Home Forums Television 2023 Emmy Predictions: Drama Categories

2023 Emmy Predictions: Drama Categories

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 481 through 495 (of 505 total)
Created
4 months ago
Last Reply
3 months ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
Victor
kat_ebbs

• kat_ebbs
    Topics:

Yeah I really have a problem with star-billed series regulars submitting as guests. I sure hope Cooke doesn’t (I don’t think she will).

I kind of wonder if Cooke had something cut because it’s incredibly atypical for someone with billing like that to be guest eligible.

24fanatic
    Topics:

If Olivia Cooke is eligible in Guest… and she is, having only been in 4 out of 10 episodes this season… why wouldn’t they submit her there and get the easy nom/potential win???

I mean… she was only paid for less than half of a season’s work.

nkb325
    Topics:

If Olivia Cooke is eligible in Guest… and she is, having only been in 4 out of 10 episodes this season… why wouldn’t they submit her there and get the easy nom/potential win???

I mean… she was only paid for less than half of a season’s work.

I don’t watch the show, is she billed as a guest star or is she in the main credits? Because if she’s on a series regular contract then even if she’s only in 4 episodes girl still got paid for all 10 haha

Victor
    Topics:

I don’t watch the show, is she billed as a guest star or is she in the main credits? Because if she’s on a series regular contract then even if she’s only in 4 episodes girl still got paid for all 10 haha

She’s in the main credits for 6-10
    Before that is the younger actress who played Alicent, Emily Carey.

Cooke is NOT a guest on the show tho, it would be so weird to see her in guest just because she can.

Please! These gays, they're trying to murder me!

Aziz Sliti
    Topics:

Succession new teaser. Spring 2023!!

https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js

Roman is definitely gay/bi .

Cocastique
    Topics:

If I’m not wrong, and someone please correct me in case I am because i haven’t finished the show, D’Arcy, Alcock and Carey are elegible for Supporting, all of them were in 5/10 episodes. Cooke was in only 4, which makes her Guest elegible.

D’Arcy was in 4 as well. They’re credited for 5 because they narrated the opening scene in episode 1.

wolfali
    Topics:

I honestly don’t mind if HBO submits Olivia Cooke in guest. She falls into the eligibility for it so why shouldn’t she? Many shows have submitted people on main cast member contracts in guest due to the eligibility loophole in the past including the likes of House of Cards and The Handmaid’s Tale, both of which not only got multiple nominations in this category for main cast members but the latter even won guest actress twice for people on series regular contracts, and no one batted an eyelid then. I’m sure no one would do the same if Giancarlo Esposito decides to go guest this time round for Better Call Saul with him only being in 1/3 of the season (personally speaking I would be fine with that). Until the Television Academy decides to properly define who is a guest actor on a show and who isn’t and sort out these cases of people who aren’t actually guests competing in guest and people who aren’t actually prominent enough to be supporting competing in supporting (i.e. Emerald Fennell, Luke Kirby, Holly Hunter) I don’t see why someone who meets the eligibility requirements should not submit there. Especially when it wouldn’t be so much of a competitive disadvantage in a category where voters would otherwise name-check previous winners and nominees in cameos instead of finding an actually worthy guest performance to nominate under this system. Of course whether Cooke or HBO actually decide to submit her in guest is another thing.

With regards to House of the Dragon‘s nomination chances, I think it has the potential to perform really well with the actors? Of course it’s probably not going to be win competitive for outstanding drama series with both The Crown and Succession in contention this cycle but if it gets the Golden Globe, DGA, PGA, WGA and SAG ensemble nominations combo that most people are predicting it to then it would more or less automatically be ahead of Better Call Saul, The Handmaid’s Tale, The Rings of Power etc in drama series and is it really too hard to imagine it could get acting nominations over The Mandalorian? There’s Yellowjackets of course (with added Lauren Ambrose and Simone Kessell) and The Last of Us (although outside of Luna it doesn’t seem like anyone from that show is going to be supporting) but assuming that House of the Dragon doesn’t falter during its winter run and we don’t get an out of nowhere breakout like Severance, this show is probably going to be top 4 in the series race.

