Home Forums Television 2023 Emmy Predictions: Comedy Categories

2023 Emmy Predictions: Comedy Categories

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 473 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
12 hours ago
( +2 hidden )
replies
views
users
kat_ebbs
wolfali
Victor

• kat_ebbs
    Topics:

The bear will be the break out nominee. Everyone was commenting on it at one point Reboot will probably be a hit with the writers guild with all the meta jokes

That’s not what I mean though and I’m not saying a comedy “replaces” The Bear, I think it will get in anyway – I mean a comedy trending because it’s, well, funny, and not just with industry like Reboot. Wolfali’s right, it could easily be a second year show.

ReplyCopy URL

jjjmoss
    Topics:

The bear will be the break out nominee. Everyone was commenting on it at one point Reboot will probably be a hit with the writers guild with all the meta jokes

who’s everyone

ReplyCopy URL

kat_ebbs
    Topics:

I personally don’t see Barry, The Bear and Dead to Me all getting in. I don’t think the category can support three shows erring so close to drama. Maybe two, and one drops down to acting only.

ReplyCopy URL

Sir Shaw
    Topics:

Inside Amy Schumer is back for a new season in two weeks (and moving to Paramount+)

ReplyCopy URL

wolfali
    Topics:

I personally don’t see Barry, The Bear and Dead to Me all getting in. I don’t think the category can support three shows erring so close to drama.

I mean the 2019 comedy series category had both Barry and Russian Doll nominated and was won by a tragicomedy…

FYC: Better Call Saul and The Good Fight in all categories including Bob Odenkirk, Christine Baranski and Rhea Seehorn.

ReplyCopy URL

LittleLucky
    Topics:

I personally don’t see Barry, The Bear and Dead to Me all getting in. I don’t think the category can support three shows erring so close to drama. Maybe two, and one drops down to acting only.

I honestly don’t think the “category fraud” (for lack of a better term) is what would prevent The Bear and Dead to Me from both getting in.

The Bear will be close to a year old when nominations voting happens, so it really needs to sustain momentum (partially via winter awards) to get nominated.

Meanwhile, Dead to Me got in for S2, but the buzz for it may not be as high anymore due to the break between seasons, so it could easily be dropped like Atlanta and Russian Doll. Since every episode will be dropped at once on Netflix, it could be especially difficult for it to generate hype after said break.

ReplyCopy URL

Couverture
    Topics:

I mean the 2019 comedy series category had both Barry and Russian Doll nominated and was won by a tragicomedy…

2018 had both Atlanta and Barry in the top 3 as well. I don’t think getting all three in is as much of a challenge as it seems if things go well otherwise.

A Negroni. Sbagliato. With Prosecco in it.

ReplyCopy URL

adriandecker770
    Topics:

My prediction is Dead to Me is going to get snubbed/ignored, for similar reasons to stuff such as Atlanta etc. where the gap between seasons is just too long. Even before Barry came out I felt there was a lot of buzz going into it, from critics and audiences, whereas Dead to Me feels like it’s pretty quiet. On the other hand, the new season could come out, be mind blowingly good and create a huge amount of buzz, propelling it into awards season.

I expect Barry and The Bear to get in, but I also wouldn’t be terribly surprised if another new “comedy that’s basically a drama” comes out before May and gets in.

ReplyCopy URL

kat_ebbs
    Topics:

My prediction is Dead to Me is going to get snubbed/ignored, for similar reasons to stuff such as Atlanta etc. where the gap between seasons is just too long. Even before Barry came out I felt there was a lot of buzz going into it, from critics and audiences, whereas Dead to Me feels like it’s pretty quiet

The more I think about it, I think it’s the casualty, though there is a great deal of affection for Applegate and that might be retained. I also kind of hate the date, I don’t love it being sandwiched between three new series of varying importance AND a new Crown cast. I think it’s got high potential to get lost unless it’s really excellent.

ReplyCopy URL

wolfali
    Topics:

I think Applegate can happen even if the show is a non-factor everywhere else. Last year showed that in a crowded field with lots of options but not enough time how far your industry stature and goodwill can take you and I think she’s a lot like someone like Sandra Oh or Toni Collette in that regard. It helps that her name will be the first on the ballot for half of these voters and she’s shown herself to be able to get in without the show (whilst say someone like Lyonne couldn’t even get in at SAG when Russian Doll season 1 got shut out there).

I do think Cardellini is much more dependant on the show’s chances in series though.

FYC: Better Call Saul and The Good Fight in all categories including Bob Odenkirk, Christine Baranski and Rhea Seehorn.

ReplyCopy URL

Owl-Always-watching
    Topics:

That’s not what I mean though and I’m not saying a comedy “replaces” The Bear, I think it will get in anyway – I mean a comedy trending because it’s, well, funny, and not just with industry like Reboot. Wolfali’s right, it could easily be a second year show.

I missed the part where I quoted you and directed my post to you.

ReplyCopy URL

LittleLucky
    Topics:

I think Applegate can happen even if the show is a non-factor everywhere else. Last year showed that in a crowded field with lots of options but not enough time how far your industry stature and goodwill can take you and I think she’s a lot like someone like Sandra Oh or Toni Collette in that regard. It helps that her name will be the first on the ballot for half of these voters and she’s shown herself to be able to get in without the show (whilst say someone like Lyonne couldn’t even get in at SAG when Russian Doll season 1 got shut out there). I do think Cardellini is much more dependant on the show’s chances in series though.

Completely agree, if nothing else Dead to Me will still get Applegate in (akin to Kaley Cuoco in The Flight Attendant S2). She’s stronger than the show, and while showchecking was more prevalent for the most recent Emmy noms than namechecking, I just don’t buy there being 6 performances with more passion behind them than her.

Cardellini could get in without Dead to Me in Series (it does seem like this will be a stacked year for that category, and a miss wouldn’t be THAT bad, after all), but she’s much less sure of a thing and would need a somewhat weak comedy actress slate to do so.

Been binging the show recently though so I personally really hope it gets both of them in and a series nod again as I’m a pretty big fan of what I’ve seen.

ReplyCopy URL

kat_ebbs
    Topics:

I think Applegate can happen even if the show is a non-factor everywhere else. Last year showed that in a crowded field with lots of options but not enough time how far your industry stature and goodwill can take you and I think she’s a lot like someone like Sandra Oh or Toni Collette in that regard.

Yeah I think an Oh/Applegate comparison is apt. I can also see Applegate just getting in at SAG, I think, like Sandra with The Chair last year?

ReplyCopy URL

adriandecker770
    Topics:

Yeah I think they’re very fond of taking one actor (who, as you said, is an industry darling) and nominating them every year regardless of if the show gets any other nominations. The first thought that sprung to my mind was William H. Macy’s nominations for Shameless, so I feel pretty convinced that Applegate at least will get a nomination.

ReplyCopy URL

Victor
    Topics:

Part of me thinks we are overestimating The Bear a bit, i don’t know why.

Emmy winner Matthew Macfadyen!!

ReplyCopy URL
    Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 473 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.