Home Forums Television 2023 Emmy Predictions: Drama Categories

2023 Emmy Predictions: Drama Categories

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 505 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
Victor
kat_ebbs

• Victor
    Topics:

Brian cox wasn’t seen on the set of Succession since late july , he probably won’t be a lead this season .

Kieran Culkin was at Colbert in August and he said how one of his acting tips makes Brian jealous or something like that.
    He had just came from the set, he’s probably in.

The Last of Us trailer already with +2M views, it’s coming.

Emmy winner Matthew Macfadyen!!

hopelesstar
    Topics:

The Last of Us trailer already with +2M views, it’s coming.

10,1m on twitter

kat_ebbs
    Topics:

, I don’t get the sense that the people who are watching this show are just Game of Thrones or GRR Martin fanboys. It feels like it has a much broader audience than those who just adored its spiritual predecessor, I guess almost like Better Call Saul in a sense.

You’re right, it’s not necessarily the same audience – it is overindexing young (a bit “baby’s first Game of Thrones”, I have a tendency to think it’s getting a lot of aged-out MCU fans) This was confirmed – I think by Samba.

I think the bottom has dropped out of it a bit on audiences over 40, 45 – the linear drop on the opener is more precipitous than Barry, Facebook (which trends older) are way more grumpy about it, and even given my wariness around IMDB votes at the moment, it’s notably weaker there (both on scores and votes), particularly with women.

I mention the above because who audiences go for acting wise might differ if the audience is quite a bit younger.

jjjmoss
    Topics:

with euphoria/squid on break who are our non-colorless lead contenders?

Jacob "Oscar Boy" Boe
    Topics:

Unless Pachinko airs a new season in 2023, I don’t think there’s anyone.

Top Ten 2022 Films:
    1. Everything Everywhere All At Once
    2. The Fabelmans
    3. The Banshees of Inisherin
    4. The Batman
    5. TAR
    6. Top Gun: Maverick
    7. Bros
    8. The Woman King
    9. Elvis
    10. The Menu

kat_ebbs
    Topics:

Unless Pachinko airs a new season in 2023, I don’t think there’s anyone.

There are a couple of Latino leads – Pascal, notably, but also Diego Luna for Andor.

There’s also Omar Sy (Lupin S3 should be out I suspect in early 2023), but I think Netflix running this last season in International might mean they can’t reverse that decision?

kat_ebbs
    Topics:

Ah – I am sure I’ve seen it is going limited (but some people have said drama) but Jacob Anderson for Interview With The Vampire?

Jacob "Oscar Boy" Boe
    Topics:

There are a couple of Latino leads – Pascal, notably, but also Diego Luna for Andor. There’s also Omar Sy (Lupin S3 should be out I suspect in early 2023), but I think Netflix running this last season in International might mean they can’t reverse that decision?

Wasn’t including Pascal or Luna since they’re Latino, but you are right that they’re contenders (less so Luna).

As for Sy, I’m not sure on the rule, but he could barely be considered a contender (I only toy with the idea because of Lupin’s popularity and Sy’s Globe and TCA noms).

Ah – I am sure I’ve seen it is going limited (but some people have said drama) but Jacob Anderson for Interview With The Vampire?

Yeah I don’t think this is limited despite what I’ve seen, but I dunno if I’d consider him to be a contender. I think AMC is kinda done now with BCS over.

So basically jjjmoss, not really.

Top Ten 2022 Films:
    1. Everything Everywhere All At Once
    2. The Fabelmans
    3. The Banshees of Inisherin
    4. The Batman
    5. TAR
    6. Top Gun: Maverick
    7. Bros
    8. The Woman King
    9. Elvis
    10. The Menu

kat_ebbs
    Topics:

Yeah I don’t think this is limited despite what I’ve seen, but I dunno if I’d consider him to be a contender. I think AMC is kinda done now with BCS over.

No, I get it, but we also never know. It’s September.

The slightly more realistic one might be Yellowjackets building and getting in Tawny Cypress?

Matheus Vaz
    Topics:

Melanie Lynskey in The Last of Us Omg my girl is coming for that guest emmy 😍

L@br@dor
    Topics:

I’m late to the yellowjackets party but I’ve spent the last hours of my life binge watching the show. It was a bit hard to get into, I just started being invested around episode 4 (currently finishing up episode 8),

but there’s one thing I want to say in regards to its Emmy acting nominations…

how in hell was Melanie Lynskey the one singled out as lead and people even considered her to be win competitive ??? In my opinion, Tawny Cypress is leagues better with a more compelling story arc.

