Home Forums Television 2023 Emmy Predictions: Comedy Categories

2023 Emmy Predictions: Comedy Categories

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 473 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
12 hours ago
( +2 hidden )
replies
views
users
kat_ebbs
wolfali
Victor

• Stretchy
    Topics:

Would really love to see “Ghosts” get some love, it can definitely co-exist with Abbott.

ReplyCopy URL

jjjmoss
    Topics:

I mean neither its 0.55 rating nor Abbott’s 0.46 ratings are going to be a big factor in wheter they get votes.

Abbott being critics’ #1 pick and being the go-to non-white pick were a bigger deal.

ReplyCopy URL

alittle03
    Topics:

• FYC: Everything Everywhere All at Once in any and every single category, especially Best Picture, Michelle Yeoh in Actress, Stephanie Hsu in Supporting Actress, The Daniels in Director/Screenplay, Paul Rogers in Editing, and Son Lux in Score.

ReplyCopy URL

adriandecker770
    Topics:

I know it got snubbed this year but I’m really hoping Reservation Dogs at least pulls out a nomination. Critics liked Season 1 but I feel like Season 2 has gotten way more buzz from critics, with people like Alan Sepinwall saying it’s already beaten other heavy hitters like Better Call Saul for their best show of the year. I’m not sure how much sway critical reception has, but I feel like the outpouring of critical praise for shows like Severance and Yellowjackets are part of the reason they managed to pick up a lot of nominations. Really hoping the superior second season gets them some attention

ReplyCopy URL

Jacob "Oscar Boy" Boe
    Topics:

I know it got snubbed this year but I’m really hoping Reservation Dogs at least pulls out a nomination. Critics liked Season 1 but I feel like Season 2 has gotten way more buzz from critics, with people like Alan Sepinwall saying it’s already beaten other heavy hitters like Better Call Saul for their best show of the year. I’m not sure how much sway critical reception has, but I feel like the outpouring of critical praise for shows like Severance and Yellowjackets are part of the reason they managed to pick up a lot of nominations. Really hoping the superior second season gets them some attention

I LOVED Rez Dogs last year and although I haven’t gotten around to this season yet, I already know I want it in again. Such a brilliant show that has such novel qualities (fully Indigenous cast, entirely filmed in OK). If it makes a bunch of critics lists this year too, I really think the Emmys may follow suit this time.

Top Ten 2022 Films:
    1. Everything Everywhere All At Once
    2. The Fabelmans
    3. The Banshees of Inisherin
    4. The Batman
    5. TAR
    6. Top Gun: Maverick
    7. Bros
    8. The Woman King
    9. Elvis
    10. The Menu

ReplyCopy URL

wolfali
    Topics:

Is it just me or does Ramy kind of feel buzzless?

FYC: Better Call Saul and The Good Fight in all categories including Bob Odenkirk, Christine Baranski and Rhea Seehorn.

ReplyCopy URL

kat_ebbs
    Topics:

Maybe, but I think just about everything is and has been pretty much since the start of August. All that pre-existing IP kind of drowns everything else out. It’s kind of notable IMDB lists four shows with 100K votes in that period and then the next thing is Dahmer at 35K (and that required intense controversy). I mean I don’t work in programming strategy but I wouldn’t launch a show during this run. It’s the same reason everyone avoided GoT – the air gets sucked out of the room by all the big shiny things.

ReplyCopy URL

wolfali
    Topics:

It’s kind of notable IMDB lists four shows with 100K votes in that period

I’m surprised Andor‘s votes are that low for the show it is.

FYC: Better Call Saul and The Good Fight in all categories including Bob Odenkirk, Christine Baranski and Rhea Seehorn.

ReplyCopy URL

kat_ebbs
    Topics:

I’m surprised Andor‘s votes are that low for the show it is.

Yeah, that’s quite atypical, especially after four episodes.

