Home Forums Television 2023 Emmy Predictions: Comedy Categories

2023 Emmy Predictions: Comedy Categories

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 490 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
7 hours ago
( +2 hidden )
replies
views
users
kat_ebbs
wolfali
Victor

• kat_ebbs
    Topics:

The thing I continue to not be able to shake here is the fact that I feel like – cyclically – a new comedy will probably break by end of eligibility.  I know we have The Bear, but it’s a “technical” comedy. It feels like we’re kind of….ready for something new and funny to drop? Like, everyone’s timeline feels overdue for some new laughs and likely to adopt something good?

ReplyCopy URL

adriandecker770
    Topics:

Especially compared to Drama, I feel like we do get a lot of strong new comedies almost every year, so I agree. Who knows what it’ll be, but we have a long time til June. If this year was any indication, I’m not gonna be surprised if we get a sudden onslaught of awards bait comedies in the last one or two months.

ReplyCopy URL

kat_ebbs
    Topics:

Especially compared to Drama, I feel like we do get a lot of strong new comedies almost every year, so I agree. Who knows what it’ll be, but we have a long time til June. If this year was any indication, I’m not gonna be surprised if we get a sudden onslaught of awards bait comedies in the last one or two months.

I think if we’d gotten a relatively funny drama so far, I might think differently, but we haven’t really.

ReplyCopy URL

wolfali
    Topics:

Even if we don’t have a new comedy series break through I just feel like something that couldn’t manage to get in last time round is going to capitalise from that void because we always have some sort of new entity in the comedy field every year. We had no new comedy series contenders in 2020 but Ramy and What We Do in the Shadows exploded after getting ignored for their first seasons the year prior. In 2019’s ultra competitive field we had so many different first time series nominees even though Russian Doll was the only new show in contention.

I think it will be interesting to see what turns up on end of year critics lists and slips in at the Globes and the guilds (especially WGA) this year. Last year it was quite difficult for some of these fringier shows to break through because it was hard for voters to seek out anything new that wasn’t just too big to ignore in such a crowded field (like Abbott Elementary and Severance) but I think with things being much quieter it will be easier for shows from this past year to pick up a bit more traction.

FYC: Better Call Saul and The Good Fight in all categories including Bob Odenkirk, Christine Baranski and Rhea Seehorn.

ReplyCopy URL

smarter person
    Topics:
    adriandecker770
    Topics:

Wow, exciting that it’s going into production so fast. This reminds me how much I appreciated seeing Bill Hader wearing a mask at the Emmys.

ReplyCopy URL

smarter person
    Topics:

Wow, exciting that it’s going into production so fast. This reminds me how much I appreciated seeing Bill Hader wearing a mask at the Emmys.

They’ve been filming since early August, but yeah! Glad to see him still masking up.

ReplyCopy URL

wolfali
    Topics:

More Barry S4 BTS courtesy of HBO!

Me plotting Sarah Goldberg’s revenge on the Television Academy:

FYC: Better Call Saul and The Good Fight in all categories including Bob Odenkirk, Christine Baranski and Rhea Seehorn.

ReplyCopy URL

adriandecker770
    Topics:

I need her to get nominated and win for the next season. She’s absolutely had one of my favourite performances of the year so far and I can’t believe she got snubbed.

ReplyCopy URL

Owl-Always-watching
    Topics:

The bear will be the break out nominee. Everyone was commenting on it at one point

Reboot will probably be a hit with the writers guild with all the meta jokes

ReplyCopy URL

adriandecker770
    Topics:

Yeah, I’m not sure how I feel about its chances to win, but I’m expecting a lot of nominations for The Bear.

ReplyCopy URL

kat_ebbs
    Topics:

Kind of notable (looking at those huge Dahmer numbers) that Cobra Kai has had a 32% drop in total numbers compared to the last season that aired over New Years (including older seasons) despite good reviews. If it were already fringe, that’s probably enough to throw it in to no longer a contender.

(I have a theory that Netflix’s subscriber loss is mostly in men – a theory I’m increasingly more confident on – which would explain this)

ReplyCopy URL

adriandecker770
    Topics:

Kind of notable (looking at those huge Dahmer numbers) that Cobra Kai has had a 32% drop in total numbers compared to the last season that aired over New Years (including older seasons) despite good reviews. If it were already fringe, that’s probably enough to throw it in to no longer a contender. (I have a theory that Netflix’s subscriber loss is mostly in men – a theory I’m increasingly more confident on – which would explain this)

Ohh, I’m really curious, why do you think men are dropping their subscriptions?

ReplyCopy URL

jaddie34
    Topics:

Great

ReplyCopy URL

kat_ebbs
    Topics:

Ohh, I’m really curious, why do you think men are dropping their subscriptions?

What’s charting, especially in the US.

ReplyCopy URL
    Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 490 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.