And if it’s a top 4 series contender and one of the most seen shows of the cycle, is there really much stopping it from doing well with the actors in an otherwise wide open field? Granted there could be apathy amongst the actors for it like there was for Stranger Things last year but I feel like if Smith (who worth mentioning is the only actor from this show to have previously been recognised by the Television Academy) and Considine are getting nominations then should there really be much stopping Cooke, D’Arcy or even Alcock from coming along for the ride? The show is obviously not going to get the Succession season 3 or Game of Thrones season 8 treatment and get double digit acting nominations. But I think what we learnt with this preceding Emmy cycle is how the actors aren’t always the most discerning when it comes to some of these shows. Many people didn’t even think Severance would get acting nominations for anyone outside of Patricia Arquette because Turturro and Walken were in a competitive category and Scott hadn’t been nominated before but then all four got in because of how high up the show was in the series race. Euphoria got the three acting nominations and Martha Kelly but not without being top 4 in the series race. Likewise Sadie Sink (who had LOTS of individual buzz) failed to get nominated for season 4 of Stranger Things, but not without everyone else from that show (including 2x nominees David Harbour and Millie Bobby Brown) also falling short. Ditto with Mandy Moore and the final season of This is Us. If we’re assuming House of the Dragon is going to be strong enough to get Smith and Considine into a category that could otherwise be filled to the brim with people from The Crown and Succession, why can’t Cooke and D’Arcy make it into a category where their main opponents will be people like Samira Wiley?

FYC: Better Call Saul, The English and The Good Fight in all categories including Emily Blunt, Bob Odenkirk, Christine Baranski and Rhea Seehorn.

wolfali
    Topics:

HBO having House of the Dragon, White Lotus, His Dark Materials, The Last of Us, Succession, Barry, Hacks back to back its insane we love our it girl

The erasure…

FYC: Better Call Saul, The English and The Good Fight in all categories including Emily Blunt, Bob Odenkirk, Christine Baranski and Rhea Seehorn.

Matheus Vaz
    Topics:

just like tom, the sexual tension between him and greg woof

Sir Shaw
    Topics:

a recurring theme

Couverture
    Topics:

She’s in the main credits for 6-10

She’s not credited for the 10th.

Cooke will probably just go the Josh O’Connor route for The Crown S3. HBO can submit Sian Brooke from HotD and they will have multiple people from TLOU and Succession to push as well.

Admittedly The Crown had a strong contender in guest but not in supporting, which is the opposite of HotD’s dilemma here.

A Negroni. Sbagliato. With Prosecco in it.

Victor
    Topics:

She’s not credited for the 10th.

I could swear she was, thanks for the clarification.

Please! These gays, they're trying to murder me!

Kay
    Topics:

I need Emma D’Arcy to be nominated and win. They are so underrated here and I find them better than Cooke and Alcock. Also their episode is the finale, possibly the writing submission and the most baity episode for an actor out of everyone (Considine’s episode 8 comes second place). Their character suffers loss in a lot of ways, betrayal and gets crowned in a very emotional scene. They cry, they yell, they get choked and have the craziest birth scene I’ve ever seen on television. They also play the lead character (now for the rest of the show) much more beloved by fans than Cooke’s character. Underestimate them at your own peril.

Reis
    Topics:

kat_ebbs
    Topics:

She’s in the main credits for 6-10 Before that is the younger actress who played Alicent, Emily Carey. Cooke is NOT a guest on the show tho, it would be so weird to see her in guest just because she can.

I think it’s fine. HBO are more than aware of the episode eligibility requirements. Four out of ten episodes makes cast SAG ensemble eligible and they can make the judgement call. If she wasn’t playing a split-actress character or the episodes weren’t fresh in mind it wouldn’t feel so jarring.

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 481 through 495 (of 505 total)

The topic ‘2023 Emmy Predictions: Drama Categories’ is closed to new replies.