ReplyCopy URL

adriandecker770
    Topics:

I feel like this period of the year is really lacking in momentum, partly due to Dragon and Rings dominating every conversation, but it also feels like a weird middle between the buzz of Emmy nominations in May and the year-end buzz. I also think for a thoughtful/artistic show like Ramy, releasing all its episodes at once probably hurts it. It basically has this week to gain traction and then it’s going to get lost in the hustle.

Also, Season 2, which I thought was amazing, didn’t get much buzz either, which is especially shocking considering it premiered right at the start of the pandemic when it didn’t have much competition. Ramy feels like one of many comedies with a creative premise like Atlanta/Crazy Ex-Girlfriend that gets some buzz for its first season and then vanishes, despite still producing good seasons.

ReplyCopy URL

adriandecker770
    Topics:

I LOVED Rez Dogs last year and although I haven’t gotten around to this season yet, I already know I want it in again. Such a brilliant show that has such novel qualities (fully Indigenous cast, entirely filmed in OK). If it makes a bunch of critics lists this year too, I really think the Emmys may follow suit this time.

I’m really crossing my fingers. I enjoyed season 1 a lot, but season 2 is on a different level. My memory of Season 1 is a bit hazy but Season 2 goes for a much more episodic approach. It reminds me of shows like Atlanta, but I feel like Reservation Dogs does an even better job of balancing individual short story like episodes while still making the season feel cohesive, and making it feel like the whole season is building to something in spite of its episodic structure. I’ve honestly never seen anything quite like it, you’re in for such a treat when you get around to watching it.

ReplyCopy URL

kat_ebbs
    Topics:

Also, Season 2, which I thought was amazing, didn’t get much buzz either, which is especially shocking considering it premiered right at the start of the pandemic when it didn’t have much competition. Ramy feels like one of many comedies with a creative premise like Atlanta/Crazy Ex-Girlfriend that gets some buzz for its first season and then vanishes, despite still producing good seasons.

I also don’t think that US audiences are that used to long breaks between comedies, and unless you’re propulsive (like Barry), stuff like Atlanta, Russian Doll, Ramy is likely relegated down the viewing queue. The more I think about it I also won’t be surprised if Dead to Me suffers the same fate. Whilst intellectually people know there’s been a pandemic and other things holding back production, that’s not necessarily what results in reality.

ReplyCopy URL

adriandecker770
    Topics:

I also don’t think that US audiences are that used to long breaks between comedies, and unless you’re propulsive (like Barry), stuff like Atlanta, Russian Doll, Ramy is likely relegated down the viewing queue. The more I think about it I also won’t be surprised if Dead to Me suffers the same fate. Whilst intellectually people know there’s been a pandemic and other things holding back production, that’s not necessarily what results in reality.

This is a pretty good point. All of these shows would’ve been shoe ins a few years ago, but I think audiences aren’t yet accustomed to the idea that a tv show can be gone for more than one year. HBO seems to be able to get away with it, though. I feel like all their projects get a special attention that FX/Netflix/Hulu aren’t afforded. Better Call Saul is another one that got away with two year breaks, which is probably because it already managed to get nominated four straight seasons in a row, and it’s the prequel to one of the most acclaimed shows ever.  That same grace isn’t afforded to shows with only one or two seasons under their belt.

ReplyCopy URL

24Kgirl
    Topics:

Just speculation going around but with Apple being the Super Bowl halftime show sponsor this year, Ted Lasso season 3 will premier around the same time in February (using the game as promo).

ReplyCopy URL

wolfali
    Topics:

Are we sleeping on Bad Sisters? It looks like it has picked up some steam with this week’s episode.

It has also been performing quite well on IMDB relative to other comedies and Apple shows. It’s sandwiched between Abbott Elementary and The Bear on their comedy chart this week and the only two Apple shows ahead of it on the overall chart are Severance and Ted Lasso.

ReplyCopy URL
    Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 473 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.