Home Forums Television 2023 Emmy Predictions: Drama Categories

2023 Emmy Predictions: Drama Categories

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 211 through 225 (of 505 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
Victor
kat_ebbs

• adriandecker770
    Topics:

Yeah, I think it isn’t necessarily a bias against Peacock/Starz/Paramount and moreso that there’s just so many streaming services. Stuff like HBO, Netflix and FX are more established and I think there’s more of a reliability of “Okay I feel confident these networks/streamers will give me bang for my buck.” If a streamer is unpopular with the general public it’ll probably also be unpopular with emmy voters.

Also, I really wasn’t expecting much from A Friend of the Family but the reviews have been pretty positive, so Peacock has one possible hit in their late 2022 slate.

Jacob "Oscar Boy" Boe
    Topics:

I don’t think there’s any bias towards Paramount+ or Starz. I just think it’s more that it’s impossible for any working actor to watch shows on every streaming service or cable network never mind be subscribed to all of them. I mean if TV lovers like ourselves can’t watch every show and can’t afford to subscribe to every streaming service why would members of the Television Academy be able to? I love television more than most people but I wouldn’t choose to subscribe to a new streaming service to watch a show that I probably wouldn’t be able to talk about or recommend to anyone else irl over paying my heating and electricity bills.

But they probably don’t need to worry about the affordability of being subscribed to every streaming service. Plus they literally have a Viewing Platform for those in the Academy to watch stuff, so they don’t even need to be subscribed and spend any money. If those streaming services were being minimally nominated ATL, then I might agree, but with Yellowstone, Gaslight, Evil, Dr. Death, Outlander, and The Good Fight not receiving a single nom, and Girls5Eva only getting a writing nom when that branch has always been known to nominate underseen shows (see Freaks & Geeks), the conclusion has to be that there’s a bias against Paramount(+), Peacock, and Starz. I understand that they’re not established, and that does play a part in it, but Apple TV+, Disney+, and HBO Max haven’t struggled.

Top Ten 2022 Films:
    1. Everything Everywhere All At Once
    2. The Fabelmans
    3. The Banshees of Inisherin
    4. The Batman
    5. TAR
    6. Top Gun: Maverick
    7. Bros
    8. The Woman King
    9. Elvis
    10. The Menu

adriandecker770
    Topics:

That’s a good point, I think I misunderstood how the process worked. I thought the academy got screeners of specific episodes and thought “well, that’s all good, but I’d probably be more likely to nominate a show where I’d seen the whole season beyond the submitted screeners,” but from what you’re saying that’s not the case.

I suppose Apple and Disney have more prestige behind their name, but then Peacock really should have the prestige of NBC behind it. does it literally just come down to the name? I don’t think HBO Max is much of an issue since I don’t think people make a lot of distinction between HBO Max and HBO itself, but I fail to see why Apple has done so well while those three streamers are floundering. Maybe it’s just that Severance and Ted Lasso were able to tap into the zeitgeist and get hugely popular? But then I would think that’d carry over to Outlander as well. Confusing.

nkb325
    Topics:

I still think general audience accessibility is a factor. Sure emmy voters have ACCESS to all the shows on their screening platforms, but their are still only so many hours in the day and they’re certainly going to prioritize that exciting new HBO show that everyone is talking about over the Peacock show with very little buzz. The only exception to this would maybe be Yellowstone, which certainly had a lot of people talking, but by then it was already the 4th season so it mightve just seemed like too big a hurdle for people to catch up.

Victor
    Topics:

IMO it comes down to viewership, Apple in fact only has like two shows that really broke through and they both were hugely watched and talked about.
    Ofc it’s different for HBO and Netflix. It looks like there’s always buzz and chatter for shows there even if they aren’t hits.

Emmy winner Matthew Macfadyen!!

Jacob "Oscar Boy" Boe
    Topics:

I still think general audience accessibility is a factor. Sure emmy voters have ACCESS to all the shows on their screening platforms, but their are still only so many hours in the day and they’re certainly going to prioritize that exciting new HBO show that everyone is talking about over the Peacock show with very little buzz. The only exception to this would maybe be Yellowstone, which certainly had a lot of people talking, but by then it was already the 4th season so it mightve just seemed like too big a hurdle for people to catch up.

I agree that it is a factor. There are always multiple factors.

