Home Forums Television 2023 Emmy Predictions: Drama Categories (Part 6)

2023 Emmy Predictions: Drama Categories (Part 6)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 647 total)
Created
3 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
( +4 hidden )
replies
views
users
kat_ebbs
wolfali
Victor

• wolfali
    Topics:

Really impressive that Anna Gunn won multiple emmys for an (undeservedly) hated role. She really beated the “‘cold bitch’ never winning” allegations. Hope Snook can do the same this year.

Although I find Shiv to be the most compelling character at least she’s done some pretty horrible things on the show so I can understand why some people hate her. But Skyler White? All she did was literally try to protect her family from danger and parts of the Breaking Bad fandom acted like she was satan or something 💀.

Solidarity with the striking writers. Pay them the wages they are owed for bringing us the content we are all on here because of!

mafro987
    Topics:

Someone needs to explain the multiple Pedro Pascal – Adam Scott comparisons to me because it’s really not making sense rn 💀

FYC: Danielle Deadwyler, Best Actress in a Leading Role

Couverture
    Topics:

Pascal isn’t passionless or untalented, but he’s hard to predict accurately given it’s a new show, not the genre they’d normally go for, he has no awards history, and has a cult celebrity-style following which sometimes proves to translate (Zendaya) and other times doesn’t.

I don’t think Pascal necessarily fits in with this celebrity cult thing. He’s only getting this much attention because of the two high profile projects he’s a part of. It’s closer to how someone like Coolidge blew up with TWL than Zendaya I think. Plus this category has heavily leaned towards new blood recently so that only favours Pascal.

You have Malek, SKB, Porter, Strong, O’Connor and Lee winning under the new system. Most from new-ish shows without much of an awards background and all first time nominees. Even then, Pascal has had a high enough profile for quite a few years now so the industry is familiar with him regardless. Also, if any place would readily accept genre stuff, that’d be the Emmys. Seeing major film critics like David Ehrlich hype it up and the rare exceptional reception right out of the gate, I’m inclined to say that we’ve moved past the point where people would hold such things against the show anyway.

A Negroni. Sbagliato. With Prosecco in it.

Reis
    Topics:

Although I find Shiv to be the most compelling character at least she’s done some pretty horrible things on the show so I can understand why some people hate her. But Skyler White? All she did was literally try to protect her family from danger and parts of the Breaking Bad fandom acted like she was satan or something 💀.

I was totally unaware about Skyler hate until few years ago

Still baffle me this idea of not awarding this type of character (Shiv, Cersei, Wendy). It’s such a dumb childish way of thinking

We really are obssessed for awards show commanded by dumb people 💀

wolfali
    Topics:

Someone needs to explain the multiple Pedro Pascal – Adam Scott comparisons to me because it’s really not making sense rn 💀

– Both have worked as jobbing actors in Hollywood for years and in that time have developed cult followings.

– Both are/were in the breakout dramas of the year.

– Both give acclaimed subdued acting performances in genre shows that have done/will do well in nominations but may just have a merely respectable showing in acting.

– Both are Gold Derby’s favourites in their categories.

– Both are in shows that have ultimately little to no shot at winning outstanding drama series.

I’m not sure about anyone else who has made comparisons between the two but when I made the comparison in my post I wasn’t using to declare that he will have the same fate as Scott did last year. More that I can see a world where he does fall short for similar reasons. It obviously isn’t an apples to apples comparison with Pascal having a lot more internet hype than Scott ever did, Scott actually having gotten award buzz before unlike Pascal and the fact that for all we know Scott could have very well been 2nd in last year’s category. But I also don’t think it’s too far-fetched to consider him potentially following a similar fate when they’ve both entered the race similarly and both have very similar industry profiles.

Solidarity with the striking writers. Pay them the wages they are owed for bringing us the content we are all on here because of!

ColtonM
    Topics:

Am I the only who completely sees a reality where The Last of Us only gets a directing nom and maybe writing and that’s it? Series is probably its next best shot but I’m still unsure about Pascal and Ramsey even getting nominated. The only reason I have them in my lineup is because everyone else on here seems to be so sure. Obviously it’s an acclaimed darling but it’s not like the Emmys haven’t ignored those before. It’s just really hard to tell when we just came off the show and it still has three months that it has to remain in the conversation plus we don’t have any indicator of its industry/awards success.

mafro987
    Topics:

– Both have worked as jobbing actors in Hollywood for years and in that time have developed cult followings.

– Both are/were in the breakout dramas of the year.

– Both give acclaimed subdued acting performances in genre shows that have done/will do well in nominations but may just have a merely respectable showing in acting.

– Both are Gold Derby’s favourites in their categories.

– Both are in shows that have ultimately little to no shot at winning outstanding drama series.

