne Houdyshell) Physical (Rose Byrne) WWDITS (Natasia Demetriou)

ReplyCopy URL

wolfali
    Topics:

It’s also worth pointing out that this is a business first and foremost. If you’re FX and you’re trying to find a show for your viewers to dive into after your big lead in finishes its run (in this case What We Do in the Shadows) and you don’t have anything ready other than the final season of Atlanta (which was shot back to back with season 3)… what are you going to do? Awards are secondary priorities to most of these networks and streamers in a competitive TV landscape.

ReplyCopy URL

kat_ebbs
    Topics:

Awards are secondary priorities to most of these networks and streamers in a competitive TV landscape.

Yeah, it’s a good point, we forget this sometimes.

It’s interesting how some shows have and haven’t survived long breaks, though. I do wonder if shows that a bit more re-watchable were served better.

ReplyCopy URL

Victor
    Topics:

Lisa Kudrow to Star in Taika Waititi’s Time Bandits Adaptation at Apple TV+

And THIS is her comeback

Emmy winner Matthew Macfadyen!!

ReplyCopy URL

wolfali
    Topics:

Regardless of whenever Ted Lasso season 3 competes or airs, I’m gonna need Jodi Balfour to pull a Carrie Coon and get nominated for her performance on the show to rectify her inevitable Emmy snub this year for For All Mankind season 3.

ReplyCopy URL
    Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 459 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.