I know it’s kinda useless now since we know who won but people kept saying Zendaya was a supporting character in season 2 and she couldn’t win mainly due to that… but adult Shauna is equally if not more of a supporting character in this very well made ensemble show.

That aside, I think Yellowjackets is very good and I can’t wait to see the last 2 episodes maybe adult Shauna’s storyline with the seemingly suspicious “artists” goes somewhere interesting.

Aziz Sliti
    Topics:
    L@br@dor wrote:

I’m late to the yellowjackets party but I’ve spent the last hours of my life binge watching the show. It was a bit hard to get into, I just started being invested around episode 4 (currently finishing up episode 8), but there’s one thing I want to say in regards to its Emmy acting nominations… how in hell was Melanie Lynskey the one singled out as lead and people even considered her to be win competitive ??? In my opinion, Tawny Cypress is leagues better with a more compelling story arc. I know it’s kinda useless now since we know who won but people kept saying Zendaya was a supporting character in season 2 and she couldn’t win mainly due to that… but adult Shauna is equally if not more of a supporting character in this very well made ensemble show. That aside, I think Yellowjackets is very good and I can’t wait to see the last 2 episodes maybe adult Shauna’s storyline with the seemingly suspicious “artists” goes somewhere interesting.

That’s exactly what I felt

kat_ebbs
    Topics:
    L@br@dor wrote:

how in hell was Melanie Lynskey the one singled out as lead and people even considered her to be win competitive ??? In my opinion, Tawny Cypress is leagues better with a more compelling story arc. I know it’s kinda useless now since we know who won but people kept saying Zendaya was a supporting character in season 2 and she couldn’t win mainly due to that… but adult Shauna is equally if not more of a supporting character in this very well made ensemble show

She wasn’t submitted as a sole lead – they submitted Lynskey, Cypress, Ricci and Lewis in lead initially, and Ricci requested to be run in supporting (which was ultimately a very good decision). The younger actresses were also run in supporting.

Drama King
    Topics:
    L@br@dor wrote:

In my opinion, Tawny Cypress is leagues better with a more compelling story arc.

I agree, though maybe not “leagues better” as I thought Lynskey was very, very good. I’m really hoping Tawny Cypress’ character arc goes even bigger next season given where it ended – my favorite part of the ending! – and maybe she can enter the Emmy fray, too. What’s hard is that they’re all basically supporting roles given the structure of the show, and so an uphill battle to really compete in lead.

With YJ and HOTD, wishing one of these award shows had some kind of award for combining the actors who play one character into one big award.  Taissa and Shauna, and then the HOTD princess/queens… if SAG can have an ensemble award, why not this one? or, how about it, Gold Derby?

wolfali
    Topics:

There’s also Omar Sy (Lupin S3 should be out I suspect in early 2023), but I think Netflix running this last season in International might mean they can’t reverse that decision?

They can submit wherever they wish because it’s a Netflix original production and multiple shows have recently shifted from international to prime-time (both This Way Up and Back to Life are Hulu and Showtime UK co-productions that dipped in at the former but were on the ballot for the latter this year, with the latter even getting an International Emmy nomination for its first season).

When Lupin first aired it was widely presumed that all Netflix series that aren’t in the English language would be ineligible for the Primetime award until Squid Game really blew up so my guess with Lupin is that Netflix already submitted it for the International Emmy for its first two seasons (both of which are within the eligibility period of this current International Emmys cycle as their cycle runs from January to December 2021) without thinking it could ever do well with any of the mainstream TV organisations like the Globes, TCA and BAFTAs (all three of which either Sy or the show received nominations at) or the American guilds (where it also received quite a few nods). I think whether Netflix move it to Primetime probably depends on how well it does at the International Emmys next month and how packed their slate is this year outside of The Crown. Seeing how well Sy did at the winter awards I do think he probably would have gotten nominated in 2021 and I think Netflix knows this. The show is a massive global hit and I vaguely remember at the time when Hammond said on his Deadline podcast that a lot of voters he talked to said they wanted to vote for the show and were frustrated it and Call My Agent (which also had a disproportionate guild performance for a Primetime ineligible series) weren’t on the ballot.

FYC: Better Call Saul and The Good Fight in all categories including Bob Odenkirk, Christine Baranski and Rhea Seehorn.

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 505 total)

The topic ‘2023 Emmy Predictions: Drama Categories’ is closed to new replies.