I’m not sure about anyone else who has made comparisons between the two but when I made the comparison in my post I wasn’t using to declare that he will have the same fate as Scott did last year. More that I can see a world where he does fall short for similar reasons. It obviously isn’t an apples to apples comparison with Pascal having a lot more internet hype than Scott ever did, Scott actually having gotten award buzz before unlike Pascal and the fact that for all we know Scott could have very well been 2nd in last year’s category. But I also don’t think it’s too far-fetched to consider him potentially following a similar fate when they’ve both entered the race similarly and both have very similar industry profiles.

Thanks for expanding! I really don’t see how Scott’s ‘cult’ following can in any way be compared to Pascal’s wide-ranging support, nor do I think the comparison between Severance and The Last of Us as breakout shows works. Someone else made the comparison to Scott a couple pages back after I made the comparison to Lee, but I still feel the Lee comparison holds up a lot better. I don’t see Pascal’s lack of awards history as a hindrance in any way (though I don’t think you were necessarily implying that it is). I also don’t see how Pascal has a similar industry profile to Scott. I have to just agree to disagree on this one.

FYC: Danielle Deadwyler, Best Actress in a Leading Role

wolfali
    Topics:

Thanks for expanding! I really don’t see how Scott’s ‘cult’ following can in any way be compared to Pascal’s wide-ranging support, nor do I think the comparison between Severance and The Last of Us as breakout shows works. Someone else made the comparison to Scott a couple pages back after I made the comparison to Lee, but I still feel the Lee comparison holds up a lot better. I don’t see Pascal’s lack of awards history as a hindrance in any way (though I don’t think you were necessarily implying that it is). I also don’t see how Pascal has a similar industry profile to Scott. I have to just agree to disagree on this one.

Fair enough!

ReginaIsKing
    Topics:

Personally, I feel that when you compare the exact circumstances there’s a lot different. Scott didn’t really have that much buzz individually like Pascal does, in fact if at all, and Pascal’s star status has greatly increased in recent years thanks to The Mandalorian. Pascal also has baitier and more emotional moments in TLOU than Scott did in Severance. I only ever heard people talking about him on forums and did have some slight confusion as to the winning predictions. In fact, I would say Severance barely registered much with audiences even if it got good audience reviews, which ultimately hindered it as well. The same cannot be said for The Last of Us which has undoubtedly broken into the cultural sphere if not already turned into a cultural phenomenon like Squid Game.

kat_ebbs
    Topics:

I take back my Zendaya comparison and will say I think the more accurate comparison is Oscar Isaac.

All that said, he is wildly clickbaity and viral, which, past a certain feeds on itself and it is hard to actually clarify what is just noise.

To give some perspective on this (I cannot remember who it was in 2022)

2021 most searched nominee: Anya Taylor-Joy. Competitive, ultimately did not win.

2020 most searched nominee: Zendaya. Accurate, she won drama.

2019 cycle most searched nominee: Sophie Turner. Visibility probably helped her both get nominated and actively FYCd but wasn’t overly competitive.

Jays
    Topics:

I’ll eat crow if he does end up winning, but I’m real bullish on Pascal not taking home the Emmy. I just don’t think it’s the type of performance that wins, and I personally thought he was great! I’d say I even prefer more subtle/restrained performances.

I think it only being March + Succession airing after TLOU hurts him, especially since it sounds like Succession is going to stick the landing. Strong and Cox are both sooooo much showier and just get more to do that I think they’ll suck up all the buzz in that category for the months to come. I don’t think Pascal’s performance and the passion for it will have the longevity to withstand that.

adriandecker770
    Topics:

Just want to add that my prediction of Strong winning is nothing against Pascal, I like him a lot and loved his performance and I’d honestly be perfectly satisfied if he won. I prefer Succession overall but Strong has literally already won, so honestly I might even prefer a Pascal win. Just saying this because I realized me talking about him having breakout episodes maybe made it sound like he has bad episodes, which isn’t the case. Even when he isn’t the focus of an episode I think he’s a great scene partner, and even in stuff like episode 3 I think his performance is pretty important in tying that standalone episode into the larger narrative/themes. To me it just seems like a Kendall Roy type character is more what they’d want to award, especially for the last season of a show, but I will not be upset if I’m proven wrong.

jjjmoss
    Topics:

Since 2004, no one’s won Drama S Actress after already going 0/2.
    The ones who recovered from their first loss: Anna Gunn, Thandiwe Newton.

Snook is a no.

Postdigger
    Topics:

Emmys supporting categories usually goes to the loud fan favorite performance of a show…Aaron Paul/Dinklage/McFadyen/Garner/Newton all fall under this category…Snook has an uphill climb if she wants to win

kat_ebbs
    Topics:

Just want to add that my prediction of Strong winning is nothing against Pascal, I like him a lot and loved his performance and I’d honestly be perfectly satisfied if he won.

Same. He’s top 4 for a reason and honestly based on performances seen (can’t speak to the final season of Succession) all four would be worthy winners. My hesitancy on Pascal is more about separating the performance from the online fave/celebrity of it all.

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 647 total)

The topic ‘2023 Emmy Predictions: Drama Categories (Part 6)’ is closed to new replies.