I just put more weight on the bias because we’ve seen a very buzzy show on every one of these platforms miss, e.g. The Good Fight and Yellowstone on Paramount, Girls5Eva on Peacock, and Outlander on Starz (I disagree on Yellowstone being the only example, as all of these shows were widely predicted for major Emmy nominations at one point or another and missed but got in somewhere else)

Top Ten 2022 Films:
    1. Everything Everywhere All At Once
    2. The Fabelmans
    3. The Banshees of Inisherin
    4. The Batman
    5. TAR
    6. Top Gun: Maverick
    7. Bros
    8. The Woman King
    9. Elvis
    10. The Menu

DvirBA
    Topics:

House of the Dragon has been very decent lately and it seems things are just getting heated up.
    Do you think it has a chance in any above the line categories?

kat_ebbs
    Topics:

I don’t think HBO Max is much of an issue since I don’t think people make a lot of distinction between HBO Max and HBO itself, but I fail to see why Apple has done so well while those three streamers are floundering. Maybe it’s just that Severance and Ted Lasso were able to tap into the zeitgeist and get hugely popular? But then I would think that’d carry over to Outlander as well. Confusing.

Much less so with the other streamers, but I have a suspicion that a lot of Starz content does better internationally than in the US, which isn’t always easy to pick up online. They do a lot of book adaptations which probably resell well.

braydenfitzsimmons
    Topics:

In all seriousness (not necessarily relating to Outlander) what is their issue with Starz? I’m too many thousand kilometres away to know if there is a particular reason for their disaffection with the network?

I think it’s partially because when the time came that Starz starting making buzzy scripted originals, it was too late.

In the 2000s, most television consumers had access to nearly every channel via their cable package so chances are if a channel that you’re already watching decides to start making original programming, it’ll will likely be some sort of hit.

We saw this so much in the post-HBO pre-Netflix originals era (1999-2013), with A&E, AMC, BBC America, Discovery, Disney Channel, FX, Hallmark, History Channel, Lifetime, Reelz, Sci-Fi Channel, Showtime, Sundance TV, TNT, TV Land, The WB and USA Network all landing major Primetime nominations in the period but only BBC America, FX & Showtime have managed to survive with multiple scripted originals getting Primetime noms since then (not including AMC, since their only Emmys haul in that time came from the tail ends of Mad Men & Breaking Bad and it’s spin-off Better Call Saul).

Now that we’re in the age of streaming and cord-cutting, it’s just harder for a non-established cable first brand to stand out. And given how we now have to pay for these channels/streamers individually instead of a cable package bundle, it’s just not worth the effort for folks to search out something on a brand new platform.

I will say this for Starz, they did manage to turn Outlander & Power into two hugely popular franchisable hits with devoted fanbases. That’s something that every channel and streamer is desperately chasing right now.

kat_ebbs
    Topics:

House of the Dragon has been very decent lately and it seems things are just getting heated up. Do you think it has a chance in any above the line categories?

I’d say HoTD gets in but is a bit muted acting wise, I just don’t see any real evidence that the acting branch have taken to it. I think the goodwill from GoT and the relative quality pulls the show through.

The winter awards tendency to be somewhat ambivalent (though not outright hostile) around GoT actors which I suspect will also probably continue which won’t help with momentum.

jjjmoss
    Topics:

I’d say HoTD gets in but is a bit muted acting wise, I just don’t see any real evidence that the acting branch have taken to it. I think the goodwill from GoT and the relative quality pulls the show through. The winter awards tendency to be somewhat ambivalent (though not outright hostile) around GoT actors which I suspect will also probably continue which won’t help with momentum.

sag, individual nominees: dinklage

globes, individual nominee for first 5 seasons: dinklage

(bonus, not winter, but tca, individual nominees: dinklage)

kat_ebbs
    Topics:

sag, individual nominees: dinklage globes, individual nominee for first 5 seasons: dinklage (bonus, not winter, but tca, individual nominees: dinklage)

In fairness I don’t think HBO ever really worked out how to prioritise the rest of  their cast strategically, though I’m not sure this year will be much different.

CCA were relatively kind to them.

Victor
    Topics:

The Idol delayed to 2023
    New footage

Emmy winner Matthew Macfadyen!!

wolfali
    Topics:

The Idol delayed to 2023 New footage

https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js

This looks like one of those fake shows on Barry

FYC: Better Call Saul and The Good Fight in all categories including Bob Odenkirk, Christine Baranski and Rhea Seehorn.

wolfali
    Topics:

Me begging HBO to keep The White Lotus in limited so Cooke and Seehorn can get nominated:

FYC: Better Call Saul and The Good Fight in all categories including Bob Odenkirk, Christine Baranski and Rhea Seehorn.

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 211 through 225 (of 505 total)

The topic ‘2023 Emmy Predictions: Drama Categories’ is closed to new replies.